Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1713 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Nov 18, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am back from Palm Springs, one day late. I will let Lee tell you the story why. He promised to soon make an overdue reappearance on this thread!

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well...Helloooooooo
He’s baaack.
I have been workin’, workin’, workin’.
My travel habit continues, and those airline tickets don’t
pay themselves. In addition to still paying for Australia,
I’m saving for Ireland...and maybe New York..AND,,,
maybe Montreux next September for a certain someone’s Birthday Party!!!!!
I’ve been catching up on the blog the last couple of days,
because I haven’t been workin’, workin’, workin’. Now i’ll Tell you why, seeing as Thor seems intent on “outing” my clumsiness. Actually I’m pretty agile and NOT clumsy, but everyone has their day. I was jogging and fell over my two left feet, sailing head first into the black top of the parking lot I was crossing. After an ambulance, four hours in an emergency room, and eight stitches, Thor treated me to Chinese food, and decided he was staying another night with out checking at the front desk. That was a joke. I more than welcomed him staying, as my face looked like Michael B. Jordan’s in Creed 2, and I was confident that I would be hemorrhaging in the middle of the night. That didn’t happen. Thank you Thor for the attention and the Chinese food.. It’s good to have a nurse around even though I AM NOT ClUMSY. I would attach a photo but some of you are having dinner. I look really butch.
There have been innteresting exchanges here, and I WIll catch up, I promise.
It’s fun reading your notes about the film, and the many comments on line that continue to grow. The one Thor posted is a fave of mine, and I just tell people to read it, instead of listening to me go on.
I’m off work for a few days, as I look REALLY bad and can’t have customers in my face for a few days.
Til tomorrow
Ciao

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FEEL BETTER SOON KATHLEEN!! Looking forward to your response......A belated Happy Thanksgiving to You!!

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good gracious Lee, I’m wincing just thinking about the pain you must be in. Thank goodness you had your own personal nurse lol. Maybe it’s the universe trying to tell you to take it easy? I know how it is to be “not clumsy”, I stabbed myself in the arm with a knife from the dishwasher once and had to get stitches. It’s amazing how many people ask, “what happened again?”, like, yeah, let me share my embarrassing story one more time. Feel better soon! And Thor, you’re a great friend! :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 490 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yikes Lee! I hope you feel better soon. A fall like that can set you back some. Good thing you had a personal nurse.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 490 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, and I meant to say that I hope you both go to Montreux! It would be such a treat for those who go to the party, and what a great chance to share your book. You've got to do it!!

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"The band and "reel friends" haven't called him bisexual. They've all called him gay. "He had girls in the early days but freddie never seemed truly happy until he started living as a gay man"- Brian. I don't know anyone who knew Freddie who ever claimed he slept with tons of women lol. Have you seen The Untold Story? Exactly the opposite, actually. But I have a sinking feeling this is a trolling attempt again so I'll just leave it there. This thread and Thor are far from the only people saying he was gay. Freddie seemed to be under the impression he was gay as well."

No, no, no, no, this is not a trolling attempt! Thank you for your correction. I was referring mostly to Brian's comments about girls in the early days and of course the film that in my opinion very clearly shows him as a bisexual man (at least if the viewer does not know anything about Freddie from before). I do own a copy of the Untold Story, yes. What I find contradicting is what Thor, who very obviously was a real friend, is telling us and what random (gay) guys in various documentaries are telling us. Like I posted earlier, there is a huge difference between what is written in this thread and what is said in many documentaries.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee, I just want to thank you for doing this. I'm the new gal on the block here and I've really enjoyed going through the thread. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to ask a question!

Blackvy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 269 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Sweetandtenderhooligan!, Thor and Lee are very kind people, always willing to answer our questions :)
(I'll also need to work up the courage to ask a question, but for the moment, I'm glad to read other people's questions)
Cheers!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1713 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha ha, I will be able to answer questions today.

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 22:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK- I'll dig in!

It seems as though, even before the release of the movie, that there is a growing fanbase of younger fans, mostly teenaged girls. They seem to be totally accepting of Freddie's sexuality and just all around love him. What would he think about this?

My other question is quite silly, but did he like fashion when it came to being offstage/in his private life? Was it something that interested him?

Thanks again, Thor and Lee. Freddie was lucky to have such loving and kind friends.

-Nicole

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 22:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also want to add that these teenaged girls I've spoken to (one is a friend's child- I'm a tad too young to have one that age myself) are very knowledgeable about the music and live shows. It isn't simply based on his image or looks.

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, I saw a picture of you and Joe Scardilli in the studio with Freddie and crew in one of Peter’s books, what was that like? Did you get to give any input or was it just sit and watch?

Thor and Lee, was Freddie a hugger? Someone posted a question to Ask Phoebe wondering what Freddie smelled like, is there anything you ever smell that just hits you over the head with a memory of him?

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 522 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee…Wow, you must have had a doozy of a headache afterwards. I’m so glad you are okay and that you had a top notch private duty nurse looking after you!

You guys have such an amazing friendship. I imagine that is why Freddie was drawn into your group and why I am looking forward to your book.

I know that Peter (Phoebe) knows about the book…are you aware if Brian, Roger, or Freddie’s sister, Kashmira, are aware of the book as well? I bet Kashmira would be especially interested in learning more about her brother during that happy time of his life.

Sweetandtenderhooligan....Welcome… It took me a while to muster up the courage to ask my first question as well.

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome back, KathLEEN. I'm sorry to hear about your fall. Had I known, I would've sent a fruit basket...or maybe a fruit hat ;) Hope aside from that you two had a great holiday, boys.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Anniebee,
Even though I have a masters degree in music, I would NEVER have critiqued Freddie’s music. Joe, for some reason, often did, and he always said the same thing.
We really just watched and learned, until one time I was flat out exhausted and he told me to go sleep in the car. Not sure what the chauffeur thought.
I was SOOO tired I needed to close my eyes. Next thing I know, Freddie was waking me up and invited me into a bar/restaurant next store to the studio. He had me tell Roger a joke..........kind of an elaborate one.........which I DID and Roger and Freddie cracked up. It was very funny to come out of a sound sleep, and start telling jokes. HA! Fun, fun, fun.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 522 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

Okay you have me curious now...what was the one critique that Joe always had of Freddie's music? Did Freddie ask for Joe's input or did Joe just volunteer his thoughts? What was Freddie's reaction?

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 539 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee,

I hope you manage a full and speedy recovery. Falls aren't fun at all, especially onto nasty hard stuff like tarmac! Ouch! Your poor knees l

Get well soon. Glad you had a good and well qualified friend to take care of you.

Best Wishes and Kind Regards to you.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1848 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just did some major catching up on this thread since it had been weeks since I read it. I too am looking forward to this book to be published and backed it early in the process.

Thor, also appreciated your comments about the movie. Once you accept it's not a documentary you can really enjoy it as a celebration of Queen and their legacy. The historic inaccuracies made me cringe but once I stopped nitpicking I enjoyed it immensely.

I didn't like seeing Garden Lodge empty and Freddie alone by himself. I believe the house was rarely, if ever, empty. Also, I felt the movie could have avoided the gay-shaming criticism by having a character like Phoebe or some dear friend by his side in his "decadent" times. As it stands now, it's all about "villanous" gay man Paul Prenter talking Freddie down the path of destruction and everybody else is straight and happily married with kids.

If I dare ask, what was your opinion on Paul Prenter? Did he ever hang out with you and the NY gang?
In case you did meet him, what do you think of his portrayal in the Bohemian Rhapsody movie?

Thanks!

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol Lee, that sounds like a great experience, both being in the studio and making Freddie laugh lol. Did Joe ask for more cowbell? haha

I love reading these books that Freddie's closest "family" have written and I can't wait to get my copy of yours. This line in Peter's book is sweet: "I have never seen any repetition of the intimacy of his relationship with Thor and Lee. To Freddie, these were two very special people..."

I agree!