Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

queenbuzz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 18, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Sweettenderhooligan!

Just a side question since you lived in Northern NJ...Did you ever go to Action Park before it closed? LOL If you know what I am talking about.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 18, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenbuzz:

I actually live in LA, but the New Jersey bit was a reference to another poster who used to live there.

Cheers!

Posted: 03 Dec 18, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hah, thank you, Thor! I'll never be as funny as Freddie, I'm afraid :)

Petalouda8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 00:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello all! Another long-time lurker checking in. My name's anna (the screen name means Butterfly in Greek :)), I'm born & raised in Queens, NY, but I've been living in New Orleans for the last 12 years. Looooong time fan of Queen (especially Freddie). I remember watching Queen at LiveAid when I was 12 years old & being blown away. Up until that point, I was only familiar with what was played on the radio. Needless to say, my little 12 year old self went out & bought a Queen album (Night at the Opera!) as soon as I could after LiveAid, and have been a passionate fan ever since. I was 18 when Freddie died and truly grieved his passing. I don't think I've ever - before or since - felt the loss of a public figure they way I did with Freddie. Such a beautiful soul that was taken too soon.

I want to thank Thor & Lee for all the time they put in to answering questions. You two are so very sweet & generous & it's appreciated more than words can say. So looking forward to your book!

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1841 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey guys, I'm an occasional poster but mostly a lurker in this very insightful thread.
I also joined the GoFundMe campaign a while back and I'm looking forward to reading the book.

I made a question a couple of days ago, which got buried.
I wondered whether you guys had met Paul Prenter and what was your impression about him.
He's been portrayed in a negative light by Brian and Roger in interviews and he's the obvious villain of the movie.
Was there another side to him that we're not shown?

I also made a comment about the movie equating Freddie's coming to terms with his sexuality with embracing a destructive lifestyle and being lonely. We know Garden Lodge was rarely empty and that he kept genuine, positive friendships with plenty of people of all sexual orientations and lifestyles.

I kinda wished they had introduced a "token" "good gay" character like Peter Freestone to balance that out so that it's not just: Queen = good/family values; all things gay = bad/meaningless/destructive.

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome everyone. I’m thrilled the idea was taken seriously.
Wiley...I spoke about Paul in my 12/01 post. Not a lot to say about Paul, I think.
Thor? He was kinda quiet, mostly, and let everyone “take stage”, as they say.
The fact that they made such a big thing about Paul, when there were dear people who cared for Freddie,
and were with him until the end, perplexing to me. Interesting artistic choice.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's great seeing so many people reply.

Lee, I think there may be even more who lurk who haven't created accounts with QZ, so they are unable to post. I had no intention of ever doing any more than reading the occasional QZ thread until you and Thor appeared. I followed you guys for a long time before I worked up the nerve to jump in and even then I never planned on actively posting. It's turned out to be so much fun! Sources of new material are limited now, so the fresh perspective you two have provided is a delight. You are both master story tellers with fun senses of humor and I'm glad you are willing to share.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 03:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’m glad a lot of you decided to reply, it’s great meeting new people! Welcome! I’m one of those that has no trouble posting online but get me in a crowd and social awkwardness prevails.

@Petalouda8, my name is Anna also :) I’m in
Virginia, but I think New Orleans is one of the favorite cities I’ve ever visited!

Lee and Thor, as always thank you for being you and sharing your stories!

I hope more “lurkers” say hi!

Blackvy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 258 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess I already shared this, but here I go again :) I've been a member of this website for many years and a queen fans for many more, but I've recently decided to participate more, especially on this thread which I found very interesting, full of amazing stories of Freddie and his great friends Thor and Lee :). As some of you have said where you are from, I was just wondering if by any chance.. Is anybody from Argentina here? I'm from Buenos Aires, by the way. :)

Blackvy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 258 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, it was Queen fan*

SweetestSpring user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

I know you have probably answered this already, so I’m sorry if I am asking you to answer it again!

I’d love to know your opinion on Mary Austin, there are a lot of people who have really strong opinions on her, and say some really awful things about her. From all accounts, Freddie seemed to love her very much, and I’m sure he would be horrified to hear of how she has been treated since his death.
Being personally in a similar situation, my ex came out as bisexual whilst we were in a long term relationship, I’ve always really admired Mary for supporting Freddie, when he came out to her, and never leaving him. I myself, was very hurt, and couldn’t do the same.
What was their relationship like? They seemed very close, did you get to spend much time with her, or with both Freddie and her?
Thank You in advance.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor and Lee,

Many thanks for your warm re-welcome :-)

Do you still feel in touch with Peter Freestone ? I know he was very find of all of Freddie's "New York daughters" and considered you all some of the few genuine, selfless friends of Freddie, and seems to have had a good time with you, too.

Peter says he didn't feel Freddie treated him as a servant, from your observations would you consider Freddie treated rather as a friend who was also a willing Go-For? Though Freddie sometimes played up to the imperialist image , he seemed to do so with a twinkle in his eye, which suggested it was mostly in jest.

Kindest Regards to everyone on this Queen Zone thread. It's a fun thread!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, I have some catching up to do. Thank you all for your kind messages. I will go from stevendabudgie's message to current ones as of 12/4/18.

Lieber stevendabudgie,

Vielen Dank für Ihre jüngsten Kommentare.
(Thank you for your recent comments)

Lee und ich wünschen Ihnen ein frohes Weihnachtsfest und ein gutes neues Jahr.
(Lee and I would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year)

I hope my German is close to correct.

thundergod

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello S&T Hooligan,

West Hollywood...hummm....let me think...are there any gay bars in West Hollywood?
Just kidding!
In that 4 day trip to Hollywood, I would say we went to the clubs in West Hollywood only about 4 times...lol... Twice with Freddie.
During the West Coast tour of 1982, we returned to a few of these places.
Freddie liked LA, but I know, he prefered the concentrated cosmopolitan feel of New York at that time.

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha, thanks, Thor! I'm really enjoying the time you're spending here. Glad to speak to a nurse, as my mother is an RN and just got her BSN at the age of 59. I'm so proud.

thundergod

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear All,
We got an unfortunate denial from the publishing lady that we thought would be our best hope.
After 5 months of an excruciating wait, she wished us luck but stated she, "did not have a "Vision"
to take on our book." As some might remember, another one after a long wait, "did not have a
"Passion" for our book. All the advice on the internet says to stick with it and have a tough skin
with regards to rejections.
I will have to go back to the drawing-board and put more time and effort into finding others.
Lee and I still have 5 months left before our decision is to be made whether to try self-publishing
or go the E-book route. I'd really like to never give up, but I think all the donors to GoFundMe
need to see progress or perhaps a refund...We really don't want to give up our labor of love.
Perhaps, I can send an honest message to any of the 50+ donors who would like to get a refund
and then continue with those who want to see this project to it's end. Never thought it would be
so hard.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Thor,

You have my donation and I'd like to see this through to the end! I know it's hard now but when someone does take the project on and brings it to fruition, it will be well worth it!

Question for you, when y'all would hang out with Freddie was it expected that you'd be going out to have fun or did you ever do a guys night in?

Hang in there!

thundergod

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Anniebee,
That idea is well appreciated.
I have about six people to either thank, welcome or send a message to (basically, I have not
yet answered people on page 80...and that includes YOU my friend.
I will answer your question ASAP. I have a lot of publishing searching to do!

Again, thanks for your support.
Thor and Lee

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 18, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor

As one of the donors I am more than happy to wait it out for a publisher who "wises up"! If after the phenomenal success of the Bohemian Rhapsody film hasn't enlightened them as to the everlasting appeal and fascination people have for Freddie Mercury, then they need psychiatric evaluation! Honestly !

If the idiots in the publishing world don't step up I really hope you DO self-publish via Amazon or whoever,I really want to see this book. Whichever method it end up being I am happy for you to use my donation to fund it's publication.

Whatever new information I can garner about Freddie is gold dust to me! I hoard all new info like a little squirrel with its supply of winter nuts. :-)

Good Luck and stay hopeful.

Kind Regards to you and Lee

Nicola

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor and Lee,

I’m sure you have both learned a lot about the publishing world over the past several months. You have a manuscript and you now understand the submission process and all that entails…you are not starting from scratch. Those valuable lessons will help you as you press forward.

Don’t worry about the donation. Maybe the publisher “did not have a vision” but your Queen Zone friends certainly do! Always remember that.