Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 976 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jun 19, 01:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, IM half Cherokee Indian and cant speak a word of it my grandparents on my mothers side are white people and Irish so when they adopted us they didnt want their friends to know our father was an Indian man .Sadly when I located my aunt to get my Indian roll number most of the older cherokees had passed and most of the younger ones were speaking the English language.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 527 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 19, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVY,

YouTube is a wonderful resource for learning just about everything. I'm sure you could find some great instructional videos on the Cherokee language!

Posted: 08 Jun 19, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I thought about it what I would really like to do is locate some of my siblings that weren't raised by my grandparents I have 6 younger that I'm aware of..Curious where they are.All the tribes have their own language so I might be able to talk to the citizenship office in Cherokee county they maybe able to help me their may be classes on site for that type of thing.

Posted: 08 Jun 19, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have too agree That Freddie was living a very different life once he moved to munich.I think Barbara influenced him negatively.She also introduced him to that guy winnie that was one of her friends which in my book looked like a shady character.There is a old saying misery loves company and I think that's what Barbara and her group brought to his life.

The Black Queen's Kid user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Black Queen's Kid
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevyman, I think that the Munich thing was probably very exciting at first. Freddie and the band could do what they wanted without being hounded by the press. But as time went on all that excess became a curse. They were in a world that wasn't so wonderful, and I think that they all suffered a little for it. Mind you, this is based on reading interviews, so I don't know for sure. But sometimes the thing you think you want becomes very damaging.

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bk, yes I couldnt agree with you more .They were probably having the time of their lives.Im just waundering though everybody says there is a rock bottom Was Munich it for Freddie.Is that why he maybe got the hell out of there or was it Barbara either one would be a good reason.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 657 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I hope you are well ?

I wonder if you could help. Some of us here have spotted the most amazing painting on the wall inside Garden Lodge. t looks like it is in the room where you would sit down to eat.
It is a painting of Freddie in a suit with a cigarette in his left hand and two cats on his right side.
Did you see this painting when you visited ?
Did he ever tell you about it, was it a gift or did he commission it.

If someone wants to add a photo of it that would be great. I don't know how to do this here.

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow I think the band were pretty amazed as although when they were performing in a non speaking english country, the fans often had no problem singing along word for word.
I love the performance of 'Love of my love' from Rock in Rio as you can hear the crowd sing so clearly it gave me goosebumps. It really is amazing.

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut , I seen the painting You guys you are talking about it is gorgeous.

FreddieDarling user is on Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 544 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Freddie and Cat Painting........

Attachment: 2019691466909078.png 239 KB
This has been downloaded 54 time(s).

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk,Thanks for letting me know about Barbara being a translator that makes perfect sense he needed her to do that for him.That was brilliant thinking on his part kill to birds with one stone.That would explain why she would spend so much time with them.

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thank you FreddieDarling

Chevyman I can't imagine having a relationship with someone with a different speaking language to me. How on earth would that work. Barbara and Winnie were best friends and I think she introduced Freddie to Winnie. I think her being around all the time may have had its positives and negatives.

mika251 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi folks,

Just to keep you informed,.. Rudi´s book hasn´t been released yet, Only God knows why. So even those who can read German have to wait :((( Finger´s crossed for English translation as well.

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 22:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mika, what's that Rudi dude gonna talk about in his book just curious when Freddie was in munich.I dont personally think that would be very interesting.But your right it would have to be English for sure .Wonder why that guy is writing a book after all this time anyway who knows it will be interesting to see what this one has to say.

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 22:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay sorry mika, it may be a good read he's been with band a while just hope everything is depicted correctly.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, thanks for locating that portrait of Freddie. Oddly enough I had just yesterday deleted it from my files and couldn't share it here. I hope Thor can tell us a bit more.

I'm not going to engage in a discussion about Barbara Valentin. She was clearly important to Freddie for a long time as a translator and friend. I think she tried to get too close and began to read things into the friendship that weren't there. However, she was at Garden Lodge more than once, and even appears in some of the Garden Lodge tapes. There are also still photos that show her at Garden Lodge. I have to respect all of Freddie's choices in companions whether I like them or not. As for Munich, it wasn't all bad. Freddie had a treasured relationship there with Mack and his family. I believe they helped ground him while he was there.

As for Rudi, I'm very excited about his book. I went through this same discussion several pages back, but I feel I need to express my thoughts again. He had a very long professional relationship with the band and a personal friendship with Freddie. He is in many of the "making of" videos. He, along with his partner, directed The Untold Story, a highly respected documentary about Freddie's life. He featured Freddie in an episode of his television show. He clearly had a love for Freddie that remains to this day and I think he will have many stories to share that will be new to us. I love learning the behind-the-scenes stories. When you see him working with Freddie it is clear that Freddie had great respect for Rudi's craft. He's also going to release a new video with the interviews he did with Freddie. I look forward to having them all in one place. Frankly, I don't care why he decided to write his book now. I'm just so grateful that he is going to give us new stories. It is harder and harder to find new material about Freddie and I'm exceedingly grateful for anything I can get.

Thor and Lee know I am equally excited about their book. I have been here from the beginning and couldn't have been happier to learn that they would finally publish. Same thing as with Rudi, it's new material. I celebrate that in any form.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL, quick apology. I said I wasn't going to engage in a discussion about Barbara, and then turned around and did just that. It's out of my system now. Sorry!

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 01:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, Thanks for clarification I didn't know Barbara and Winnie were best friends that explains alot however, she leaves a bad taste in my mouth but I wont make any further comments on that subject.

FreddieDarling user is on Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 544 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5, Yes cannot wait until we (please God!) ,have the chance to buy Rudi's book and Thor and Lee's book.

Rudi always seems to hold such affection and respect for Freddie, and that Freddie trusted Rudi and Hannes to be so near to him when he was so poorly speaks volumes to me about how those feelings must have been reciprocal.

I wonder what the hold up in the book is? I feel sure he must be going to release it in English. Just think how many territories he'd be missing out on sales in if he doesn't!

Hope you all have a great week and I hope Thor or Lee can help us to solve the Freddie and Oscar (?) Painting Mystery!

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy you made me giggle .
I do the same sometimes , can't help it. The only thing I'm sat it it's not a given for us to like someone in Freddie's life . If we find he/she did things not in Freddie's best interest
Im.very much looking forwArd to Rudi's book as he Will no doubt have lots of endearing things to say about Freddie and their personal and working relationship.

Regarding Barbara , I feel we don't have to respect because she was close to Freddie . No doubt Freddie wanted her in his life but was she genuine. Remember it's said Freddie could often overlook bad traits in a person . Anyway it's what she did after Freddie passed away that has turned public opinion of her. I'm not sure Freddie would be happy if he knew what she had claimed, not just sex but violence.

I don't hate her , I just think she was hurt by events .

Take care

Doughnut