Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 18, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well sure I'll wear one of the teeshirts that Freddie gave me in the early eighties...it might still fit...
ON ONE ARM!....LOL

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 18, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Thor hush! You look great. You can probably still slide it on no problem. Your name is unique enough it would be interesting to see if they tossed a background character in there named Thor. Maybe at the party scene?

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 18, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

So funny...that was my chuckle for the night! :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 04:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Snort, Thor, that was funny.

Does anyone know if tickets for the movie are available for pre-sale in the US? I thought I saw a site where I could order some, but I wasn't able to find the link to do it. I know I can't go the weekend it opens because I have other stuff going on, but I want to see it as soon as I can and I think it is going to be hard to get tickets. Maybe we can go in the middle of the afternoon. Surely tickets would be available then.

thundergod

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5,
Try googling FANDANGO. All you do is put in your zip code and they tell you the nearest theaters and the times it is playing. You buy your ticket right online. Lee and I are going to see the premiere in Palm Springs, on Nov. 1st.
This won't be anywhere near festivities of the premiere in Los Angeles, but I am happy to see it with the two living other people who knew Freddie - Lee and my x, Brandon. It should be fun with all three of us there.

thundergod

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops....it should read, "This won't be anywhere near THE festivities going on in Los Angeles OR NEW YORK,".

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you buy your tickets already Thor? I"m smack in the middle of the Mid-West, so no festivities here. But there is a lot of talk among my friends and my kids' friends, so I expect it to be very popular. Maybe I will try Fandango because I'm not going to be able to wait long.

thundergod

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 05:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did buy my tickets yesterday and they were not sold out yet, and believe me, if there is a city where there
will be an immense interest in this film, it is definitely the residents of Palm Springs, California.

thundergod

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry, again... a correction is needed. "definitely BY he residents of Palm Springs, California"

thundergod

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 05:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ay yay yay.. "By THE"

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No festivities where I live either! Very small city....only 2 theaters in town. One is Regal Cinemas...I looked at the site and it looks quite simple to order tickets ahead of time. Have never done that before. I am trying to decide if I want to see the movie during an off time...in the middle of the day when there will be fewer people in the audience and fewer distractions, or if it would be better to watch during a busy time to feel the energy of the crowd.

thundergod

Posted: 20 Oct 18, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think feeling the energy of the crowd is worth it, but just make sure you don't wind up in the first row...total neck pain!

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 18, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw the movie last night and I must say I was not really impressed. I won't give any spoilers but to me it read like all things gay depressed him and he had no fun or enjoyment out of it unless he was high on drugs. He seemed a bit miserable in my opinion.

I never got the notion that Freddie was a depressed and miserable being run by nothing but drugs and booze...I certainly didn't get the feeling that the real Freddie hated the gay lifestyle. For someone who hated it so much he sure did dove into it pretty hard..

Maybe that was just what I took away from it. Maybe others saw it and didn't get that feeling.

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 18, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had the same impression, no gay positivity, other gay men felt like they were just background objects to represent the mindless debauchery. He might have felt like depressed in Munich, but the whole band did, while there. It felt homo-shaming.

Posted: 30 Oct 18, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry to read those two reviews. I will see it on Monday the 5th and I"m very excited. The reviews on all of the Freddie pages I follow on FB are overwhelmingly positive.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 582 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 18, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

I just made another donation via GoFundMe. ?? Hope the book is coming along well.

I saw the film last Saturday. Entertaining , but I was a bit miffed at how Freddie was portrayed in certain aspects. Especially being a total sh*t to the rest of the band and them virtually breaking up in 1975 when in fact they'd been touring, and then him acting hostile (albeit only initially) toward the news of Mary's pregnancy (which in real life happened 3-4 years later!) When, in fact, from allI"be heard from Phoebe Freestone, he was nothing but delighted and supportive of Mary's relationships and her pregnancies.

It's not a particularly nice way to paint the may they are meant to be memorialising!

Just MHO !

Kind Regards to you and Lee, Thor, and to all the GOOD Queenzoners ! ?

FreddieDarling

Posted: 01 Nov 18, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Typos :

allI'be = all I've

may they are= man they are!

Flipping predictive text!

FreddieDarling