Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Nov 18, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, it seems as if I am receiving a treasure chest of interesting articles about "Bohemian Rhapsody."

Try this one out, and thank you QZ friends.

https://movieweb.com/bohemian-rhapsody-rami-malek-disappointed-freddie-mercury-personal-life/

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 18, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with this article. I would like to have seen more of Freddie's personal life. But then again, I'm obsessed. I wonder if so much was left out because the movie needed to appeal to many who knew little more than Queen's music. This way they got an overview, even though it was flawed. The teacher in me has enjoyed going with friends who knew little and being able to share what I know. I'm impressed that Rami is still researching and learning more. All of my friends who have gone have come home and started with Google and YouTube and are still learning. The movie sticks with you, whether you liked it or not. The first time I saw it I was so jazzed I could hardly sleep that night.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 18, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Everyone! New to this forum and new-ish to learning all I can about Freddie Mercury (thank you internet!). That being said, I took my 13 year old daughter to see Bohemian Rhapsody and while we both enjoyed the movie, after spending a lot of my time researching Freddie and Queen, I’ve realized that there are few trusted sources of information out there. So I’d like to say to Thor, thank you for being one of those. (Phoebe being the other go to). I still have the majority of this thread and the previous one to peruse of course. ??
It’s nice learning about Freddie from you guys, he really was genuine and wonderful and someone who I would have loved to call a friend. I remember when I was younger, watching SNL reruns and Queen’s performance of Crazy Little Thing Called Love came on, being mesmerized by him then; but of course being in America my tastes ran more along the lines of Guns ‘n’ Roses at that time. So now I get to share Queen with my daughters and hopefully share truer stories than most about Freddie with them. Hopefully they’ll do the same with their kids, I don’t see his music going away anytime soon!

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 19 Nov 18, 02:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Anniebee!!!
Warning: Be Prepared.......I have been on a three year intensive journey to learn ALL THINGS FREDDIE.....(my initial thanks goes to: Amazon!....) and no matter how much I consume, how much i learn......i still want MORE!!!! I have 'introduced' my grandaughter (she's 5) to the Magic of Freddie and Queen!! She knows much of Freddie's catalogue!!! Like you, I believe Freddie will be relevant for decades, if not centuries!!!
Thor, Lee, Phoebe....are awesome sources and thank goodness they willingly share with us fans!! But I would LOVE to know Mary's perspective, Jim Beach, David Wigg. Even after all I've read, and now the movie.......i get the feeling that even Brian, Roger, and John Didn't REALLY KNOW Freddie. Sure, they knew Freddie the musician, the ultimate showman....but I don't think they really knew him outside of that???????? ...........i might be wrong.....

Posted: 19 Nov 18, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Blenkolove for the kind welcome! (And warning, HA!)

I wonder also how much the band really knew Freddie, but I would assume that as much time as they spent together throughout the years maybe they knew him more than you think?

Also, thank you Lee for sharing your stories as well, I'm glad you all have found a place where you feel comfortable doing so.

Question for everyone, mustache or no? I have heard a lot of people didn't like Freddie in a mustache, but I think it was one of my favorite looks. :)

Thor, are you still in the medical field? I do vascular ultrasound, it's nice to meet others with medical backgrounds.

I think that's all for now, lol

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 01:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

What are you doing for Thanksgiving...making a big turkey dinner for friends? :)

I don't recall reading anything specifically about Freddie celebrating Thanksgiving in the US. In one of Peter Freestone's "Ask Phoebe" columns, he did say there were a few times when Freddie had a big traditional Thanksgiving dinner prepared for friends. I don't know if he meant while Freddie was in the US or if that was something he did for American friends who might have been in London at the time.

Queen played at the Montreal Forum on November 24 and 25 in 1981. That was the concert that was filmed. The next day would have been Thanksgiving, so Freddie could have easily flown back to NYC for the holiday Can you shed any light on that? Did you ever celebrate Thanksgiving with Freddie?

Very happy to see all the new people on this site. Welcome one and all!

thundergod

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Anniebee, I would also like to welcome you to our (and now, your) site!
Now, MY warning to you - we are mostly filled with wonderfully kind and friendly
people. They/We are the sort of people that have bonded over our mutual respect
and devoted love of Freddie Mercury and Queen. Friendships are naturally formed
here. If you don't want more great people on your friend's list, then turn away from
this site. So far, I'm thinking you can handle it!
Welcome friend.
Thor and on behalf of Lee.

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd like to add my welcome to the newbies. I read this thread for a long time before I couldn't resist and created a name and jumped in. Lots of fun and knowledgeable people here, so I think you will enjoy! I've made several good friends as a result of this group, and that was an added bonus. Sharing with Thor and Lee is incredible. Glad to have you on board.

thundergod

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow,
On Wednesday morning I am driving to Palm Springs to enjoy the Holiday with Lee and a few other friends.
I will be taking a short break from replies. I should be back at my computer by Monday evening.

Actually, we never celebrated Thanksgiving with Freddie. All of our parents were still alive, so Thanksgiving
was left as a (related to) family day. Now, if you want to talk about Christmas, our second family spent it
together twice and a great time was had by all!

thundergod

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd...you stole the words right out of my mouth!...LOL

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL, Thor, actually I did but wanted to repeat the sentiment.

Have a great Thanksgiving. We celebrate it on Wednesday and I love that. I can just relax Thursday, watch the Macy's parade and then the dog show. I lead a simple life.

thundergod

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That sound like a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving!

thundergod

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 02:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sound should read sounds...dah!

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 02:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you everyone! I look forward to bonding over Freddie and Queen with new friends!

Thor, have a great Thanksgiving with Lee and friends in Palm Springs!

Katydyd5, have a great Thanksgiving on Wednesday! :) Unfortunately for me I have to be on call at the hospital so Thanksgiving will have to wait until the weekend.

thundergod

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, Anniebee,
I forgot to answer one of your questions above.

I let my RN license become non-active last March. I could get it activated
again if I wish, but wow, retirement is the bomb! :)

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

I'm thrilled that you have reached your target for your book. I'm so looking forward to it to be released.

Hard to believe that in a few days it will be 27 years since we lost our lovely Freddie!

I'll bet he'd be amazed that he is still loved and adored and a source of neverending fascination all these years later.

Re the movie, I loved the Live Aid scene but my hackles rise many times over the way Freddie's personality and personal life were depicted. I'm surprised by Brian, Roger and Jim Beach's agreeing to see their friend and colleague shown in this false way.

Nobody claims Freddie was perfect. Which of us is? But to blatantly lie about his reaction to other people, his supposed extreme loneliness (if he's lived all alone in Garden Lodge, the man would have starved!) and the way his solo venture was shown as breaking up Queen! Totally unnecessary for the plot, in my opinion.

I've "corrected" as many people as I can as to Freddie's true character as I know it from reliable sources (Phoebe and yourselves!) to try to preserve his good name.

Loving your thread Thor and Lee! And enjoy most people's comments and questions.

Take Care to you all.

Kind Regards

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"if he's lived all alone in Garden Lodge, the man would have starved!"

Lol cracking up! That's true, too. Poor guy was absolutely useless in the kitchen and the way Peter talked about it, he couldn't boil an egg. Makes me think of the Winnie story Peter mentioned in his book- Winnie (not giving a shit who Freddie was) told him to vacuum the floors in his restaurant, and surprisingly, Freddie did it. A little chore for the King lol. Peter seemed shocked Freddie agreed to do it...and didn't burn the place down in an electrical fire in the process lol.

Outside of 5 minutes of any chore, I doubt he would have stuck to. Apparently once Freddie and Jim got into it about something or other and Jim stormed out for a walk. Freddie grabbed some gloves and a shovel and went outside to garden yelling "I'll show him. I'm NOT useless!". Peter said he went to gardening for a couple minutes before turning the shovel over to Peter and telling him to finish lmao.

Jim came back and if I recall, found Freddie in his oversized gardening clothes and cracked up. Those two sounded like a certified old married couple!

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"if he's lived all alone in Garden Lodge, the man would have starved!"

Lol cracking up! That's true, too. Poor guy was absolutely useless in the kitchen and the way Peter talked about it, he couldn't boil an egg. Makes me think of the Winnie story Peter mentioned in his book- Winnie (not giving a shit who Freddie was) told him to vacuum the floors in his restaurant, and surprisingly, Freddie did it. A little chore for the King lol. Peter seemed shocked Freddie agreed to do it...and didn't burn the place down in an electrical fire in the process lol.

Outside of 5 minutes of any chore, I doubt he would have stuck to. Apparently once Freddie and Jim got into it about something or other and Jim stormed out for a walk. Freddie grabbed some gloves and a shovel and went outside to garden yelling "I'll show him. I'm NOT useless!". Peter said he went to gardening for a couple minutes before turning the shovel over to Peter and telling him to finish lmao.

Jim came back and if I recall, found Freddie in his oversized gardening clothes and cracked up. Those two sounded like a certified old married couple!

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Omg. I forgot the double post rule. Never click the submit button more than once. No matter how long QZ takes to load, sheesh.

Queeninlove user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 20 Nov 18, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Guys!
I'm new in the forum and i'm an italian fan of Queen.
It's incredible to have here Freddie's best friends and to talk with them about their amazing moments of life with him.
Ciao Thor and Lee!
I'm so curious to know the Christmas adventures with Freddie.
I know that Freddie was so generous and gave presents for all his friends and family.
Sorry for my english but i'm working progress...