Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Darren_1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 73 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After reading a lot of reviews of the film and Thor’s just now , I really think Sacha Baron Cohen would have done a fantastic job had he been allowed to do his interpretation, the real version of how Freddie was . Maylor and Beach didn’t want this as they wouldn’t have been the main focus of attention , after all the tag line in the trailers was “His Story” , something along the lines of it anyway . Really hope he goes ahead and does his own version of the film

oligneisti user not visiting Queenzone.com
oligneisti
Bohemian: 211 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sacha Baron Cohen was too old, too pale and too tall to play Freddie. Just because this movie is deeply flawed doesn't mean he would have done it better.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I almost agree, Darren_1977 but any actor, in this case, would be obligated to present this movie according to the producers, Brian May and Roger Taylor
and their vision of it. I thought Rami did an excellent job. I did, however, wish they had erased the natural bags under Rami's eyes throughout the movie
and not just during Live Aide portion. For me, that was the only segment where I thought Rami looked and moved almost exactly like Freddie. The body type
was perfect. I think Sasha Baron Cohen might have been too tall and lanky to make a convincing Freddie. However, he did not want to work on a supposed
DOCU-drama where there was not an accurate story behind the man who made the group what it was. True, the others are great musicians, but without
Freddie's drive, exuberance, quirkiness, and flamboyance, Queen might have been the Supergroup that they were.

Lee e-mailed me a long clip of Peter (Phoebe) Freestone being interviewed. He states clearly that this is not a documentary but a movie based on a
rock band. He states that a lot of the detail was real with props, outfits and the personality portrayal of Brian, Roger and John. With Freddie, although
he only started working with Freddie one year before I met them both in New York. Therefore he also excused himself from touching on the early years.

It was great to see Phoebe again, if only on tape. He had his characteristic smile and soft voice with a feeling of confidence.

Here it is: https://youtu.be/Qe21XyopB1I Just copy and paste it onto your browser.

thundergod

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Correction: "Queen might NOT have been the Supergroup that they were"

thundergod

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed Oligneisty, thanks for that comment.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All right, I can't resist. If I am correct Roger and Brian are credited as music producers. Period. Phoebe was on the set every day and was so positive about what he was seeing, and he says that in Thor's link. The link is terrific. I heard it early on and agreed with him totally. He made the point several times that this was not a documentary and should be viewed only as entertainment. Of course I saw the errors and misrepresentations. I simply didn't dwell on them and allowed myself to be immersed in the entertainment. Many of my non-Queen friends have gone and loved the movie. They are now searching YouTube, etc to find out more about Freddie. They are asking me questions and I'm too happy to answer and share the whole Freddie with them. I haven't shut up since I saw the film on Monday and I'm going again next week. If this helps keep Queen and Freddie alive I'm happy.

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,
Thank you so much for your review! I was really looking forward to reading it, and I am happy that it resonates with my own thoughts about Freddie's character. Since I have watched a number of his interviews, and thanks to the fact that you and Lee have given us an insight into his life and character, I have always pictured him as a happy and easygoing person, loving his friends, and always surrounded by people who genuinely loved him. And because of that, I completely disagreed with the vision we were given in the movie, I thought it was too one-sided, too simple, if I may say so.
Having said that, for me it was still a great experience. I loved Rami's acting, I thought he really did his best, and personally, I would rather have his vulnerable and gentle representation of Freddie than the way Baron Cohen wanted to depict him. I liked some mini-sequences (like the scene on a radio), and LOVED the Live Aid scene. It brought me to tears to realize that I could have never been there but yet in a way I was able to experience it.

thundergod

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Katydyd,
Actually, I loved the movie too. My review may sound somewhat negative, but here is why: For over two years, I was preparing
myself for a documentary/drama as it had been advertised. In my mind, a drama does not have to be fictitious and a documentary
should never be. If I did not know Freddie, I would not have questioned anything about the movie and had accepted Freddie as
overwhelmingly talented, but like many superstars, moody and basically unhappy. With Phoebe stating that the movie was never
meant to be a documentary, I realized then, that I should be able to ease up on those expectations. Personally, I wanted to see the
happy, caring, loving side of Freddie that Lee and I had experienced clearly in the early '80s and found steady and consistent later-
on, even in the face of his AIDS diagnosis and failing body.

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way, Thor, have you seen a recent mini-documentary posted on YT? There is a moment when Peter shows a picture of you, Freddie and other guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05xtPMVCIs
I love that fact that the movie has attracted so much attention to Freddie and Queen

thundergod

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Catus,
Thank you so much, I'd never seen that clip before. That picture Phoebe shows is me, John Murphy and Freddie (plus someone I do not remember)
in the jacuzzi at the Hollywood mansion, he rented during the Michael Jackson collaboration. Unfortunately, as Phoebe points out, John was indeed,
the first friend (non-sexual) of his to succumb to AIDS after John left New York to live with his boyfriend.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@thundergod

a TV report on Freddie´s time Munich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG6PQDb2t0w

stevendabudgie

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@thundergod

stevendabudgie

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@thundergod

stevendabudgie

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@thundergod

thundergod

Posted: 07 Nov 18, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did somebody say a TV report?...LOL

Don't worry stevendabudgie (aus Deutschland), I've made the same mistake a few times.

I learned that you must only click "reply" once and wait. Sometimes it seems like your
message did not go through, but be patient before you click reply again.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 01:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,
It's so special to be able to learn your perspective, critiques and feelings regarding THE movie about your Friend!!! Very few people will have that special insight. I can't even IMAGINE what it must be like to be in your n Lee"s shoes!!!! You sharing private thoughts with all of us=PRICELESS!!!!!
Here"s some thoughts I have had.....some have been ruminating around my crazy brain for a while; some are triggered by the movie....
What viscerally bothered me about Rami playing Freddie (beside the bug-eyes,not his fault of course) was that they didn't give him warm brown eyes!! I read on the net that actors sometimes have a difficult time wearing contacts....but what about CGI????? Idk....but of all the truths I could temporarily suspend.....this one stuck with me.(considering I'm in dental....one might think it would be the horrfic prosthetic teeth.......go figure!!)
Since you and Lee were actually at Garden Lodge. How do you think it was represented visually/framed art, furnishings, etc??????? According to all written/oral accounts, Freddie was extremely proud of his art treasures!!!! Jim Hutton reported that one of the last things Freddie wanted to do was go downstairs to view his beloved collection.
Do you have Any gut feeling that Freddie may have suspected he MAY be ill around the time of Live-Aid......I know what Phoebe states about the spring of 1987......i'm inquiring about your intuition?????
I can't help but wonder How many who have seen the movie...did the first thing I did when I returned home...and that was to YouTube the actual Live-Aid Queen portion, and see it thru a new lense....even though I have previously watched it on my DVD and YT DOZENS if not Hundreds of times??!! The Best 20 minutes of Queen and Freddie......EVER!!!! Do you think Mary will give an opinion of the film???
And lastly, how do you think/feel it would have gone with Jim Hutton IF Freddie hadn't of been ill?????? Do you think Freddie might have married and had children, like Elton has done?????????
Sorry this is so long......thanking you in advance for your and Lee's response!!!

Blenkolove

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 01:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah.....i watched Munich T V special....but all I understood was FM, America and Chicago!!! Lol....maybe I can get one of my German patients to translate for me!!!!!!

Blenkolove

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 02:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 02:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove