Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Dustin for the info. So it possibly happened before he moved to New York. To tell you the truth,
I really don't know any follow-up with Freddie's old boyfriends in New York since I moved to San Diego
in December of 1984.

Loved the budgie story Blenkolove! Stevedabudgie explained his connection with budgies in Germany
a while back.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dustin, thanks for confiming what I had thought I read in one of the many books on Freddie going to those clubs. Plus he wore the Mineshaft t-shirt on one of his concerts....and I may have spotted an Anvil t-shirt also. I have so many books on him....i just couldn't recall which one off the top of my head. Phoebe's book sounds about right!!

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't forget, I met Freddie at the Anvil- but it was the clean, light, upper floor, not the dark, crazy lower level.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 281 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope I'm not being too dark and feel free to tell me if I am Thor but I couldn't help but feel a flash of nerves piecing that timeline together and speaking with you. Tony was with freddie in 79 and died in the early to mid 80s. He's likely at least one of the people who gave him the virus. You met freddie in 80 or 81 (sorry I forget) and spent a night with them that happened to not pan out the way you expected. Again you can tell me if I'm being too crass but do you ever think about how close you were to a very different life had you and freddie not used protection and had a successful night? Now looking back and seeing it's very possible and most likely that he did have it by the time he met you..Jim said the only difference between him and Freddie was the date they were infected. Freddie found out he had AIDS in the late 80s and Jim got tested and found he had HIV. Because he was likely infected by freddie in 85 he never developed AIDS. So many people didn't make it just because they got it too early. And to think in 1980 you were right there. Sir I hope you dont mind me saying you're a very lucky man.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are correct Dustin, I am very lucky. But I think I can attribute my luck to wearing condoms with everyone including my 7-year relationship. Also,
I've mentioned this somewhere I think - I've always been a pitcher and not a catcher if you get my drift.

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 04:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Blenkolove

You´re welcome. There are other aspects in the clip: The man in "Deutsche Eiche" gives some personal insight. He grew up with a strict father who beat him. He could not talk to anybody about his homosexuality and was very miserable and desperate, even suicidal. But when he moved to Munich for his studies he finally felt good because of many gay institutions in the quarter. The AIDS crisis is also adressed. In 1987 the Bavarian government had plans for compulsory HIV-test for "risk groups". Although "homosexual" was not explicitly mentioned the Munich gay community felt stigmatized. As a result many gays left Munich for Berlin or withdrew into a much more closeted life style. In 1994 the "gay paragraph" was repealed. The report ends with the statment that gays had arrived in mainstream, Peter mentions that today gay couples can walk the streets holding hands, back then they only could live everything out inside the bars. But still, in Freddie´s times, it was also much more exciting. Many Gay bars have given way to shops or opened up to heterosexuals, only few bars from that time remained, "and the memories."

By the way, happy belated Halloween!

http://cooperscorner.info/?attachment_id=15516

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TOO Funny!! Killer parakeets!! Birds only Hitchcock would adore!!!
Ps....The Birds has left me freaked out by them my ENTIRE LIFE!!!
GOOD BELLY LAUGH....THANKS FOR THAT!!

Queenfanrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfanrach
Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor

I will be happy to pledge some money towards publishing the book :)

Do you guys have a Facebook group as well?

Charlies boy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlies boy
Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor when you get a chance could you check your messages please. Just had a couple questions I would like to ask privately if I can. Have a great evening.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow Thor, you guys reached your Go Fund Me goal! Congratulations! Is there any way you can restore the comments from donors? That disappeared at an earlier point. I always enjoyed seeing the words of encouragement being sent your way.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Stevendabudgie,
Thank you for your translation of the salient points of the Munich video... AND of course, the killer budgies...hilarious!

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Will do Charlies boy. Thank you for your FIRST post! ...Welcome friend.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Queenfanrach,
Thank you for your donation. Much appreciated.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Katydyd,
I have no idea what happened to all the donation messages - there were many. I will ask
GoFundMe for help on this matter.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As Katydyd pointed out, WE HAVE REACHED OUR GOFUNDME GOAL!

[Your support]..."and everything that goes with it...I thank you all"

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I don't know how GFM works. Can people continue to donate or does the door shut when the goal is reached?

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yay, you did it!! Congratulations, Thor and Lee!!

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Glad you asked Katydyd...

DONATIONS ARE STILL ACCEPTED, even beyond the goal.

I am going to increase it when we sign a publishing contract. I've set April 30th, 2019 as
the last date for finding a trustworthy publisher. After that, we will look into self-publishing.
We will NOT use one of the hundreds of Vanity Presses, some that hound me nearly every
week.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Catus...we couldn't have done it without you and so many wonderful QZ people!

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"and everything that goes with it...……..I thank you all" Thor, that was absolutely perfect.