Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Champion: 62 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know this is gonna sound weird.........and I admit I myself...am a little weird......BUT I LOVE FREDDIE'S TEETH!!!!!!!! I WISH I COULD FIND MORE PICTURES OF HIM SMILING WITH HIS TEETH AND NOT PUTTING HIS HAND UP TO COVER THEM. HE HAD AN INCREDIBLE SMILE WITH HIS TEETH. The few pictures I have seen just make me smile more!!! I've worked in the Dental field for over 20 years and while Veneers and crowns make Lots o'money for the practice.....i HATE the homogeneous facade that this 'plastic ' society has thrust upon the masses!!!!! I encourage my patients to embrace their individuality!! If they have gaps in their teeth but their teeth are healthy.....why not embrace it.....it adds charm and character!! Whiten teeth??? Well, ok if your teeth are healthy....but NOT TO THE POINT THAT THEY ARE AN ARTIFICIAL WHITE!! I remember a time when 'capping one's front teeth just became a 'thing'....but Even then...you didn't want too perfect teeth As others would assume u had DENTURES!!!!!!!! Anyhoo......Freddie's teeth are one of his features that I REALLY LIKE and it makes me a little sad that he felt so insecure about them. Plus...they looked to be very strong and healthy teeth!! I also really like the slight speech impediment you can hear from time to time that his Overbite GAVE him.
After all my Freddie research these last eight months or so......my science nerd kicked in and I couldn't help but wonder if Fred"s Overbite contributed to his vulnerability to contract AIDS as you can see in some photos just how deep his overbite/overjet were And that allowed his lower anterior teeth to Supererupt.....and my experience with this kind of bite allows the lower teeth to penetrate into the soft tissue of the palate....therefore providing a direct route for infection by this open port????????? .....just a thought.......

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 184 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor and Lee,

Thor, it’s great to have you back…and Lee, so excited you have decided to join us. I knew this revised thread would prove to be popular!

Every now and then we are fortunate enough to meet people that we immediately know are destined to be our friends. Finding those people is one of life’s magic moments…Kismet! It sounds like you both had that with Freddie as he had with you. That so many people feel connected to Freddie who have never met him is testament to an immensely appealing quality he had.

I was wondering…was the social climate such during the early 80’s in NYC that you could be open in public about who you were dating? Apart from the relative comfort zone of the bars or Freddie’s apartment, would a person who saw Freddie out in a restaurant or walking along the street with Bill Reid have surmised they were a couple or did the need to remain private about his life preclude that possibility, even in NYC where he enjoyed a fair amount of anonymity? (Feel free to include what it would have been like for you during that time as well if that doesn’t seem too nosy)

Lee...you will enjoy the "Ask Phoebe" column. He always seemed like a gentle soul to me.

miraclesteinway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Stop the Madness" is just a troll.....

miraclesteinway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 396 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do want to ask about Freddie's attitude to public knowledge about his sexuality. It's widely thought that Freddie somehow hid his sexuality from the public, and it's true there are a few photos of him at events well into the 1980s when he has Mary beside him and Jim Hutton perhaps in the background. But from watching Queen videos, interviews, any available footage, it seems to me that Freddie didn't hide his sexuality per se, he just didn't come out publicly in the media. In fact there is an interview from the mid-1980s where a journalist asked him if "I want to break free" was written for the "gay world", and he answers that to start off with, it wasn't written by him, it was written by John who is married with 4 children.

While it seems Freddie valued his privacy, how concerned was he that the public would find out he was gay? Or did he not mention it?

Apocalipsis_Darko user not visiting Queenzone.com
Apocalipsis_Darko
Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor and Lee. Where were the Freddie favorite clubs in New York and why?
I also see a photo with Heaven famous discoteque in London.

Do you think cruising was an insult to gay community?

Apocalipsis_Darko

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cruising the film, I mean.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Miraclestinway Freddie hinted at his sexuality on stage wearing gay club shirts and such but he was terrified of being outed. I've spoken with Freestone about it in the past. He used Mary and Barbara as beards but Barbara was just a friend, never a lover and Mary stopped being a lover in the mid 70s. He actively hid being gay in the press by holding Mary or Barbaras hand if press were around and making his boyfriends walk behind them. He also asked David Wigg specifically NOT to print that he was in a relationship with a man in the 1987 Ibiza interview when Freddie was talking about how happy he was with Jim. David asked "Can I say that its with a man?" And Freddie replied "NO! You mustnt say that!". That audio can be found in The Untold Story doc. It was one thing to hint about it, it was another to be outed. Remember that according to David Minns, Freddie's parents knew he was gay and confronted him which made him very upset and he also had to take the band into consideration. So he was made to feel some shame about it while also trying to explore it. It had to be hard. I believe it was Brian that said the band once had to tell Freddie to tone down the gay vibe in some song or album he was working on because they felt like it excluded their straight fan base. So he tried to venture out and was left trying to find a balance. He came out to John Reid and someone who ran the Fan Club years ago and said "I'm gay and I'm in love with a man but I can't tell anyone because it would ruin everything". That tells you right there..

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know that was for Thor and Lee to answer but I thought I'd toss that info in. Sorry

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To add to Dustin's comment, I'm just gonna leave this photo here. Lol.

Like Peter Freestone said, Freddie never denied being gay. But I do believe he was very aware of what coming out would do to his career. Glam rock was all about the bisexual image, but being gay wasnt as accepted. Which is stupid, but that's how it was. Freddie was just not comfortable with coming out as gay at the time. I do wonder if he had made it to 2017, if he would have came out. It's a different time now...but I guess we'll never know.

Attachment: 201712112003822018.jpg 14 KB
This has been downloaded 51 time(s).

Apocalipsis_Darko

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Remember Villiers the glam artist in Elektra Jobriath. He said he was gay, and all US denied him everything....very sad and horrible story. Jobriath deserved being a star and not being insulted by his sexuality. At least, to me is the same proud being gay, heteresexual or bisexual. No matter that, matter the person in my humble opinion.

Villiers user not visiting Queenzone.com
Villiers
Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, and that's the sad part of it. Back then, if you came out as gay it could ruin your career. Imagine working as hard as Freddie and the boys did in the beginning, just to be slammed by the press because you arent bisexual, but gay. It make no sense, but that's just how It was back then. Such a shame because many a gay entertainer have had to cover it up. Their sexuality shouldn't have had any effect on their legacy. Poor Liberace denied it his entire life (although LESBI-HONEST, we all knew LOL). The man even sued a mahazine for trying to out him once. His estate still claims he didnt die of an AIDS related illness when he definitely did. All because of the fear of whay it would do to his career. I'd like to think that the majority of the world is more open minded these days...excluding Stop The Madness, of course.

raucousmonster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the idea of Freddie being too shy to approach someone in a club. It's just one more endearing thing about him. Mind you, as someone else pointed out here already there's nothing shy about walking up to Jim and demanding to know how big his member was. Maybe the showbiz sherbet gave him extra confidence that night. ;) But I can imagine rejection would be hard for Freddie - if nothing else he might have envisioned some guy telling all his friends that Freddie Mercury asked him out and he rejected him. On the subject of sticky rejections I was at a wedding in Scotland on Saturday and the best man shared a story about how the groom worked in the Virgin megastore and really fancied a girl who worked alongside him. He never had the nerve to even talk to her as she was so beautiful but a few years later he bumped into her again and decided to just go for it. She asked how he was doing and he innocently replied "I'm still at Virgin". The girl blushed and assured him that he'd meet somebody special one day and then hurried away. I know that's not Freddie related but I'm still chuckling about that and thought you'd get a kick out of it. :)

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as my question about Freddie being open about who he dated in NYC, I was referring more to subtle social cues. Often you see two people in public who give off the "couple vibe" If you are really paying attention you can just tell they are" together" even if you don't see the typical overt signs. So I was wondering if Freddie even allowed himself even those subtle forms of affection/expression in public or did his responsibilities to the band...family considerations etc. overrule such displays?

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

Will be interested to hear about your jury experience. About a decade ago I did grand jury duty. It was a couple times a week for over a month. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not only was it interesting, but I was pleasantly surprised how seriously the grand jury panel took their duty. Much discussion...nothing the DA presented was rubber stamped.

I wonder how jury duty works in other countries? Would Freddie have ever received a notice to report for jury duty?.... "Sorry, I will be unavailable at that that time...will be in the middle of a world tour with my band!"

Invisible Woman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Invisible Woman
Bohemian: 252 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 17, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,Hi Lee

Thanks for the new thread, I think this will be interesting as the previous one.

Lee, we have already asked Thor for this and I would like you to tell us which Freddie's and Queen's song,album and music video you like most?

Question for both of you: we know about the female nicknames he called his male friends. How many Freddie called you with your real names and how many with nicknames?
When did you talk with him did you used more Freddie or more "Melina"?Have you ever been bothered by these female nicknames?

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin
That was funny. I’d like to think we were clever and inviting. LOL

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin
That was funny. I’d like to think we were clever and inviting. LOL

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lots of comments to catch up on today.

I checked the thread a couple of times today, and then WOW...........the participation is fantastic.

Where should we start?
The first thing I wanna say will cover several subjects.
One thing that struck me about Freddie is that when we went out, if he was recognized, he was recognized. In the gay bars there might have been
some whispering when they saw him, but I don't remember anyone being offensive. They were very respectful. Thor, do you remember any "crazies" when we were out and about? I don't remember ANY time that his being spotted made it to the tabloids. It was a non issue almost.
Freddie enjoyed going to see Thor at work, the leather bars, Studio 54, and the Saint. The Saint might have been where I first met him........or it might have been Uncle Charlie's Video Bar. I found him to be himself when we were out, but a bit more reserved. He never made a scene. There WAS a night out that I'll never forget. We went out in Chicago after the concert, and as we were dancing, Freddie got into it, and all of a sudden he was being lifted into the air by others on the floor........people that we didn't know. I don't remember if they knew it was him, or they were just helping someone having a good time to have a better time........he had a HUGE smile on his face.
As far as Freddie and Bill being out together, Bill was pretty low key, unless he was starting an argument
The nicknames.........for some reason Peter and I were always Phoebe and Kathleen. As proper daughters we referred to him as Mother. I don't think I ever called him Melina. Friends of his that we would meet, DID call him Melina, and he referred to himself as Mother most of the time. I got a kick out of it, but as a rule when I talk about Freddie and our Friendship, I pick and choose who I tell about the Kathleen saga. Joe and John weren't around as much, and more often than not they were Joe and John.........and who would want to mess with the name Thor? LOL It doesn't get better than that. HA !
One time he referred to himself as Melina sticks in my mind as my favorite. It is actually a video used in Freddie's Loves. He was in a REALLY good mood, and when the camera got to him he sang, "EVERY NIGHTS A PARTIE.......AND MELINA'S MANSION". I wish we had audio here, as his inflection was hysterical.
If Freddie had lived a full life WOULD he have eventually come out. Hard to say. Queen would still be going strong, that's for sure.
I'm jumping around here..........what have I left out?

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apocolipsis_Darko
I'm gonna ask Thor about accuracy here, but I think Cruising showed it how it was........maybe only the "darker" aspects, of course, but all that WAS going on. As far as the gay population being offended..........somebody is always offended by something, but the gay population on New York knew that this scene was prevalent, AND they also knew there were many other scenes through the city in the late 70's and early 80's.

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bienkolove
That thought line about susceptible tissue in the mouth would truly be a conversation starter. It is not unusual, that when discussing safer sex, that it is suggested that one doesn't brush their teeth, there by exposing delicate tissue to invasion. That brings the conversation to the subject of kissing. My Doctor in L.A., who I will not give up even though I now live in Palm Springs, is brilliant, and has had many AIDS patients in his practice. Speaking as a gay man HE once told me "if you got it from kissing, we all would have it." I have remained HIV Negative, I am tested regularly, and I have been tested over 40 times since the test started in 1986. Whatever I'm doing, I'm doing the right thing.