Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a topsy turvy message , apologies it's my stupid kindle.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1084 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnot, I know a person can overlook bad traits in another person because we all have them we are human.However, there comes a point when this person in your life has help make things toxic and the parties over and it's not fun anymore. You are living in a house of pain and it's time to go.I dont believe he felt this way about any of the other places and friends he met He at one point wanted to cut her out of his life.He never did or wanted to do that with his Newyork buddies so that to me speaks louder than anything.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm going to beat a dead horse just one more time, and then I'm going back to my corner to hide. Here's a great video about Rudi.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2018/12/14/world-famous-music-filmmaker-remembers-friend-freddie-mercury/?fbclid=IwAR0UEpUU29SbhYvU_C4XF2p1H70Ile63BsGXopUdJNlGJ6RJZcAhwgjpa2I

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nice video thank you Katy

No need to go back into your corner, its good to have a discussion as there are differing opinions. As long as it doesn't get heated or nasty we can share views.
My take on Barbara is she went crazy after Freddie died and made claims that people in his circle have denied. To me that not a good person as Freddie couldn't defend himself .

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone is free to go back into their comment at anytime there is no nastiness here have a good one

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone is free to go back into their comment at anytime there is no nastiness here have a good one

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

chevyman Barbara was in Freddie's life even up to Christmas 1990.
It appears he reconciled with her after he left Munich. She was included in Peter's book as being on the coach for the Magic Tour dates in Wembley.
It seems to be sometime in 1991 that he cut her off again along with Peter Straker.

Whatever people think of her she was obviously someone Freddie wanted in his life. That is why I say it is after his death that she said crazy things .

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say judging by Rudi's comments in the video, cocaine and Vodka was widely available and they were all on it. Those that Freddie seemed to spend his time with. Thor has said Freddie lived a different lifestyle in Munch , a lifestyle I'd say he enjoyed but perhaps after a while stopped enjoying...who knows.
Phoebe says Barbara was a lot of fun and Freddie and her had a blast together.
Mack says Barbara was a bad influence and wasn't good for Freddie .
People seem to have different opinions so who knows. Something happened to make Freddie leave Munich like he did. Phoebe says Freddie's love of Munich was being replaced by his passion for GL & Jim. I personally think what was happening at that time was some of the reason. Sadly it was too late.

Judging on an interview Barbara gave, she didn't like the Freddie she encountered at GL because it seems their wild partying days were more than likely over. and She bitched about Jim saying he was only good for the cats and the garden .

Seems to me his years at GL were very happy and he was a lot calmer.

goodness what a topic lol

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Different opinions that's what its call about folks.Itvwould be a boring world if we all agreed all the time right.Can we all agree on that one I sure hope so.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Thundergod

Mein lieber Thor, ich verstehe Sie vollkommen!

Herzliche Grüße aus Deutschland.

Ihr gefiederter Freund

Steven

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Possible answer to why Freddie left Germany...Like New York, Freddie told me that he could not LIVE in another city for more than 2 years for tax reasons. Two years LIVING in New York and two years in Munich. It makes sense that he had to leave.
I'm sure also, that by this time he was OVER the intense party scene which probably was even more over-indulgent than New York had been.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Danke, mein Freund Steven.

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tax reasons that makes good sense.Thanks for clearing that up thought that one wasnt never going to get resolved.

Deedree user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deedree
Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 19, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Everyone Just popping in to catch up - wow there's always so much to read - I tend to get caught up in the Facebook group and forget about QZ, naughty of me I know!
Great to see you are also popping in when you can Thor! Hope all is going well with the book arrangements :) OK off to see some clients now. It is a beautiful day here in Brisbane even though
it is our Winter! Have a great day/night everyone xxx

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 19, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This may be way off base but we all have different types of friends.

Work related friends, social friends, and your most trusted friends.
Freddie had all of these. Each served their purpose in his life-some good and some not so good.

From everything I have read, I would have to say Thor and Lee and the NYC daughters fit in the most trusted of his friends. He never turned away from them and it seemed they were genuinely there for him when he needed them.

Thor, correct me if I'm wrong- but other "friends" seemed to fall in and out of Freddie 's life for varying reasons that doughnut mentioned earlier.

Take care everyone and have a nice week.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 19, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good Point emdee

Posted: 11 Jun 19, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good Morning lovely people well where I am it"s morning.Emdee that was a nice post yesterday I didn't see it till late last night but you had some valid points not everybody in our life is good.However, at least Freddie I think weeded out the bad and kept the good to the end of his life.Steven you got me lost I think the only thing I could make out in that post was friend and your name I think.Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted: 11 Jun 19, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor good point about Munich .

I wonder if you saw my post about the painting of freddie in GL. FreddieDarling shared a file to download it to view,

Do you recall seeing it and know if it was commissioned or a gift ?

Thank you so much

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 19, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydyd5

That´s interesting. According to Wikipedia most Memonites apparently speak neither Standard nor PA German (which descended from Central West German variants) but Low German, which is spoken in the Netherlands and the German coast. Low German is so distinguished from other German dialects some linguists consider it a language of its own. The Hutterites speak a variant of Swiss German...

I sometimes envy Americans for their diverse origins... There is nice poem by Germany´s greatetst greatest poet:

https://erickoch.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/america-you-are-better-of/

@Rainbow61

Most of my parents´ generation born in the 1940s did not learn English at school, but became huge fans of Aerican rock music. My dad still is a huge Elvis fan although he does not understand a word. He is just fond of the music and the beauty and passion of his voice.

I had French at school for five years, I have forgotten almost everything. I recently discovered French singer Barbara Weldens, who unfortunately passed away two years ago. I am truly fascinated by her stage presence and passion she puts into her energetic performances.

Posted: 11 Jun 19, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Deedree, That is very naughty of you to not ever check in here.I think everybody forgives you.It's winter were you are I couldn't live somewhere like Alaska think about how cold it is there.I prefer summer or fall weather.Hope you have a good one at at work take care.I will try to catch you on fb It"s my nightime when it"s your daytime.