Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol Lee, that sounds like a great experience, both being in the studio and making Freddie laugh lol. Did Joe ask for more cowbell? haha

I love reading these books that Freddie's closest "family" have written and I can't wait to get my copy of yours. This line in Peter's book is sweet: "I have never seen any repetition of the intimacy of his relationship with Thor and Lee. To Freddie, these were two very special people..."

I agree!

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not sure if Freddie necessarily asked Joe for his opinion, but Joe offered it at least twice as I recall. He said, gesturing, something about keeping the beat moving forward. Never quite understood what he meant, but on the two occasions Freddie’s response was hhhmmm. Whatever that meant. LOL
Freddie’s quiet time was his down time. He’
loved to laugh, and I remembering him always hugging us hello and goodbye when we were away from the public. I don’t mean ANYTHING by that other than his public persona at times, was on the quiet side. Except of course when he was on stage.
Some questions have been very interesting. A reminder here...we/I never kept a diary of our time together, other than the when it was a special occasion or fun moment and I vdif that with my slides. That being said I didn’t live with the camera to my face on every fun occasion. LOTS of memories about bar fun and the like were with no camera. A camera would have been out of the ordinary in that kind of get get together but all those times are etched in my memory.
I just remembered that I haven’t given enough proper “thank yous” for the kind words from many regarding my Olympic moment DIVE into the ground. How sweet of everyone. I still look kinda scary and can’t go back to work yet. Enjoying some R &R.
And getting to catch up here. Still no photos I care to share. HA!

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Duh. So much for spell check
Sorry. You get the drift, though.

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 21:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Duh. So much for spell check
Sorry. You get the drift, though.

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...and tgere’s That pesky post reply button. Tricky on the iPhone.

THere’s

THere’s

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was a joke

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha Lee you might want to quit while you’re behind lol.

Got any funny stories you can share with us? I would use a laugh.

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 22:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*could. I think iPhone does it on purpose

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a couple...but I fear it’s a repeat.
Will that work?

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fine by me :)

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok. Cause you asked...I will repeat this story cause it’s my favorite, and endeared mebto this special man, even though it’s totally a joke. Sorry Thor. A repeat is ok, yes?
Freddie and Bill Reid (New Jersey boy friend) were at it again. As always the evening started off well, probably with drinks at Freddie’s. Half way through the evening Bill started being Bill. He stomped out or Freddie asked him to leave. Either way, Freddie turned to us, without even having to think and said. “I’m going to buy New Jersey, and burn it down...
except for Kathleen’s mother”.
We roared, and I hugged him. I guess he did hug when we were out.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for confirming he was a hugger, Kathleen! I hope you're well!

Bill sounded like a pain in the ass.

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG Lee, haha, that is both hilarious and adorable. Thanks for the cheer up!

Blackvy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 258 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that story Lee!, thank you so much for sharing :), I never like Bill Reid, so that is one of my favourite stories!
I think i read somewhere (I guess it was Phoebe who told the story) that one time you went all together to the beach, (I'm not sure if Freddie hired a limo for that occasion), and Phoebe got very sunburned!. Do you remember that?
Also, I know there's already a question to Thor about Paul Prenter, but since you are here, I would like to know your opinion on Prenter, and if he was always hanging out with you and the gang.

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 18, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Lee,
I hope you feel better soon!! I am so sorry to hear about your fall!

I love your stories, thank you so much for sharing them with us! In fact, I was watching the movie (and enjoying it) but at the same time kept in mind that image of real Freddie that I could see from all these stories you guys have told us. I think these stories helped me to distinguish fact from fiction much better.

Having said that, I wanted to ask a question too... Did Freddie ever talk to you guys about ballet, was he still interested in this topic when you met? Also, have you ever heard opera records playing in his house?
Thanks a lot!

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 18, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, everyone. I am new here, although I feel as if I know you all since I have spent the last several days reading every page of this thread and the first one with Thor from last year. Thank you Lee and Thor for sharing your memories and stories with us. What a fun time that must have been! I am looking forward to buying your book once it is published.

Like many of you, I grew up with Queen in the 70's and 80's. Seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody" renewed my interest in Freddie and the band.

Thor, I appreciate your review of the movie. I am disappointed that they failed to show Freddie's happy, fun-loving side and the camaraderie he shared with his gay friends. I was also wondering why they depicted him as being so possessive of Mary. It is good to hear that he was, in fact, supportive of her finding a boyfriend and having a baby.

I was reading the comments under a YouTube video a few days ago, and I saw one by a guy who claimed to have toured with Queen during their News of the World Tour in 1977-78. It wasn't clear if he was a roadie or a member of the opening act. He said that after one of the shows, he went out drinking with Freddie. Freddie said to him, "You're looking at the loneliest millionaire in the world. If it weren't for Mary, I don't know how I'd cope." I find that curious considering he was with David Minns at that time. Wouldn't he have called David if he was feeling lonely on the road? Or was Mary just better at saying the right things to cheer him up?

I had a "Freddie" of my own in my late teens and early twenties, so I identify with Mary to some extent. That's a story for another day, though.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Blackvy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 258 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 18, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome DCQueenLuvr! :)

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 18, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that Freddie was the kind of guy who could easily give hugs to his friends. It’s just one of those small details that I find rather heartwarming and enjoy hearing about. (And yes…I realize I sound rather sappy.)

One of my favorite parts of Live Aid….Freddie finishes “Hammer to Fall” and walks over to the side of the stage and gives a quick hug to the guy who worked REALLY hard to prevent the cords from getting tangled. Such an endearing moment!!!