Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Getting published is no "bed of roses" and "no pleasure cruise" dear Katydyd.

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"We are the unpublished writers of the world. And we'll go on fighting to the end!"

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Freddie..we'll "KEEP on fighting to the end"

stevendabudgie user not visiting Queenzone.com
stevendabudgie
Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,
your thunderbolt and lightening can very very frighten publishers.
They need your hammer to fall ;)

thundergod

Posted: 09 Nov 18, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HaHa Stevendabudgie...isn't it funny that one can find a Queen song lyric for every need and occasion!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 18, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can save it for another day.....Don't Try So Hard!!!!! (My New All Time FAVE)

queenbuzz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 18, 02:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am new and just spend the afternoon and evening your two threads. All I have to say is WOW ! Thanks for taking the time Thor to answer the questions. I have a few but will save them for another day. Thank you for your contribution!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 18, 03:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Queenbuzz. This is a nice group of people and Thor is great about answering questions. Sometimes Lee pops in too.

thundergod

Posted: 10 Nov 18, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I second the welcome Queenbuzz.

Lee has picked up extra shifts for Christmas money. I usually just speak for him. I have known him for 42 years and we usually agree on stuff.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 18, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Queenbuzz! This site is AMAZING, Thor (and Lee) is a generous 'host'. I have learned so much about Freddie here. And since he is my main obsession, it's wonderful to have so many others to 'share the Freddie Love 'with!!!...... Looking forward to your views, comments, movie thoughts, Freddie questions...etc.
Also...if you haven't checked out 'Ask Phoebe' yet...i recommend you do so. He has a wealth of information on Freddie also.

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you all soo much for the most kind welcome I have ever received from joining a forum group. Thor..I was just so impressed with what a class act you are in telling your story! Your kindness to others with answering question after question. I am 49 years old and my memories of queen were sneaking it from my conservative parents. Had nothing to do with Freddie or Queen, just the type music but I listened to it whenever I could.Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Ozzy Osbourn ect had all of those backmasking hidden "Satanic" messages that my parents would have kicked me out of the house for.

I read Jim Huttons book and the one questions I kept thinking of was was this a monogamous relationship on both sides? There were always other men in the house and Jim liked to go out and have a good time himself. Was everyone in that house platonic or did "things happen"? That might be a question for Phoebe.

I also am curious of Freddies thoughts on America. Not politics, but way of life, the country itself. We know he enjoyed NYC but what about the other parts of the country? He probably never stayed long enough in one city to really "look around". Was America the ultimate for him for success or he really didn't loose sleep over it if he wasn't number one.?

What was it like when the rest of the band traveled with their families? They all had children except for Freddie? Was the arrangements after the concerts much for subdued since there were kids running around?

Thank you again for welcoming me to the forum! I have not seen the movie yet, I had to take my son to see Venon tonight and I could hear the music in the theater next door. Wish I was there instead.

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh and one more for Thor. What a truly giving and compassionate life to choose to work for Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC. I often think of those who work with pediatric oncology and hospice nurses. How much of that heartache stays with you? What is the hardest think for you personally to have to go through with that kind of profession?. I hope that the families were touched by your kindness as you seem to be so compassionate. I know you are retired now but really wanted to ask you that personal questions.

thundergod

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi queenbuzz,
I'll answer your last question first. Pediatric Oncology was definitely very challenging. In those days, patients and their mother and/or father would room-in with their child which could last sometimes up to a month or more. With this long and unheard of today, length of stay, I was able to make friends with the kids and their parent(s). One of my first patients was a little boy from Venezuela and his mother. They did not speak English but I could get by with my Spanish I had a simple marionette who we called Pepe. Through Pepe, I was able to teach him things about his current care and his future care in a fun way which he really enjoyed. He had liver cancer and there were no liver transplants back then. I.treated him for a month, and then came to work one day and he wasn't there. Pepe was put in a bag at the nurses station. I was a wreck and cried for about a half hour. As months went by, I never got used to children dying but immersed myself in my work and developed ways to cope. Very few survived in that time period and with every death, I felt a loss and gave a long hug to the family member, if it happened on my shift. . I burned out after 3 1/2 years and got into Acute Physical Rehabilitation when I arrived in San Diego. where I was eventually referred to as the Spinal Cord Expert although sometimes I was assigned to the Brain Injury or Stroke units.

thundergod

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 05:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I know Freddie enjoyed traveling through America from 1980 - 1983. However he loved New York City the most.

At that time, not everyone could connect Queen with the actual Freddie Mercury, just like me at first. We could walk
down the streets of New York without most people not recognizing him. In West Greenwich Village where we spent
a lot of time together (I lived there). We all looked alike at that time in the early '80s with the way we dressed and,
of course, the ubiquitous mustaches. He could not do this in London. He longed to just fit in. So, with my group of
four pack-rats as friends and chaperones, he absolutely loved New York and was truly happy in the mansion in
the sky that he bought. Although avoided in "Bohemian Rhapsody," those were a wonderful 24 months for ALL of
us.

thundergod

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha Ha, other than a quick hello, how are you, to the bandmates. Freddie always wanted to leave the venue as fast as possible
and start our evening out together. Occasionally there were some children about, but we sailed right past them. Now, I wish
we hadn't. Brian, Roger, and John were great people and I would have liked to have known them better AND their wives and
children.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

I am so glad Freddie enjoyed anonymity while living in NYC. That must have been a welcome break from the rock star attention he often received. On those few occasions when he was recognized, do you recall any particularly interesting run-in with a fan? Would Freddie sign autographs if asked?

In regards to post-show activities, did Freddie ever need to talk about the concert with you, Lee and the guys, or was that all behind him once he left the venue?

Just out of curiosity, did you ever meet Jim Beach?

(I hope I'm not asking questions I already asked last year)

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A few job related questions...

What do you miss the most about nursing? Now that you are retired, is your nursing license still valid? When you moved to California, did you need to take additional courses or other exams to be licensed there?

I am always so grateful for people who choose career paths that I could never do...nursing is one of those occupations, especially in oncology...working for Child Protective Services is another just to name a couple.

NickGreen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor Glad you reached the book goal, i just made a donation (or three..i decided to up the amount i hope this is acceptable to you :) . and to thank you for your insights here.

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To the Queen Zone men and women spread far and wide who served their country…a very happy Veterans Day to you all. I thank you for your service and for your sacrifice. To the many Queen Zone fans who are spread around the globe and also celebrate November 11…Happy Remembrance Day!

Posted: 11 Nov 18, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops...I know Remembrance Day is a solemn day...