Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey captainjory,
I actually can't remember who was said to have thrown the champagne.They were both capable of it. I guess that it must have been
Bill Reid, in Phoebe's book he describes the night that Bill appeared at his apartment in New York unexpected and banged on the
door, breaking the view hole glass and shouting, "You won't get rid of ME, you won't get rid of me"

Mr.Michael user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, do you still remember how my question about Freddie's armpits was considered as disrespectful, really douchey and it was more or less the biggest disgrace of the first thread?

To be brutally honest, I'd say it's not even top 50 material anymore.

I have also a question. Do you have an estimate how many of the people you knew pretty well during '80-'83 later succumbed to aids? Freestone's book gave me the impression the number was pretty bad.

Over 50%? Or even worse?

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi miraclesteinway,
Nice to hear from you again.
Yes, you are correct. Freddie left most of the business stuff to a few trusted friends like Mary and the other band members. BUT
would always have the final say in any business transactions.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Mr. Michael,
Yes, I certainly do remember you. As one of the first to make that kind of personal question about Freddie was NOT
what I wanted to encourage. I apologize if maybe I came down too hard on you and that probably kept you away
for continued participation. You are right, much worse has been since printed here. I still try to discourage it.

Well, as all is forgiven, I sincerely hope that you give us another chance. Welcome back!

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Michael,
As I worked in the gay bars and lived in New York's West Village, many, many of my more casual friends passed
and three of my best friends also passed namely John Murphy, Joe Scardilli and Freddy Mercury. I would have
to give you a high percentage rate of about 85%. By the time I left New York with Lee, there were few people to
say goodbye to. Heartbreaking but true.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LEE....WHERE ARE YOU?

"You are conspicuous by your absence, darling"

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

captainjory wrote:

Sheldon, have you ever listened to the David Wigg tapes? Freddie was really open and frank in those, talking about how he was shit at relationships and admitting he was a big ho. Sometimes I wonder about the privacy too because sometimes he'd be open. Maybe he wanted the best of both worlds, to keep himself to himself yet also 'real' enough to make himself relatable to fans. It must have been a difficult balance.

It's weird for, as cagey as he was over being in male relationships, he was always blurting out how promiscuous he was. E.g. Leiden 1984, he said sex was his hobby. 1982, he replied 'having a lot of sex' when asked what he'll be doing in 20 years time. And back to the Wigg tapes, he admitted he was 'very promiscuous', had slept with a lot of people around the world and had tired of it. So that part of him was definitely not hidden from fans. Just their gender really, but most people guessed anyway.

Also Thor, I know you say you only saw the aftermath, but was Freddie retaliating with Bill? I can't imagine him not hitting him back. I mean, you would stick up for yourself and return blows wouldn't you? Well I would...

I think I've listened to some parts at least (Solo Collection, right?). Everything you say is true, but on the other hand, he gave much less interviews than other celebrities and if I have understood correctly, almost all of the information we have about his private life has been reported only after his death.

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I need to leave the thread from Dec. 22 until Dec. 28 or 29.to celebrate Christmas with Lee, Brandon and Chuck.

Tonight I will be unavailable as I will be attending the San Diego Premier of "Call Me by Your Name" a highly acclaimed
romance and love story of a younger boy (17) by his older male mentor (26) in 1980's Italy. I'll let you all know my opinion
either after the movie or when I return at the end of December.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone. Enjoy yourselves!

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 177 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

captainjory wrote:

There are only a few times I've heard about him getting physical with other people, and it was mostly mutual. e.g Freddie and David Minns came to blows multiple times but frankly, they sound as bad as each other (Freddie socked him in the mouth after David smashed a clog over his head, which I shouldn't laugh about, but I do)

captainjory, I read that David bashed Freddie's hand with the clog? Though my memory might not be correct. I laughed too because David wrote about it in a way that Freddie was so terrible, and yet he went first! And I can only imagine the pain from being hit on the hand by a clog, which could have ruined his piano playing as well.

I think that David Minns was essentially a nice guy though, from the interviews and his writing. I got the impression it was two, young men, in a difficult situation with Freddie's career taking off and fame, etc. Not that it excuses either of them but it was not an ordinary situation. It made me laugh that the driver said he was always having to separate them, lol

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 21:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Hello Sheldon,
I think Freddie would be VERY happy that this tribute forum, dedicated mostly to him, would be fine with him as long
as he knew it was run by Kathleen and myself. We try to ignore and isolate certain haters and troublemakers and we
try to keep it clean. Being gay should no longer be considered a flaw in one's personality profile. I think Michelangelo
would be jealous that now he would not have to hide his homosexuality. Many creative and talented men are gay.
Perhaps the more talented of us practiced the piano and listened to opera incessantly rather than playing or watching
football incessantly. Lee and I mostly hope to reveal Freddie the man with his kindness, generosity, keen sense of humor
and loyalty to his close friends. The fact that some people try to insult and degregate this thread is just part of having
an open forum. I can hear Freddie say "oh Kathleen, oh Thor, thank you darlings for telling the story that could not
have been said before. And darlings thank you for treating my fans so nicely and keeping them happy."

Thor, thank you for replying. I'm not really addressing the gay issue here, but the aspects of the man's private life in general. I remember reading somewhere here that Freddie was insecure when he had a crush on someone, for example, which was really cute and I loved reading this. I totally understand your point about him being thrilled that his story is told and I'm really happy that he is not forgotten in many ways and still in 2017 as relevant as ever.

One topic that I have always thought should not be discussed in public is Freddie's last days/weeks and the health issues he was facing (or anyone's for that matter). This is the biggest reason why I think Jim's book is disgusting (same with some of Brian's comments). I have never read it, but it has been discussed and quoted here on QZ for years.We really should not know the embarrassing things that happened to the great man during his last days and we should certainly not be watching any private video tapes of him, even though he is in pretty good shape in the Garden Lodge tapes. However, if I see a link titled "Last Photo of Freddie Taken a Day Before He Died", I will click, because that's how most humans are, but nevertheless, that picture should not be made public. It is simply wrong. Same with some stories about whether he liked to be the mailman or the mailbox :D

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 174 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@SmokyQuartz In David Minns' book he just said he hit him with the shoe without specifying where, but Paul Prenter (in his Freddie betrayal expose) said he was hitting his head in a frenzy. (I no longer have the clipping that mentions it. Grrr.) I don't know which one to believe! It's hard to tell because so many tabloid stories twist words.
But yeah there was another scene where Minns admitted launching an ashtray in Freddie's direction, that hit a window. But makes a big deal about Freddie hitting him with a candlestick!

I agree, it was probably the wrong time for them to be together. What a situation though, with Freddie coming out at the same time he got really famous! A hot mess. It's kind of sad. You can see why they ended up that way.

Ouzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having been sitting back in the background reading this and the previous posts you have written. I'd like to thank you for your inside information into Freddie and your own life. I've found it all very interesting indeed. So thank you to you and to Lee for coming here and bringing a little Freddie facts in to all of our lives. I wish you a fantastic Christmas and New Year and I am so glad to read what a great friend Freddie had in you. :-) take care and see you here in 2018

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee, thank you so much for sharing your amazing time with Freddie with all of us. That is so very kind of you, and a pleasure for us. I wish both of you and all the wonderful QZers here a very happy Christmas and holiday season!

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

captainjory.....Paul said David was hitting Freddie in a frenzy? Or the other way around?

I don't think, from David's description it would have been Freddie, but just thought I'd check

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, have a great Christmas! :-)

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

About David Minns...to be fair, Freddie did put him through plenty of unnecessary crap to make him jealous and feel left out. Let's not forget how unpleasant Freddie could be. David shouldn't have hit Freddie, though. I just understand why he was upset and I do have a soft spot for the guy seeing as he was one of the only people with the guts to talk about Freddie from a realistic (and not always flattering) angle. Peters book was excellent and honest, but Minnsy's extra information really helped me to get a clearer picture of the man. Neither of them were free of sin but if I were in David's shoes, I think I'd feel the same way he did. I did feel that although he was angry with Freddie at the end of their relationship (what, with Freddie cheating and all lol), he still cared about him. Another thing I relate to. My ex husband and I can't stand each other but I still worry about him and I still love him. Minnsy and Freddie were able to become friends again toward the end of Freddie's life. I hope I can do the same with my ex someday.

Villiers

Posted: 21 Dec 17, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know which Prenter thing CJ is referring to and it did say Minnsy had hit him multiple times. Minnsy did admit to hitting him, but as far as David going full ham sandwich on him with a shoe (lol), I wouldn't take Paul Prenters word for it. Paul had a way of exaggerating the truth and not being entirely honest (the time he came to Freddie claiming to have been mugged in NY and needed a few thousand bucks comes to mind). I figure Minnsy already admitted to hitting Freddie. He was already in the wrong for it, I don't see why he'd bother to lie about the number of times he hit him lol. But we'll never know!

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 174 posts

SmokyQuartz wrote:

captainjory.....Paul said David was hitting Freddie in a frenzy? Or the other way around?

I don't think, from David's description it would have been Freddie, but just thought I'd check

David hitting Freddie.

Still laughing at the image

Villiers

And have a great holiday, Thor and Lee!

Villiers