Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 234 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Thor - hello and welcome back.
@Lee - Welcome indeed.

I've asked Thor what he thinks on the criticism that Fred should have done more for AIDS awareness when alive so I won't go over that again.

Lee, did Freddie ever talk to you about Prenter and what a total arsehole he was? Lee, did you ever sense the man was a wrongen?
To be honest I didn't know much about Prenter until a couple of years back, I remember some of the latter year hounding and it still angers me. I prefer to remember the years prior to that and still love the more outrageous stories about Freddie, even some may not be PC or indeed embellished.
Lee any thoughts on Queen with Lambert?

Sorry to ignore you Thor, I've picked your brains enough.

Cheers

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 234 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seems I can't reply directly to posts, have my rights been curtailed?

Interesting the debate about Freddie and his open sexuality (or not). From what I remember and I was only a kid so it wasn't discussed in great detail with me everyone knew he was gay or 'bi' as it was termed sometimes. Must admit at the time I presumed he slept with men and women at the time, being such a vivacious character, but that clearly wasn't the case for his latter years. Looking back now I find it hard to argue that he in any way hid his sexuality, he adopted gay looks and he wore Heaven and Mind Shaft t-shirts for God's sake, how much more blatant could he be? Am I right that the arm-band he wore for Live Aid was a nod to the gay community watching? Also it's quite clear from Lee and Thor that he was quite open in New York as he was in Munich. I wonder in the age of cameraphone would he have been? He was also a shrewd business man and very commercially focused, as well as being a musician with integrity (quite a conflict in some ways) and I think it's pretty clear one of the reasons he didn't want to 'come-out' was for professional reasons. And you know what, why should there be a standard way of coming out? I wrote this on Thor's forum, I'm not obliged to tell the world I prefer women am I, so why should Fred have been for men? It's right there in how the individual behaves.

There's also an interview with him talking about IWTBF we've all seen a million times when he says of dressing in drag "People presume it's all my idea, because you know, I'm what I am but.." OK he's stopped short of saying he's gay but not far. My take is that he didn't hide it and for those that knew - fine, for those who hadn't worked it out - who cares?

On the question of would a 70 year old Freddie be 'out', in this day and age I don't know how he'd have been able to hide it.

Just my twopenneth, for the little it's worth.

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello, I am Noorie’s uncle. I am not planning to make an account because I am an old codger (born few days after Freddie) and I do not participate in internet forums or any social media. My niece has been badgering me to write about my time with Freddie at St. Peter’s. I am doing this just this once to make her happy.
Freddie and I were in school together since we were both very small lads. I only know him as Farrokh, and then later as Fred Bulsara. Not Freddie Mercury the superstar. He was a really friendly and good-natured chap, and we were very good friends. We both had some family in Mumbai, so we spent our holidays there, and he came over to our place very often, so we spent quite a lot of time together. It was quite a normal childhood. At school, nobody teased him any more than they teased anybody else. (All these references to Bucky and other horrors at school are pretty much nonsense.) We were a great group of friends, getting up to mischief, bunking class and sneaking out to Tableland (a big plateau close to our school). The food was atrocious and the teachers very strict. Corporal punishment was quite normal, but that was the case in most places.
Freddie was even then an extremely generous lad. We used to get ‘tuck’ from home or from visiting family friends from time to time. Once he received a box of very fancy chocolates – a rare treat. Normally the rule was that we offered all our friends some of our tuck, but kept the lion’s share for ourselves. But Freddie shared these very special chocolates equally with everyone, and then gave me a couple more for my sister (who was studying at Kimmins, our sister school across the street). He was always like that.
Fred was always the peace-maker. He hated it when anybody in our group fell out with one another, and always tried to get everybody to be friends again. He’d joke around until we had to laugh and give up our silly fights. One thing about Fred - he loved to win! Whether at sports or studies (not a very strong point), he loved collecting his cups and trophies and certificates, and getting photographed with them.
And Freddie loved his mother very much. We were all made to write letters home by our teachers. Most of us just wrote a few lines – we were fine, were they fine, we missed them… things like that. But Fred always wrote his mother long letters telling her in detail about everything that was going on. He also kept all her letters to him very carefully. They shared a very strong bond.
I think around grade 10 or 11, he moved full time with his aunt in Mumbai, and went to St. Mary’s School there. After that I lost touch with him. I went back to my home in Scotland, and he went on to become Freddie Mercury.
I never saw or heard from Freddie again except for one time I was in London in 1974, I think, and ran into my old friend Farrokh Bulsara from school. Noorie has written about that meeting in detail on another thread, so I won’t bore you all by going into it again, but I am so happy that with me he was still Fred Bulsara – never once mentioned who he was, and I had no idea either, as I was not and am not into rock music, and there was no internet back then to keep everybody informed about everything.. We just chatted for a few minutes about our families, a couple of school chums, and that was all. It was much later that I realised my school friend Fred was now a famous rock star! It was a very happy experience.
Okay folks, that’s all. Noorie will now hopefully keep her promise and not pester me about Freddie every time I see her.

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Noorie's uncle again. I wanted to add that I was very upset to hear about his painful agonising illness and death. It was unbelievable that he suffered so much. A couple of years after that when I went to India for a visit, a couple of us got together and toasted our friend Farrokh Bulsara.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 20:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow noorie's uncle,
What a fascinating story. I am so glad she pushed you to tell us about your early friendship with "Fred." I am so glad to hear
that he WAS NOT made fun of in school but actually admired. Thank you again. I know so little about Fred's early life. What
a breath of fresh air on the subject! Again I say...WOW!

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV,
Lee will answer your questions, but give him time, the poor guy has just started his work week today until Sunday.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61
Freddie's Love........hhhhmmmm.......here goes.
The TV station contacted me after Thor told them I was the guy with the photos of our adventures.
They found my sister on line, and relayed the message to her. My sister is kinda quiet, so when all of a sudden she was in the middle
of a communication of a London TV station searching for me, she frantically tried to reach me. I was vacationing at the time, and remember calling them from the deck of my cabin on a ship in Hawaii. Yay for cell phones........anywho......
I spoke to the director or assistant for a few minutes, and we set up a time to chat when I returned home to the L.A. area.
We were on the phone for over an hour, as I answered random questions, and spoke about the things I knew Freddie loved. Mary, Art, his homes, and his friends to mention a few........the chat went well.
The next thing I know, Thor and I were being treated to lunch at a hotel in Beverly Hills, prior to the taping of our segments.
I was somewhat suspect as to their goal here with the show, and found myself a bit concerned of misspeaking, and giving away too much personal info.
Little did I know that it would mean, they would barely show me in the show.......LOL........my photos, however, DID play an important part in the final product. I'm taking a moment to set this up as I feel we were lulled into what we thought was going to be a positive declaration of all things love and Freddie. Thor was a bit more comfortable in sharing some private stuff........nothing over the top........
When we saw the final product, which we didn't see until they sent us the finished copy, we were WT.........They didn't really twist our words or anything, but they seemed to be so focused on anything "tabloid worthy". Suffice it to say, we weren't as happy as we could have been.

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apocolipsis_Darko
Don't remember a Halloween, but the Easter Bonnet Party, was a blast. I'm sure you've seen the photos.
We would often catch up on celebrating everything when we saw each other, as getting up to 8 people together when everyone is working, traveling, or playing was tricky. As I have mentioned, we didn't need a special occasion to celebrate being together.

One birthday celebration for me DID fall ON my birthday. We headed up to Freddie's place around midnight for a little celebration before we went out on the town. I actually have a photo of that night.
Fun, fun, fun

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV and Noorie
GREAT posts............i have a couple of appointments.......will address all when I return........

Again, thank you to everyone for making this a special place to recall special times.......

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 186 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Noorie,

Please pass along a BIG thank you to your uncle. His recollections were amazing! Freddie's pre-fame school days are far less documented then his Queen days, so it was a joy to read about Freddie during that time period. I'm not surprised that he was a kind and generous person even then. Loved reading again about your uncle's encounter with Freddie and how Freddie didn't need to be the "rock star" with him. I find Freddie's genuineness and lack of star arrogance very heart-warming!

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Noria's Uncle
I have to quote Thor here......."WOW"
I don't believe anyone has written anything like that about Freddie.
I hope you get to see our responses as I, for one, was thrilled to hear even the smallest of details revolving around his child hood.
Thanks you sir.......and thank you Noorie for being just enough of a pest to get Uncle to fill us in.

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow 61
sorry.......a typo.....Freddie's Loves, plural

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOTV
I'm not sure that Freddie DIDN'T contribute to the AIDS issue in some way. His friend, Sir Elton certainly did and does. Maybe it was one of those things that he kept private.......didn't choose to speak of......
I suppose only Mary, Phoebe, and Jim may have known.

Our encounters with Paul were brief and seldom, as I recall. As Thor has mentioned he had a thing for our friend Joe (another "Liza" as his last name was Scardili). Joe was quite handsome, and Paul fell slave to his charms, so he probably had something to do with us being asked for on so many an occasion, like Thor said. I DO remember Paul and Freddie "coming to blows" one evening in Freddie's hotel suite. Doesn't matter which hotel. Doesn't matter what it was about........I don't remember. Paul was VERY unhappy, and I'm sure embarrased and marched off to his room.....followed by his trick du jour, who clearly would have rather stayed and played with us.

I like your attitude to proclaiming or should I say NOT proclaiming one's sexual orientation. Good for you. About Freddie not being able to stay in the closet were he still to be around? Sir Elton certainly never suffers because of his candidness. Freddie could very well have oozed out of the closet in a very class, sophisticated way, or rumors might have just become stronger and stronger until people didn't need to ask. it IS 2017. That being said, I must quickly add, that there are still people who live in another world like that troll who joined us for a moment on Sunday. Who thinks like that.........?........and he claimed that Freddie was his idol.

Stop The Madness user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Call me a troll if you want but that story about Noorie's uncle is false. Before you jump down my throat keep in mind that he said the Buckie thing never happened. Have any of you seen the untold story? Freddie's own letters home to his mother admit he was called Buckie all the time. The boys who were interviewed for it have proof that they knew Freddie at the time and they said it happened. This guy just comes on here and says he knew Freddie with contradicting information from official documentaries that Freddies family and Peter Freestone supported and he's believed. Come now. You guys should know better than that. Noorie does your uncle have any proof of his claims? I'm just wondering why his story is so much different from the ones Freddie wrote home and those from the friends who really knew him. I also followed the entire Thor thread and never once did you ever mention anyone in your family knowing Freddie. You even discussed Freddie in boarding school once and still never said your uncle knew him. I find it really odd that suddenly your uncle who has no photos of proof of knowing him back just pops up.

Dustin Zimmerman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stop The Madness

Although I think you're an asshole for your first post I have to admit that I agree here. I read it earlier and I too found it odd. I have The Untold Story on DVD so I can confirm what Maddness said about THAT is true. But who knows maybe he has pics with Freddie. There are tons of pics of Freddie with friends at St.Peters on The Untold Story. Someone had a camera. Also all of them called him Freddie and not Fred because apparently Freddie didn't like that. The band called him Fred that was about it. When he signed their year books at St.Peters it was always signed either Farookh or Freddie. Never Fred.

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stop The Madness,
My only hope is that you live in Alabama and have voted for Roy Moore because after all I am sure EVERYONE would rather have a pedophile
as a Senator from Alabama than some queer or Democrat. By the way, you promised to leave the site in disgust. This will be my last communication to you.
Your madness should be stopped!

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor

Agreed but at least he had a point this time.

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's cool Dustin, maybe you and Stop The Bigotry- I mean Madness -can Private Message
each other. I have no reason to not believe noorie nor her Uncle...Perhaps The Untold Story
could use a little fact scrutiny. After all the man Freddie introduced himself as FRED, a musician.
His privacy name was Alfred Mason when I met him.

The Squirrelly One user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 23:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found the new thread! It took my long enough. I thought it had it bookmarked but I guess it didn't take....I have been reading and catching up on it and it's great so far! I'm just going to ignore Stop's first post because it was hateful and ugly however I too had the same questions about Norrie's uncle's story.

Lee welcome! Will you be uplaoding any of your lovely pictures here to share? I hope so! Thor has been a sweetheart and we've been very lucky to have him

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor why is it that when you disagree with someone you get defensive and jump to conclusions? We saw it a few times on the last post. First of all the Fred thing wasn't from the untold story. It was from Peter Freestone. Secondly why would the untold story need to be fact checked when the information came from Freddie's mothers mouth on video? And Peter Freestone. And his sister. And Mary. And the band. And a million other people who knew him for years and years. And Freddie's own letters. His mother kept his letters and they WERE read in the doc. And yeah they do say he was called that for years.

I politely agree with this guy on this ONE thing and you assume I'm a dick too?