Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

SinkingIsland user not visiting Queenzone.com
SinkingIsland
Rocker: 28 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Dec 17, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I highly recommend the book Queen Unseen by Peter (Ratty) Hince for anyone who hasn't read it. He was a roadie for Freddie and John. Lots of laughs.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 17, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Villiers,
I believe that many gay men nowadays could AS A NECESSITY, if being caught in a gay situation, might find some
cover in saying, if he was compelled to do so, state that he is bi-sexual. As you know, back in the day, bisexuallity was not
tolerated either. Homophobes, if they HAVE to these days will look the other way if it was bisexuallity that made him grope
that other guy in the company's mensroom.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey SinkingIsland,
I will try to read it soon. I am still finishing Peter's first book. I thing you had some questions on an earlier page.
If you don't get an answer today, we'll try for tomorrow.

SinkingIsland

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks! I was starting to think I did something wrong. I worry about everything, though. I noticed you, as I, hate to make mistakes with words and feel compelled to correct. You are not alone. :)

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

correction: change "gay situation, might" to "gay situation, fund" ...not "might find"- sorry

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AY YAHY YAHY...... "gay situation, find" not fund.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed SinkingIsland...LOL

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 177 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Hi Sqiuirrelly,
I was just kidding, but LOTV himself said he cannot let a smear of his character go .I suggested an alternate method, but let
him know clearly that most of us don't want to read the nitty gritty of a NASTY argument.

On that subject, speaking more generally, I think when we can't let something go, it's because something about it bothers us. So, say that person on you tube who called us all rat dogs, I actually found that funny. Not because it was, it was rude, etc, but to me it said more about the sad person saying it than it did about anyone else. How bothered by us must they have been to make that comment in the first place?

When people defend anything vigorously they are not secure about that thing. Same when we defend ourselves IMO. LOTV this isn't directed at you, I'm making a general comment because I've seen quite a few people 'react' to stuff and actually, it's a shame, because they also have so much to offer. Every time we react, the crazy person doing the attacking is learning which buttons to press.

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Every time we react, the crazy person doing the attacking is learning which buttons to press."

Very true. Good point.

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 174 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just had a look at the Youtube comment (Freddie's Loves pt 4)
Funny how the first person to mention it on the old thread recently reappeared in this thread to mention it again...which just so happened to be on the same day the troll returned to YouTube with more insults.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same person...
Another one to be ignored from now?

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Smoky,
I'm not quite sure how your response applies to my reply on the subject of personal verbal fighting on this thread.

This is for everyone, I am not singling you out Smoky,

I was saying only that Lee's and myself, supported by many others don't care for long, winded arguments on this thread
with so many repeated quotes (sometime 1/3 of a page) above their current reply... and it seem to inevitably get nasty.
I'm not saying this should be a bleaching type of thread, but when it is a back and forth between only two or three members,
what about the rest of us?.
Again, it's certainly ok to disagree, but maybe without profanities being hurled at each other and name calling. Many have
said they don't like that and we don't like it either. This is not a freedom of the speech issue. This is not a government,
this is a thread of Lee's and mine. Please all, respect some common sense restrictions on prolonged nasty fights in order to
keep this thread healthy If that request is unfair, I don't see it.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey captainjory,
Thank for your comments.I agree but only when they state intolerance and hatred on the site, we shouldn't jump to
conclusions. I've been burned before.

SinkingIsland

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We all have something good in common here, so why not be kind to one another? Well said, Thor!

SinkingIsland

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 01:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do either of you, Thor or Lee, remember the number of the co-op in The Soverign or at least what floor? I just read it has 48 floors and it's an impressive looking building.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 01:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SinkingIsland,
I believe it was on either 46th or 47th floor. I'm sure he would have preferred the penthouse, but it was occupied and not for sale.

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 177 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Thor, I didn't make it clear why I quoted you. I was just picking up and expanding on the subject of not being able to let things go that you'd mentioned in that quote. I'm totally in agreement with your position over the fighting that's been going on.

Villiers, thanks.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds good Smokey!

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Katydyd,
Regarding Freddie being bored easily: As far as I've seen, this is 100% true. He was very much the hyperactive
type of person. Sometimes, when there was a lull in our conversation, I would thank God Kathleen was there to
keep him continually entertained. It took pressure off of me and enabled me to come up with even more entertainment
and funny stories, even about the hospital I was currently working. Nothing funny about kids dying of cancer, but there was
plenty of funny stories about the staff.
In one of our visits to London, I remember telling a funny story about the San Diego hospital I was working in.
For example... it was dinner time and because the room the nurse was in was close to the nurses station, so I heard
every word of the following conversation:
A very old lady said to the nurse, "What's for dinner dear?"
The nurse answered , "Fish"
"What honey, I can't hear you." to which the nurse shouted FISH"
"Sorry dear, what is it?" The nurse opened the tray and displayed the fish.
The lady finally said, "Oh hamburger"
Freddie laughed hysterically and it's a hard story to tell with out laughing yourself.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

captainjory,
Freddie did not often have long 1 on 1 conversations, except when it came to MEN!.He considered me an authority on the
gay community and would ask for advice i.e. "Should I go after him", "Do you think he is goodlooking? " I never lied to
placate him. I mostly would have to say, well he's a little heavy, not my type" to which Freddie replied "He's for me darling,
not YOU." We would laugh and laugh. Now, the Uncle Charlies bartender, Ray, that I fixed him up with was drop dead gorgeous.
He also always wanted to know what the best club or bar that had recently opened was.and any exceptional private parties
happening in Greenwich Village. He always trusted my judgement.