Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 18, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow, I just realized that I missed your last question. Remember, I was working in pediatrics and it was not until I moved to
San Diego (1984) that I saw my first HIV+ 16 years old hemophiliac patient. Before it was understood that casual contact with these
victims was not at all dangerous, anyone HIV+ was put on strict isolation. What a relief for all when just "universal precautions"
became the standard which is used with any patient. No gowns, no masks, just gloves, and handwashing when handling any
body fluids. Also, they developed safer methods to cap and dispose of needles to avoid needle sticks to the caregiver.

Charlies boy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Charlies boy
Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe what I'm seeing after the movie and I have no idea how you or Peter Frestone can handle it. Thousands [actually thousands] of people on all sites of social media, articles, YouTube videos and comments saying Freddie was into women and was shown as a proud bisexual in the movie. An article I saw yesterday shunned Mary for "leaving him because she didn't understand his bisexuality". You've got to be joking. Everyone who knew him and Freddie Mercury himself said he was gay. They act like closted people didn't exist. How many men marry women and have kids before realizing they are gay and not bisexual? Freddie didn't marry her [because he knew he was gay] never slept with another woman after her, called himself gay, all friends say he was gay, but he's deemed a "bisexual icon who absolutely was not gay"? How do people not understand he said he thought he was bisexual to her and she said he was gay because she knew he couldn't have sex with her anymore. A bisexual can and wants to have sex with women too. Freddie didn't. The movie made him look terribly jealous and hurt by Mary's pregnancy and dying other men when that shit never happened at all. It only served to hide the gay in him. Absolutely disgusting. I actually wanted my money back for my ticket. I should have asked for a refund.

Charlies boy

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 01:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry that should have said "dating other men"

Charlies boy

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter said Freddie told him that if a book or movie was to be made about him after death he would want it to be TRUTHFUL. I know Freddie didn't want the public to know he was gay but knowing Freddie wanted an accurate representation of himself after he was gone, do you think he would be annoyed that so many people are still desperately trying to make him into something he wasn't? I would assume he would have wanted the world to know he was gay and not into women in the one movie that was officially produced and made about him after his death. A movie that claims to be a biopic.

thundergod

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Charlies boy,
Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62QDfeClIlI if you missed it a couple of days ago.
If you've already watched it, no problem.

thundergod

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 01:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, Charlies boy,
This is why our book is so important. It tells the truth about Freddie being very confident and comfortable with his sexual
orientation. He never once eyed a female as a possible sexual relationship or was heartsick about Mary...she was a friend,
albeit, a very close friend. He certainly did not want her back as a love interest.

A05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Charlies boy wrote:

Peter said Freddie told him that if a book or movie was to be made about him after death he would want it to be TRUTHFUL. I know Freddie didn't want the public to know he was gay but knowing Freddie wanted an accurate representation of himself after he was gone, do you think he would be annoyed that so many people are still desperately trying to make him into something he wasn't? I would assume he would have wanted the world to know he was gay and not into women in the one movie that was officially produced and made about him after his death. A movie that claims to be a biopic.

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 02:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Charlies boy wrote:

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I apologize for double posting. The quoting tool seems to do tricks with messages.

>Charlies boy wrote:

>Peter said Freddie told him that if a book or movie was to be >made about him after death he would want it to be TRUTHFUL.

Well, actually Peter Freestone was consulting the screenwriters. He was one of the consultants along with Brian and Roger.

Thor, thank you so much for the answers. So Freddie┬┤s help was mainly doing things for his friends.

By alienated I was not meaning in a bad way. Geniuses are in many ways alienated from people surrounding them, even close friends. Sometimes people mistake it for arrogance. But in fact they live in their own world, and when it shows (like in Freddie's case through his music and voice), this world is beautiful and powerful. But at the same time in everyday life they may be at a loss for words .

I am glad that Freddie could genuinely relax and chat and laugh with his friends.

Charlies boy

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ao5 yeah I heard one of his interviews and I know he liked it as a not biopic. He talks to my friend on facebook and the convention and he told him it wasn't accurate but he didn't have total control and neither did the band. He said he was happy with it as a movie but not as a biopic for Freddie in the means of accuracy. If that makes sense.

Charlies boy

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Thor I will watch it when I get home tonight. The comments from idiots thinking they knew better than his friends and Freddie himself was enough to turn me off all Freddie and Queen related videos on YouTube for a week. I do take some comfort in knowing Peter said it wasn't accurate and not to expect accuracy.

thundergod

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My long response was once again eaten by the QZ monster. My fault because I did not save the message
which I certainly should know by now. I will try to repeat it tomorrow.

thundergod

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love all the new people that are coming to this blog / thread. YOU are so welcome and vital for the continued success of this pro-Freddie
site. We loved him then and so much more even now !

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 03:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Charlies boy wrote:

Ao5 yeah I heard one of his interviews and I know he liked it as a not biopic. He talks to my friend on facebook and the convention and he told him it wasn't accurate but he didn't have total control and neither did the band. He said he was happy with it as a movie but not as a biopic for Freddie in the means of accuracy. If that makes sense.

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>Charlies boy wrote:
>He said he was happy with it as a movie but not as a biopic for Freddie in the means of accuracy. If that makes sense.

I believe Phoebe was trying to be pollite. But what else is required from a biopic, if not accuracy?
I think morals in the movie are even worse than what was actually happening in the 80ies with Freddie's need not to voice openly that he is gay. Freddie was delivering his message in his interviews and shows without actually proclaiming "I am gay and proud", and did it gracefully and cool.

In the movie his "gay side" is shown as dark force leading him to the worst in his life, to betrayal of his colleagues, to disappointment of his family members. I am terrified that it is possible in 2018. No need to actually PRAISE it, but I believe things were far more complicated for Freddie.

I am a heterosexual woman, but even I was offended as Freddie gave me inspiration, freedom, humour, the ability to stand in tough times with a wink or a smile. And part of it came from his accepting his sexuality and being happy with it.

Charlies boy

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A05 I couldn't agree with you more. I just felt real disappointment in the movie's portrayal of his life and the negative connotations to his homosexuality. My friend John saw it the day after I did and not knowing anything about Freddie he said 'He looked like he wanted that Mary girl back pretty bad. And I don't blame him seeing as all the gays in his life looked like they used and abused him and kept him drugged up." I had to try to explain to him how far from the truth that all was. He also said he didn't know Freddie Mercury was that terribly sad and upset his whole life. 'Didn't he ever have a happy day after Mary?' That movie fell short for me.

thundergod

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow Charlies boy and AO5, I certainly agree with your last thoughts. Our book will set things right!

thundergod

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A good QZ friend sent me this privately, but I think it needs to be shared with everyone.
It gives the feeling of being at a live concert! Visuals are not very interesting but the music
is fantastic!

https://youtu.be/XRHuyBrJM_o

Blackvy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 269 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's great, Thor! It really sounds like a real live concert (by the way, Hi to everyone in this blog/thread!) I've been following this thread since the very beginning and I'm fascinated about all your Freddie's anecdotes, I would like to ask you some questions about him, but maybe another time :) .
Also, I agree with Charlies boy and A05 (and with many more!) about the inaccuracies of the movie, I know it's not a biopic, but since it was officially produced and made I expected a reliable and true story.

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Also, Charlies boy,
This is why our book is so important. It tells the truth about Freddie being very confident and comfortable with his sexual
orientation. He never once eyed a female as a possible sexual relationship or was heartsick about Mary...she was a friend,
albeit, a very close friend. He certainly did not want her back as a love interest."

Could you please clarify his relation with Barbara Valentin? If I remember correctly, she did claim at various occasions that they had a physical relationship, but it has always seemed questionable to me.