Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 3447 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 17, 04:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

Am I the only one who is absolutely DISGUSTED by this type of threads?

Not really. The thread is very well intentioned but tends to get side tracked by cattiness and derision and occasional butt kissing.

I'm thankful these two fellas have volunteered their time to express responses and opinions on matters. I understand the music fan would see a lot of this as inconsequential, there have been many positive revelations from Thor and Kathleen....I'm thankful for the posts, haven't gathered my thoughts well enough to posit useful questions right now.

Feel free to contribute pittrek. Maybe there are instances about the creationif certain works that could have some light shed upon

Once again. Thanks, Thor and Kathleen!

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"
raucousmonster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi guys, still lurking away in the background and wanted to send out some love and thanks for the continued stories. Despite some of the less welcome exchanges that have been clogging things up here from time to time. Don't be discouraged by the rants and ravings of the few - keep up the great work! And happy Christmas!

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 01:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Matt and Raucous. Very thoughtful of you. Thor’s picking me up in 10. We’re on our way out for some holiday cheer. Been working all day. I’m fried. LOL

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 77 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for taking your time to respond to all questions, guys! Here's something that I think has not been asked in either of the threads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w9ekmjBAeo

This is the Live Aid finale with everyone singing Do They Know It's Christmas (I wonder why I stumbled upon this song today...:D). I've always felt that Freddie looked like an almost total outsider in this performance. Especially towards the end he tries to interact with McCartney, but time after time there is no reaction from Paul. This has been discussed before on this forum and the reasons to Paul's cold behavior might be the following:

1) Queen performed in Sun City in 1984 and other musicians were very very angry with this.

2) Queen just stole the show at Live Aid and the big stars were not happy.

3) Paul simply doesn't notice Freddie.

Also, during the whole performance Freddie looked really out-of-place. Perhaps he was shy and did not feel comfortable in such a large group of people? Did Freddie ever talk about Live Aid or the other artists involved or how he felt in situations similar to this?

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This year's Christmas haul brought in 3 extra copies of Queen Unseen, 2 copies of Peter Freestone's 'Freddie Mercury', 2 more copies of Freddie Mercury: A Life In Pictures (bringing me to 4 now lol), 3 more copies of News of the world and an Innuendo, original first pressing

I think my family knows I'm a Queen fan lol

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Lee, Thor mentioned a leather jacket you guys bought Freddie one Christmas. Do you have pics of him opening it? From the way Thor described it, it could have been one of the jackets he wore on stage over the years after that

captainjory user not visiting Queenzone.com
captainjory
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol Villiers, you selling any? ;-)

All I got Queen-wise was a calendar. Pffft.

Everyone's sick of my obsession, they won't get me anything...

Villiers

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CJ you know I got you! And I'll toss some 'strange American snacks' in there too lol

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice Christmas haul!!!
I ordered myself Messengers of the Gods!!!
Does anybody know what Peter Freestone's Second book is called???? I can't seem to find it on amazon?! ....or Phoebe's website.
'Hope all had Amazing n Restful holiday!!

Villiers

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 23:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenk

Here: http://a.co/0bnIL3W

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Snap!!
Thank you Villiers!! ;)

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 184 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 17, 23:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheldon,

I have watched that finale performance many times and I am always left with the same thought while viewing..."Could someone PLEASE hand Freddie the microphone?"

I'm frustrated every time I watch it!

captainjory

Posted: 27 Dec 17, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers wrote:

This year's Christmas haul brought in 3 extra copies of Queen Unseen, 2 copies of Peter Freestone's 'Freddie Mercury', 2 more copies of Freddie Mercury: A Life In Pictures (bringing me to 4 now lol), 3 more copies of News of the world and an Innuendo, original first pressing

I think my family knows I'm a Queen fan lol

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Lee, Thor mentioned a leather jacket you guys bought Freddie one Christmas. Do you have pics of him opening it? From the way Thor described it, it could have been one of the jackets he wore on stage over the years after that

*holds hands out for a copy of NOTW*

PS Hope everyone on the thread had a good Xmas!

captainjory

Posted: 27 Dec 17, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RE: Freddie at Live Aid singing the Xmas song. Lol at him clapping out of time and when he finally gets to the mic, he's louder than the others! Always somehow standing out.

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 17, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, Villiers, that's quite a load of Queen presents!

But I've got Brian's "Queen in 3D". and I'm happy as a child!

SinkingIsland user not visiting Queenzone.com
SinkingIsland
Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 17, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers... The book is https://www.amazon.com/FREDDIE-MERCURY-Happened-Freddie-Mercury-ebook/dp/B00VELV07G. FREDDIE MERCURY - What He Left Behind: The Story of What Happened after the death of Freddie Mercury Kindle Edition
by David Evans (Author),? Peter Freestone (Author).

Happy Holidays!

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 17, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sinkingisland that's what villers posted lol. When I click on their link it brings me to a page that lets me download a sample or buy it

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 17, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually I think the link sinkingisland posted was for something else...I tried it and it just says sorry the page can't be completed. Maybe the link doesn't work for the US? The book is out of print so I would just use the link villers posted if you want to find Peters second book. You can get it through there for less than 3 dollars.

SinkingIsland user not visiting Queenzone.com
SinkingIsland
Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 17, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So sorry! It looks like I may have been Xanax posting after bedtime. The e-book was all I could find. It's available on iBooks and Kindle (United States). It was originally called, Freddie Mercury - The Afterlife. No offense to anyone else (or embarrassment to myself) intended. I messed up.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 184 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 17, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor and Lee,

I hope you both had a wonderful Christmas! As New Year's Eve is coming up, I was wondering if you have any memories of celebrating with Freddie...like going to Times Square?

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 29 Dec 17, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello all,
I am back from an outstanding, bright, warm and sunny Christmas in Palm Springs. I got to spend time with all of my three long-term
friends. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed it so much that I've cancelled my New Years plans in San Diego and am returning to Palm Springs
tomorrow afternoon.
I spent a lot of time with Lee going through his photos and slides and I could not believe how many wonderful shots that I had completely
forgotten about. A whole bunch of never seen before pictures of Freddie, the friend, as opposed to Freddie, the Rockstar. He looks like
he is really enjoying himself in every shot! It's truly a treasure. Thank you Lee for meticulously preserving these gems.

So, that brings me to the good news and the bad news-
We have decided to go ahead with the book, overloaded with photos and written content!!!!!!
Lee has so little time available and we have made a deadline for ourselves of coordinating it's release with the upcoming Bohemian
Rhapsody movie. Therefore, due to the work involved in this project by two non-novelists, we feel we should end this thread.
I attracted Lee to this thread based on my description of how much fun and informative my old thread was. In these 37 pages, the
trolls and those that make "free speech" arguments in their defense is NOT FUN for him as I had promised.

What we would like to do, as an option, is accept PMs by our friends ..and YOU know who you are. No NEW PMs will be considered,
and any changed user names will not be considered.

I know that Shivili, Stop the Madness and pittrek will probably want to congratulate us on the upcoming book, but OH WELL.
Someone should make them look at ALL the photos of the book when it is available!!...LOL

So, thanks to the 94% of good minded people here and on the old thread. expressing their ideas civilly and thoughtfully. To the
haters and the nasty Freddie revisers., sorry, you will have to BUY the book to complain and bitch about it