Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 585 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

chevyman my issue isn't to do with the film but more Brians behaviour when asked a simple, polite question. I understand he is probably sick to death of the comments regarding the film and it touches a nerve but I don't like to see him snap at people when it isn't justified.

I amy be wrong but I am not sure that Mary had much to do with the film.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 717 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, I think she read the script whatever that means.I don"t know .social media drama thank God we didnt have this when I was a younger we would've got nothing done.when we had a complaint we went to that individual crazy times we live in.I know they were being civil he just Is tired of answering questions I think.Poor Brian hope things will settle I'm done with this one it's quite boring.

musicland munich user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bayern - Bavaria
musicland munich
Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t want to jump in the discussion too much but I like to thank you guys for your YT video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpV3ycBdWMU

Munich - Cocaine and low taxes !

You can add me on FB - Musicland Munich QZ - don`t miss the QZ !
Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN wrote:

Mariah,I get the whole thing they wanted to portray a pg rated film but they totally didnt do his character or the characters that played his companions and yes I'm talking about Jim justice.This is a old can of worms but damn they made it look like he was sad all the time and lonely.We had to watch him play musical lamps with Mary I don"t think he was at home playing with lamps at all.They made him out to be sad about being gay and from what I see they are nuts he was very happy with himself.Would he have been better off with Mary no absolutely not .Why they wanted to create a bisexual image of a man that wasnt i will never know.At least he knew he liked men it's much harder the other way around from what I can tell you from experience.I think the only unhappiness he probably experienced is when he was being dishonest to Mary and his parents possibly.I dont totally blame Brian but he could handle his fans a little nicer he put that movie out there it wasnt correct he knew what conflict it would cause.So in that respect dont run just face the music answer honestly why you did it and move on.

Chevyman,

I’ve read in multiple places by those who have worked closely with Queen that Brian May can be quite viscous when he wants to. I believe it might have been in Peter Hince book but I read it by multiple sources

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 22:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgo, I get it but come on they want to argue ith or question this man that is in his70s they aren't gonna win.He is set in his ways and actions there is no changing that thought process.He is old school and he will defend what he believes and don"t care who he pisses off.I don"t know what else to say I wish Roger would say something he will say nothing.I do believe he misses Freddie they all do .Yes sir you heard it from the boss low taxes enough said.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 19, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is no argument on my part. Not concerned one way or another. Not sure why my post comes off like an issue. Just stating what I’ve read. Moving on.

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter Hince is doing to talks at the moment and book signings. He was in Manchester last night. He commented on the part of the film where Freddie had to ask to come back for Live Aid. He said that in real life Freddie would never have begged to come back , he would of told them where to go and left them.

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut,I agree Freddie would never beg to come back .

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I myself don't trust to many people that say they new Freddie's story because so many have told things that are untrue just to make things appear interesting and sell their product.Call me crazy but I would much rather have truth that depicts actual stories and memories that actually happened they may not be as interesting as all the false lies that have been told in the past but at least it would be sincere and geniune.i dont know this Hince guy but one thing I'm sure about and I dont need a book to tell me is Freddie did not beg to return to Queen they needed him.I have read very few books on Freddie this book of Thors and Lee's will be the third .I regret reading Leslieann"s book it was a waste.

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should 'ratty's' book Chevyman, it's good. It's not so much about Freddie but more about his life as a roadie. He was Freddie and John's roadie so knew them well.
He left that life to focus on life as a photographer, he took quite a few photos of Freddie including some ace ones of Freddie wearing his royal gown and hat. He stayed in contact with Freddie until a year before he passed away.

I honestly don't think he said anything too negative about any of the band members so I feel he was respectful. The job itself appeared to be hard work, long hours and sometimes not much appreciation.

Dougie 4 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut: the movie was a big ego massage for Brian and Roger, the begging scene in particular is so wrong and cringey

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dougie, I said I wasn"t going to do this but hear I am again I need to go to rehab .I just can"t help myself.Freddie knew at the end of his life even that once he passed it would be hard to continue the band.That's one of the reason's I believe he made so much music for them to have to release after his passing.He wasn't the type to consider himself the best or important one.When he was asked he would just say he does vocals for the band he wasn't the leader.So when they put that scene in the movie it makes me wonder what were their actual thought processes for this.What were we to get out of it?

King of all Queen fans user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 35 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee, still not fed up with the cashing attemps using Fred’s name and memories of him?
Or still not found a publisher for your book?
Whoehahaha

All hail to PAPA EMERITUS XIII !

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 21:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

King of shit, Memories were just not of that of one person they were of a whole group of guys.As far as a name they didn't all have the same name and all their names will be present in the book.So I'm sure noone is just using one person's name for their benifit.I wanna know something since you are the king of shit maybe you got this answer.There have been so many books written about Freddie alot of them untrue why pick these guys to fuck with.I can tell you one thing you consider yourself a fan I don't think Freddie would like his friends to be disrespected for trying to honor his memory.So before you post something else negative think about that one for a while .Then come back and try to have something positive to say.If you nothing nice to say don't come back at all.

Dougie 4 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevyman: I agree, I have read many interviews by people who knew Freddie and
everyone who knew Freddie has spoken of how generous he was, how he wasn't selfish or self-serving when it came to the band and to writing or composing music. He was a team player and a true musician. But the movie is so problematic in it's depiction of him

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dougie, yes it seems they must have forgot this or lost part of the script when showing Freddie's kindness towards his other band members.He was aware I think of how valuable he was to them but never used it for personal gain.He gave so much to others but unlike so many other celebrities I don"t think it was known.He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that has to be acknowledged for doing something for someone.He was just glad he could do it.

RussiaLand user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 wrote:

Hey Galileo, on a purely technical level, how did you make that link to Brian's Instagram page clickable? I've tried to do that with links, but never been successful.

Try using tags [ url ]...[ /url ], but without spaces after '[' and before ']'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjt291COa0

King of all Queen fans user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 35 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie guarded his privacy. I don’t think he would like the idea that old friends are so open about his private lives.
So chevyman or whatever your name is, fuck you...go listen to the music instead of jerking of on Freddie’s private life.
Cocksucker

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Russialand. I'm still looking for something I want to link to that would be fairly new to you guys but I'm determined to figure out how to do a live link.

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russia, longtime no see sister I'm so glad to see some faces I recognize. This place looks a little bare these days.I will say we have had some nice discussion here huh?well most of the time anyway the part that counts .I still have trouble with those links you guys are talking about.You are so good at it sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn"t.See you in the place where we can still spell happiness.Did I spell that right?who cares.