Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG...THAT MUST BE INTERNAL ERROR...CUZ I DID NOT HIT REPLY 3 TIMES!!!!

SORRY!

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Thor! It is a nice clip, and I was so glad to see you all there, Loved the picture, you all look so happy and relaxed.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, thanks for your reply to me. It made me feel a lot better. I would like to have seen the same things you were looking for about Freddie, but I went into it knowing I would not. I also struggled for a while before the movie with Rami's appearance. Frankly, I think Freddie was one of the most beautiful men I've seen, so I knew no one would be able to approach that ideal I have in my mind. Once I got used to seeing Rami's pictures all over social media, I was able to accept him as Freddie. I've also watched several interviews where he shows enormous respect for Freddie. I thought the music was incredible. I saw it in an IMAX theater and it was as if I was experiencing the music live as it pounded through my whole body. I wanted Freddie's sexuality to be treated honestly, and I felt they did the best they could with the rating they had. I respect your views on that issue. I am going again next week, with another friend who likes the music, but really doesn't know much beyond that so I'm excited to share my obsession.

I really don't mind being in the minority here with my views, I simply didn't want to start a war of some kind, nor to be treated like the village simpleton. I've told you before that I'm fairly involved politically and it has been very stressful for two years now. I want my Freddie obsession to be my escape into joy. I don't mind sharing varying opinions at all, and I'm open to seeing something from a fresh standpoint. I just crave civility.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 02:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Katydyd,
That's why you are so wonderful. Thank you for that. Go enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! I'd be interested in what your friend thinks
about the Freddie persona that is displayed. I know they will love the music, you'd have to be from Outer Space not to.

QueenFan76 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know what Phoebe said but it is being called a biopic and many still act as if it's a documentary.

Personally, I loved it. Thought all but Roger were balls to the walls accurate. I was bothered that his look never changes much throughout the movie. And aside from historical inaccuracies, it's amazing.

I get the need to Hollywood up things but also puzzled that "right out of Hollywood" things like bad lovers like Bill Reid, the Death On Two Legs/Sheffield saga and Brian falling ill during the first US tour we're oddly left out.

I'm just thrilled Queen is getting all this attention and finally have a movie on them.

And I hope it leads to many more live releases and archival ones too. There's still a lot in those vaults!

MisterCosmicc user not visiting Queenzone.com
MisterCosmicc
Bohemian: 645 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

New Queen fans don't care about live releases or demos or extended versions or any of that... look at 'Let Me In Your Heart Again'... woah, so bad. Queen are totally controlled by their record labels and Jim Beach talks them into this crap. I wish Brian and Roger would honor the Queen fans that actually enjoy hearing their stuff aside from Greatest Hits tracks!

Queen do nothing to promote their 82-91 stuff.

Brian Wilson promotes Pet Sounds all the time. It reminds me of Queen promoting their 70's stuff. They surround themselves in an old era and are glad to be remembered by it.

oligneisti user not visiting Queenzone.com
oligneisti
Bohemian: 211 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am trying to think of the chronology and path of real Freddie vs. movie Freddie.

Movie Freddie:

Confused about his sexuality, splits up with Mary, gets sucked into the gay party and drug scene, regrets his partying ways, gets diagnosed and decides to settle down.

The problem with the movie version is that aids works as a catalyst for him settling down but real life Freddie had been searching for a meaningful lasting relationship longer. The fact that he was simply getting older and, as most people, got tired of the party life. Aids is of course significant in many ways, I would think, both the fear and also losing friends, but not the sole motivation for changing his lifestyle which was a part of a much longer process.

The movie is so easily viewed as a morality tale about the promiscuous gay lifestyle. I would dare any heterosexual man (of which I am one) to say that he wouldn't have lots of sex if it was easy, free from the fear of pregnancy and you didn't know about any serious STDs while at the same time society didn't accept you committing to a long term relationship. If you were a rock star in that kind of situation of course you would have sex all the time, hetero rock stars have sex with a lot of a girls even though they know about STDs, the risk of pregnancy and live in a society that not only accepts long term hetero relationships but also celebrates and even reward you for them.

The historical coincidence of aids, which could have started earlier or later, gives bigots such fuel for their condemnation that it is sickening to see how they use it. The movie, accidentally I hope, plays into the hands of these people. I would rather have liked to see a commentary about how the establishment, especially the Reagan government, tried to ignore aids instead of researching it and fighting it. It really took hemophiliac kids to get them to react since they were seen as "innocent" victims while gay people were "guilty" of having forbidden sex.

So, yeah, missed opportunity.

oligneisti

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And yes, I've seen people who've seen the movie wondering about who infected Freddie or if he infected Jim. As is if being the one who infects someone is guilty while the one who is infected is innocent instead of realizing that both people are victims of the disease. Reminds me of "And the band played on..." a well meaning movie which seemed to blame "Patient Zero" for the crisis.

Queenfanrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfanrach
Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you to Thor and Lee for your fascinating memories of your time with Freddie

I understand that you are or have written a book about it, do you have more details on that?

thundergod

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm Queenfan1976,
I originally heard this movie effort in the earlier days to be called a "Docu-drama" but the term "Bio-pic" is not much better as it suggests a biography which is also supposed to be factual and accurate. Perhaps the best term would be a " Movie- based on a true story." I love the music and the man and the music was real. I loved the credits with the real Freddie too!

thundergod

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry...QueenFan76

thundergod

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi MisterCosmicc,

Thanks for making your comment. I agree with your "Pet Sounds" bit about Brian Wilson...what a fantastic album!

thundergod

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey oligneisti,
Wow..what a well-written response. You have great insight into that tragic period of time.
Better insight than many gays now have. SO many have not learned the lessons from
that awful time period. They may be healthy now with the medications Freddie never had
access to, but with age comes a natural wearing down of the immune system.
I worry about them carrying HIV for all those years despite it being kept in check.

thundergod

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Queenfanrach,
We have written a "coffee table" style book with about 50 never before seen pics of Freddie
enjoying himself with his friends when he lived in New York City in his own hi-rise condominium.
Also, later, of our visits to Freddie and the Garden Lodge. The wonderful New York days '81 thru '83
are skipped over completely. They went right to the darker days of Munich in '84. The happiness with
his group of American friends would not have fit in the plot of the movie.
Our new book showcases this chapter of Freddie's life ...no brooding...no wild party-going. Yes there
was cocaine and alcohol but not to any miserable, out-of-control and relentlessly addictive extent.

thundergod

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, almost forgot. We have a GoFundMe site at https://www.gofundme.com/freddiemercury-bk-w-50-unseen-pics.
We are as of today, only $143.00 away from our goal of $2000.00 to help with publishing costs. None of the money will be
used until we have signed a publishing contract.

The publishing process has been long and tedious. We are still awaiting a final word, post submission of our entire manuscript,
by an excellent publishing prospect.

oligneisti

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Hey oligneisti,
Wow..what a well-written response. You have great insight into that tragic period of time.

Thank you. I was hesitant about posting this because I wasn't there but you saw it unfold.

A positive note: The interest from the movie should help you with the book and you could even sneak in some fact-checking about the movie there.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 18, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Blenkolove:

About the "Chicago"-bit: (gay) leather clubs in Chicago raffled weekend tickets for "Deutsche Eiche", the restaurant that is being shown. It also mentioned that Rainer Werner Fassbender, a famous German director, frequented "Eiche" and fell in love with a waiter. Back then there were casements, but even when opened, you could not look inside inside, the window panes were plastered with pictures. The reason was homosexuality was illegal back then ("paragraph 175, or "gay paragraph")). The old guy guiding us through Munich is Peter Ambacher a performance artist and drag queen. He started playing "Miss Piggy" (on the photos) in t he bar that is being shown. That´s where he met Freddie, a regular guest. Freddie seemed to feel quite cofortable there.
The first seconds of the report Peter is showing the bar where Freddie met Winnie Kirchberger, "Freddie´s big love", who was living on the seond floor of the same building. Somewhere in the middle of the report Peter states there were only 2, 3 of Freddie´s Munich circle alive- all the others died. He remembers that they had this quirk they all together should travel to New York for one week- which "proved fatal": Peter´s lover also died of AIDS, they were speculating that they contracted the virus in New York.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't believe Freddie contracted AIDS in New York, but perhaps rather in Munich. Of course, I don't know this for certain but Freddie did not go to the sex bars such as "The Mine Shaft" or downstairs at The Anvil in New York and I knew or met everyone that Freddie dated. I think Phoebe would know better than me as he was with him every day in New York and Munich. By the way, didn't Winnie show signs of AIDS a while before Freddie?

Stevedabudgie, I am not knocking Munich, I have been there three times (without Freddie) and I loved it. Nobody really knows how it was spread to him.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevenbudgie,
Thank You so much for taking the time to explain the clip to me!! How interesting!! I will now rewatch and understand it better!! I REALLY do have quite a few German patients (it's Florida....a true melting pot) who I am comfortable enough with to ask for a translation!!!
Also, i appreciate your response.....as i haven't received ANY responses so I was starting to think my post weren't 'posting'!!!
Side note....my mom had a blue parakeet (named Budgie) as a kid that she swears learned to talk by sitting on the handle of her toothbrush while she was brushing her teeth!!!
Take care!!!

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 02:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Thor Freddie did go to the mineshaft and the anvil according to freestone. Everything points to freddie getting it in late 79 or early 80. His boyfriend tony bastin he was with in 79 died of aids just a few years later around 85. Winnie died of it in 90 or close to freddie. Joe also had it and died after freddie. That's 3 he had sex with that had it but my money is on tony based on the dates. A sad story any way you slice it.