Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Aug 18, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I got you, Rainbow. Sorry, it's refusing to let me message you back for some reason. The page wont load. But you're in the running

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 18, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers2,

YEAH! Thank you so much.

RobbyBloodshed user not visiting Queenzone.com
RobbyBloodshed
Champion: 91 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 18, 19:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Long time lurker, first time poster, absolutely love the questions and stories being asked/told here!

I have a question @Thor

When you guys were hanging at a club/what have you in NYC, did Queen get played at the places you were hanging? That had to have been funny for Freddie to hear himself sing while you guys were partying away..

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 484 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 18, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to the group Robby. I'm not sure Thor is back full time and answering questions yet, though I know he hopes to be soon. Your question is good and I'm hoping he'll share the story about Philadelphia and AOBTD. It's a gem.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 18, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm back from scorching Palm Springs (118 degrees Fahrenheit). Here, back in San Diego, it is 78!

Thank you Katydyd for addressing Robby's question in my absence. Robby, basically Katydyd is
referring to the concert in Philadelphia (the day after I met Freddie in New York.) After his concert,
Freddie wanted to check out the night-life in Philadelphia. The doorman at the big club of that time.
was checking ID and at first, since Freddy doesn't carry ID with him, was not allowed in. In the
background "Another One Bites the Dust" was pulsing from the dance floor up the staircase. Freddie,
after about 5 seconds told me and Phoebe, "Darling it's time to pull rank!" He went up to the
doorman and shouted, "That's my FUCKING song you're playing." We were then whisked in, to
which Freddie said, "Fucking right!"

Posted: 08 Aug 18, 01:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that story. It's so Freddie.

Your weather in San Diego sounds lovely. We are hot and humid here. I'm barely human in the summer.

Posted: 08 Aug 18, 02:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, when you are answering questions again, I would like to hear more on Robby's question. Did you guys ever hear Freddie's songs while you were in clubs? If you did and Freddie was just "one of the guys", did he react?

thundergod

Posted: 08 Aug 18, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Other than that night of August 1980 in Philadelphia, we never encountered Queen songs in any of the clubs we went to while Freddie was in New York. My X and I freaked out when we heard "Born to Love You" blasting at a popular disco in Palm Springs called CC Construction Co. We had no idea about this song as this came out during his absence in Germany. To this day, It is still our favorite dance song, especially when they dropped a screen over the dance floor
and played the video. We were in heaven.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 08 Aug 18, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Every time you share one of those wonderful stories, it makes me even more excited for the book!

"I Was Born to Love You" is also one of my favorites...both the song and the video. Okay...if Freddie had ever offered you the opportunity to have a small bit part in a video as an extra, would that have been something you would have considered doing? Just curious!

thundergod

Posted: 08 Aug 18, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YES...YES...and YES! but it never came up...oh well.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
You're a cunt!.
matt z
Deity: 4389 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 18, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well... made my contribution as I'd said I would. Thanks, Thor

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!....CUNT!
SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 192 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 18, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for your lovely message Thor, but you and Lee are the generous ones for giving of your time to all of us. :-)

(I donated anonymously as I was at work and couldn't decide what to do, lol, but happy to share my identity with those I 'know' here. :-) )

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
You're a cunt!.
matt z
Deity: 4389 posts

Posted: 05 Sep 18, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor!
Happy Birthday to Freddie today!
I hope I didn't accidentally SPAM your GOFUNDME page... if I have, could you please delete my comments? The site mapping kept saying "AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED WITH YOUR MESSAGE, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER"
....So I did... and the error persisted later as well...

Until I got a comment stating "You have reached the maximum amount of comments for this time"

Yikes!
Wouldn't wanna look like an @$$#ole there!

Anyways, Wish you success on this endeavor... I hope the project gains some steam at this time!

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!....CUNT!
thundergod

Posted: 06 Sep 18, 23:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey MattZ #1
Not a problem as far as I know. Nothing strange discovered when I just reviewed the site. Yes, wish I could have attended
the big birthday celebration in Montreau, Switzerland.
By the way, I am waiting for several publishers to review our material. Got a big turn-down from someone I really thought would like the book. She stated that although she sees a lot of good material, she only accepts projects that she is PASSIONATE about. Who is not passionate about Queen and Freddie Mercury? Anyway, we move on. Chances of getting published before November 2nd for the premier of "Bohemian Rhapsody" seems unlikely. We will persevere!
All my best to you,
Thor (and on behalf of Lee)

Posted: 06 Sep 18, 23:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's disappointing Thor, but I'm glad to hear that you will continue to persevere. These publishers just don't know what they are missing.

Matt, I see only one post from you on the GFM site.

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 18, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I'm sure you've talked about this before but why not simply use Amazon? My daughter published her book there (now removed while she edits and attempts new add ons) and she said it's very easy to publish through and it costs nearly nothing for the authors to go through. If you're worried about promotion (or lack there of) without a big publisher, dont. You guys have thousands of people online who are already waiting for this book on different forms of social media. It only takes one to post it to a big group and the word travels fast. Amazon prints by demand. Seems like the route to take, no?

thundergod

Posted: 07 Sep 18, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Squirrelly One,
You may have a very good point there. I will contact Lee this week (I just left Palm Springs again yesterday).
That may be a way we could go. I do have another good prospect who literally works for a company that is
1/8 of a mile from my house - walking distance. Thanks for your idea.

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 192 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 18, 22:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh dear......someone is going to find their passion alright.....but they'll find it too late! lol.

Ah well, Thor and Lee....at least with her firm 'no' she's freed you up to find the right person who will say Yes.

thundergod

Posted: 07 Sep 18, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Smoky,
Thanks for the encouraging words of optimism...I think you are exactly right!

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 18, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor. A few of us found this never before seen pic of freddie with a lover he apparently dated for some time. My creepy overly obsessed fan knowledge tells me that background looks like his place in England before garden lodge so idk if you guys knew this fella or not. Does anyone know his name? Some folks tried asking the guy who posted it for more info and hes not responding. Probaboy creeped out by us lmao

Attachment: 201898657128849.jpg 712 KB
This has been downloaded 186 time(s).