Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barbara's sex claim is absolutely Lesley Ann Jones' most annoying lie. Freddie said it never happened, Peter, Crystal, and Jim. Most importantly, her timeline proves it false.
Freddie dated:
Joe Fanelli- 1978-1980
Winniefred Kirchenberger (I know I butchered that spelling lol) -1983-1985
Jim Hutton- 1985-1991
Barbara claimed they had sex in 1984 and 85.

Freddie was officially diagnosed with AIDS in 1987. He notified Joe, Winnie, and Jim immediately so that they could get tested. He told lovers from as far back as the late 70's, but Barbara herself admitted he hid the diagnosis from her. He didn't tell her he had it and never told her to get tested as he did with the people he did sleep with. "He cut his finger once and screamed at me to stay away from him. He did not tell me he had it." Barbara found out in 1989 that Freddie had it. To believe she and Freddie had a sexual relationship is to believe he willingly hid his diagnosis from a lover and friend, keeping her from finding out about her HIV status. Not only that, but you'd have to believe that from 1975 to 1984, a man who never enjoyed sex with women and never touched one or showed any interest in one those years, suddenly jumps into bed with a heavyset woman with a large chest. With his gay boyfriend. Who was horribly jealous but was somehow ok with sharing Freddie. Doesn't add up.

Lesley Ann Jones printed that Barbara sex lie back in the 1990's. She calls herself Freddie's "official biographer" but she's been called out on lies by tons of people close to Freddie over the years, Peter Freestone will no longer work with her and Chris Taylor has gotten blocked by her for asking her why she printed this lie in particular. He asked Freddie himself if they had sex, and Freddie said no. Peter said no. But she printed it anyway. Barbara was also seen on The Untold Story on camera and never once claimed to have been more than a friend. Either Lesley made it up entirety (since now she's claiming to have lived with Barbara- something she never mentioned in her other books in the Barbara chapters), or Barbara knew better than to make those claims on fact checked documentaries.
She did act as a beard for the press in the 80s just as Mary did. However, if you've read Peter's book, he talks about Barbara getting caught calling the press and telling them where she and Freddie's group would be each night so that she could get her photo taken holding his hand and make the front page. She was also telling the German press that they were getting married. Which freaked Freddie out and upset him pretty badly. He felt she was taking her beard duties a little too far and trying to gain fame through him, as her fame had long since faded. They remained friends until his death but he stopped asking her to come over at the end, according to Peter.
She was never a lover and Lesley is tired as hell for trying that mess.

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PS I see that Thor and KathLEEN have reached their goal on GoFundMe. I will have to look thru the page and see who qualifies to be in the Freddie LED lamp giveaway for it. Gimme a couple days and I'll update everyone! Best <3

MisterCosmicc user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bicycle
MisterCosmicc
Royalty: 1124 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers2 wrote:

Barbara's sex claim is absolutely Lesley Ann Jones' most annoying lie. Freddie said it never happened, Peter, Crystal, and Jim. Most importantly, her timeline proves it false.
Freddie dated:
Joe Fanelli- 1978-1980
Winniefred Kirchenberger (I know I butchered that spelling lol) -1983-1985
Jim Hutton- 1985-1991
Barbara claimed they had sex in 1984 and 85.

Freddie was officially diagnosed with AIDS in 1987. He notified Joe, Winnie, and Jim immediately so that they could get tested. He told lovers from as far back as the late 70's, but Barbara herself admitted he hid the diagnosis from her. He didn't tell her he had it and never told her to get tested as he did with the people he did sleep with. "He cut his finger once and screamed at me to stay away from him. He did not tell me he had it." Barbara found out in 1989 that Freddie had it. To believe she and Freddie had a sexual relationship is to believe he willingly hid his diagnosis from a lover and friend, keeping her from finding out about her HIV status. Not only that, but you'd have to believe that from 1975 to 1984, a man who never enjoyed sex with women and never touched one or showed any interest in one those years, suddenly jumps into bed with a heavyset woman with a large chest. With his gay boyfriend. Who was horribly jealous but was somehow ok with sharing Freddie. Doesn't add up.

Lesley Ann Jones printed that Barbara sex lie back in the 1990's. She calls herself Freddie's "official biographer" but she's been called out on lies by tons of people close to Freddie over the years, Peter Freestone will no longer work with her and Chris Taylor has gotten blocked by her for asking her why she printed this lie in particular. He asked Freddie himself if they had sex, and Freddie said no. Peter said no. But she printed it anyway. Barbara was also seen on The Untold Story on camera and never once claimed to have been more than a friend. Either Lesley made it up entirety (since now she's claiming to have lived with Barbara- something she never mentioned in her other books in the Barbara chapters), or Barbara knew better than to make those claims on fact checked documentaries.
She did act as a beard for the press in the 80s just as Mary did. However, if you've read Peter's book, he talks about Barbara getting caught calling the press and telling them where she and Freddie's group would be each night so that she could get her photo taken holding his hand and make the front page. She was also telling the German press that they were getting married. Which freaked Freddie out and upset him pretty badly. He felt she was taking her beard duties a little too far and trying to gain fame through him, as her fame had long since faded. They remained friends until his death but he stopped asking her to come over at the end, according to Peter.
She was never a lover and Lesley is tired as hell for trying that mess.

Lesley is a well-known liar, but it's true that Barbara was very much head over heels in love with Freddie!

Hotdog

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And she may have been in love with him. Mary was in love with him and didn't have sex with him after he came out. Love doesn't equal sex. Especially when that love is between a gay man a straight woman. For Freddie, it was a friendship love. A platonic love. Like he loved Thor and Lee. For Barbara? Well, she wouldn't be the first woman to fall in love with a gay man. Sorry to say but my sympathy doesn't extend very far with her. Let's not forget the sex story wasn't her only lie. She also claimed Freddie strangled her and slammed her skull into a sink "out of jealously". Both things never happened, according to Peter and the stories she told to Lesley just never add up. Idk how much of that was Lesley herself, but Barbara did tell her friends he tried to harm her. And calling the press to show up at clubs so that she could act as his beard for her own benefit? Not the greatest of friends he ever picked.

Bicycle
MisterCosmicc

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Villiers2 wrote:

And she may have been in love with him. Mary was in love with him and didn't have sex with him after he came out. Love doesn't equal sex. Especially when that love is between a gay man a straight woman. For Freddie, it was a friendship love. A platonic love. Like he loved Thor and Lee. For Barbara? Well, she wouldn't be the first woman to fall in love with a gay man. Sorry to say but my sympathy doesn't extend very far with her. Let's not forget the sex story wasn't her only lie. She also claimed Freddie strangled her and slammed her skull into a sink "out of jealously". Both things never happened, according to Peter and the stories she told to Lesley just never add up. Idk how much of that was Lesley herself, but Barbara did tell her friends he tried to harm her. And calling the press to show up at clubs so that she could act as his beard for her own benefit? Not the greatest of friends he ever picked.

I wouldn't believe everything you've read on paper or in books in terms of what Barbara said. Nor would I say it was Barbara in those things doing the storytelling.

Hotdog

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, the sink meets skull story came from her friend. And the press story came from Peter. Barbara was far from saintly, sorry. Her own son wrote a book and made it clear they were friends but his mom had a fascination with him, apparently. Again, no idea how much was Lesley but she couldn't deny the press or making up the sink thing. Definitely not without sin.

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But still, it's a common myth being spread around by Lesley Ann Jones with no basis in reality and she needs to stop. As soon as the film came out, she did her rounds in the press with the "Freddie's secret women" stories and you've got to wonder what her agenda is there.
It's as bad as the "Freddie went clubbing with Diana" thing. There's no point to these stories, he's interesting enough without lies.

c.jory

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

These Barbara things may have been via tabloids, but they were "exclusives" in which she contacted them. Furthermore, Freddie himself temporarily fell out with her for this very reason: she went to the press and lied and he knew it.
If the man himself thought she pulled those stunts, then we're probably correct.

Bicycle
MisterCosmicc

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

c.jory wrote:

But still, it's a common myth being spread around by Lesley Ann Jones with no basis in reality and she needs to stop. As soon as the film came out, she did her rounds in the press with the "Freddie's secret women" stories and you've got to wonder what her agenda is there.
It's as bad as the "Freddie went clubbing with Diana" thing. There's no point to these stories, he's interesting enough without lies.

Yeah, Lesley has told the press that the film overlooks Barbara, that she was the love of his life, etc... crazy.

Hotdog
c.jory

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly, their initial friendship only lasted from 83 to 85, not in the same league as his friendship with Mary. In before someone says "but there are photos of them post 87!" they made up. But they weren't as close as before and their friendship is insignificant compared to most others he had.

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"There's no point to these stories, he's interesting enough without lies." This!

LAJ rode the movie wave and came in with yet another article Crystal tore apart. She now claims not only was Freddie into women (yeah right) but he "sniffed the bicycle seats the naked females riders sat on for the 'Fat Bottomed Girls' video. Amazing, as Fred and the boys weren't even in the same country while the video was being recorded. I assume he had to have the seats wrapped in plastic and sent to him in France to hold in the scent then, Les.

Lmao so tell us Thor, how often did ol' Fred get the craving to sniff a lady's undercarriage? Lol omg.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 516 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are right Thor, we are seeing a lot of new people these days and I like that. I may not agree with them all, but the increased interest in all things Freddie and Queen is wonderful to see. I've been to the movie twice now, both times with friend familiar with the music and little else. They both came out with lots of questions that I was happy to answer. Both have also spent a lot of time on Google and YouTube finding out as much as they can.

Villiers, I agree with you concerning both Barbara and Lesley Ann Jones. Poor Rainbow had to endure a recent rant from me in email about LAJ. I'm not going to get started here, but I would never read one single word she's written.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 516 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 18, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A few minutes later and while I wouldn't read a book by Jones, apparently I will look at her FB page. Sickening. Worse yet, all of the people following her and eating up every bit she posts.

A05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 18, 02:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>Yeah, Lesley has told the press that the film overlooks Barbara,
>that she was the love of his life, etc... crazy.

I prefer to see it that way - from what I've read in numerous books about Queen and Freddie, and a number of documentaries, EVERY person Freddie EVER was with, deems he or she was the love of his life. And tells that "ok there was Jim,Mary, David, Winnie, but I was the real love of his life" (Barbara's version). Then "There were male lovers, but I, Mary, am the most important person, he trusted me with his house and ashes and legacy..." "Ok, Mary was a long-time girlfriend, but I, Jim, was the one who cared about him till the end. He called himself a hubby." "Ok, I was the first ever his man love, he lusted for me, and here is a telegram from "hubby" to David Minns."
May be he just had too much love for this world...the love (whether with sex or without) he shared with each of those people was more than anything they ever experienced.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 18, 03:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahhh...Villiers2

How about NEVER, not even once!

thundergod

Posted: 16 Nov 18, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Sheldon, I wish I could tell you, but the Germany days were marked only by a few phone calls. He never mentioned Barbara, but
I can imagine he had the need for another beard.to ward off the press.

Posted: 16 Nov 18, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually always found Jim to be really humble. I don't recall anything he said that claimed he was the one and only for Freddie. Although I did see a letter from Freddie to him saying he made him the happiest he'd ever been, and he did say on record Jim was the niche he'd been looking for all his life. If anyone put the "great love" title on Jim, it was Freddie imo. And as much as I don't dig Mary, I don't think she ever made that claim either. The Mary thing has been pushed in docs for years now but admittedly, I don't remember Mary ever actually saying she was the love of his life and knew him better than anyone etc. That usually comes from Brian May, strangely enough. He seems a bit hooked on Mary. Mary actually said she had no idea how Freddie felt about her over the years because he never told her. She said she found his feelings out through interviews when he mentioned her. I get the feeling it was a friendship but not as soul-binding as the media and Brian wants people to believe. No doubt they were close, but he hid alot of himself from her even after he came out. Barbara is really the only one (and again, idk how much of this was LAJ) that I can remember ever claiming was the love of his life or he was hers. And from all accounts, Freddie saw her as a friend and nothing more. 99% of her stories in print are false. I have to wonder how much of it was made up in her own head. She didn't seem very stable. David I found to be refreshingly honest. He didn't sugar coat Freddie's nasty side, and yes Freddie did send them those letters and call him hubby too. Freddie did proclaim himself that David was a major love for him. So I can't really blame Minns for giving off that vibe. Jim and David, yeah, genuinely lovers and romantically loved by Freddie. Mary, very much a motherly, sisterly, close friendship. And Barbara seemed to be a friendship that he had outgrown well before his passing. At least, that's the feeling I got from Peter Freestone.

There I go on another rant after I told myself I wouldn't anymore (nobody caaaaares) lmao sorry!

thundergod

Posted: 16 Nov 18, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi C.Jory,
You mean that woman is still around spreading her lies about Freddie\? Bless her nasty heart!
She feels that she was an important part of Freddie's life. Dementia tends to do that.

thundergod

Posted: 16 Nov 18, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mister Cosmic...So BARBARA was the true love of his life. I wonder if she started a lawsuit

thundergod

Posted: 16 Nov 18, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

against Mary.when we all know, Barbara certainly deserved the inheritance.