Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Shvili user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Create a traveling exhibition gallery show. You know.... similar to how some museums do.
You would go around the world narrating the pics. Country to Country City to City.
You like to ravel right?

Nothing really matters in the end.
DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetestSpring,

I, too, found myself in the same situation and don't know how Mary transitioned from girlfriend to just a "good friend" so gracefully. I'm guessing it's because she wasn't blindsided and suspected Freddie was gay long before she confronted him. She probably did her grieving before they broke up. I certainly hope she didn't carry a torch for him all those years. That would've been tragic.

My "Freddie" and I have been friends for 40 years now, but there was a period of 6 six years when we didn't communicate at all, because I needed that time to move on. We now live on opposite coasts (of the US), so don't see each other often, but we still chat on the phone and email. When we do get together (most recently 18 months ago after not seeing each other for 17 years), it's very comfortable - like slipping into an old pair of shoes.

freddies bell end user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 95 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’m Ritchie from DC, USA and I’m happy our Capital One Arena in Chinatown was chosen as a summer tour stop for the Queen + Adam Lambert 2019 tour. When I first saw Adam on the American Idol sing Born to be Wild and hit that amazing high note at the end, I wrote to Brian about this amazing singer who could handle standing in for Mr. Mercury. The range of enthusiasm was all there. It’s likely that I wasn’t the only one who contacted him. I first heard Queen in 1982 when I was 8 years old and it was a John Deacon song that was played as an entrance theme for a professional wrestler. I ordered the Greatest Hits from Columbia House Record Club soon after but only for Another one bites the dust. I sat on this amazing cassette for many years without ever listening to the other songs. In 1990 I went to Turkey where they had cassette tapes for $1. I randomly picked up A NIGHT AT THE OPERA because I liked the sound of operatic metal voices such as Helloween or Iron Maiden, Queensryche. I put the tape on before I went to asleep and woke up slightly dreaming of some amazing piece of music which turned out to be Bohemian Rhapsody. I was in Cambridge UK 3 days after Freddie left us and Queen was being played virtually everywhere. I was 17 on Nov.24 and heard the news on CNN. Hollywood Records eventually released the whole catalog and I bought everyone of the reissues. Mr.Bad Guy was out of print and I really had to search to find that. Losing him was the same as losing a favorite family member. I felt sorrow in the summer of 1992 and the heaviest tears of sorrow poured out which were too strong to ever hold back. I was alone and nobody in my world could ever understand. I’m glad I have Queenzone and reading some of your histories brought chills to my body and made the hair stand up on my arms/legs. I myself had never had a public figure I mourned for and there’s been nobody ever since. What was once ours now belongs to the world. If there are any Queenzone members around the DC or suburbs who wish to be in contact, don’t be shy.

SweetestSpring user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetestSpring,

I, too, found myself in the same situation and don't know how Mary transitioned from girlfriend to just a "good friend" so gracefully. I'm guessing it's because she wasn't blindsided and suspected Freddie was gay long before she confronted him. She probably did her grieving before they broke up. I certainly hope she didn't carry a torch for him all those years. That would've been tragic.

My "Freddie" and I have been friends for 40 years now, but there was a period of 6 six years when we didn't communicate at all, because I needed that time to move on. We now live on opposite coasts (of the US), so don't see each other often, but we still chat on the phone and email. When we do get together (most recently 18 months ago after not seeing each other for 17 years), it's very comfortable - like slipping into an old pair of shoes.

DCQueenLuvr,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately for me and my ex, there was far too much heartbreak and hurt feelings for us to remain in each other’s lives. I was completely blindsided, which may sound strange, but I really never expected OR suspected at all. In hindsight, it made me feel not only incredibly hurt, but really stupid too.

This is why I admire people such as yourself, and Mary. They were together 6 years. That’s a long time to spend with another person, and though she suspected, I have no doubt that she, at one point thought that she’d spend the rest of her life with him. That’s a hard idea to let go of, but she did it with grace, and seemingly transitioned smoothly into the best friend role. She must have loved him a hell of a lot.

I hope too, that she didn’t pine for him. That would indeed, be very sad. They had something very special though, a love and loyalty to each other, that lasted the rest of his life.

Thank you again, for your very thoughtful response.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NO VISION ?????
NO PASSION?????
WTF?????
What Planet are these publishers living on??????
The soundtrack for Bohemian Rhapsody is in top ten, the internet is on FIRE with people Hungry for Any info on Freddie and Queen.......The Movie is a Huge Hit, Queen + AL announced US tour.....
These publishers are out of their minds!!!!
Keep Pushing On!!!
Freddie would want you to!!!!!!!!!!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How silly of those publishers! Especially with the movie making such big waves you'd think they'd want to capitalize on that. Don't give up hope!

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greetings.
I did check in yesterday, but didn’t have a chance to contribute.
I went to see a show in L.A. that a friend of mine is touring in. We sang together in a club in the late 70’s, and we went crazy reminiscing,
as you can imagine. The show is Come From Away. It was a HUGE hit on Broadway and narrowly missed being voted as a Tony winner for
best musical. I don’t really know where any of our contributors are from in the U.S. but it’s touring all over for the next year. I’m going on about the show,
as it was in one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. The message is beyond heartwarming, and I became very emotional at the end and had to compose myself before you going back stage to see my friend. I became a little emotional again being on the set with the cast who were warm and generous. I’ll stop talking about this now, but it was SO special an experience, and SO what we need right now I had to talk about it. RUN do not walk to see it. It has a 911 theme that will take your breath away. Ok...that’s that.
LOVE the lurkers chiming in. You add class to the title LOL.
I’ve been seeing a lot of talk about Mary, and I just wanted to say a couple of things. There are many speculations as to the relationship that the two of them had, and yes, I think the movie dropped the ball a little bit. Mary was around a lot on our last visit, and was sweet and kind and thoughtful, and you could tell that Freddie liked her being around. We hardly became friends in such a short time, but she was part of the photo moment before we left on the last day, along with her infant son, Richard. She actually had a Queen duffel bag that I commented on and she emptied it and gave it to me.
I’m repeating myself here, but for those inquiring about Paul, he WAS a major presence in the early 80’s, was very nice to us, and having not seen a dark side of him, I was taken aback by how it all turned out concerning him.
I’m back to work tomorrow with a “fighter’s scar” over my right eye. As you know, Thor was my nurse that first day, and was very kind...who hates free Chinese food?
Til tomorrow.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, you are precious :) I looked up the tour dates for Come From Away and unfortunately the closest it is going to get to me is 5 hours away. I did read the true story behind it and I can say that I'm sure it would bring back memories of that day and make me cry like a baby. I don't know about you, but that day stands in my mind like it was yesterday. It's nice that they are able to bring the story alive, especially since I and many others have probably never heard it.

Have fun back at work, if people ask just say "you should see the other guy." lol <3

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 18, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, I hope you had fun out in LA! I live here as well and there's always something to do.

I enjoyed the Mary story, that was a nice gesture.

I do have a question: how do you feel about this new onslaught of fans from the movie insisting Freddie dated women his whole life?

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 18, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I"ve had tickets for my local city's Broadway Series for over 20 years. I'll bet Come From Away will be on the schedule for next year, and sadly, for the first time I'm considering dropping the series. We get some great shows but I've also seen Fiddler on The Roof at least three times. While I love that show, at this point I want to see things that are new to me. I keep the tickets this season because we are finally getting Hamilton, and also Dear Evan Hansen. Hard decision...……….I love Broadway music.

Lee, will the picture you took on the last day that included Mary be included in the book?

Posted: 06 Dec 18, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydyd5 how awesome you get to see all of these wonderful performances! Too bad about next year but it’s understandable. I remember seeing a local rendition of Fiddler on the Roof when I was 9 years old and my uncle was part of the cast. It was fun but not really something my 9 year old self understood lol. I think Hamilton is coming here next year and I’d love to see it. My girls were all about Hamilton last year but now they’re over it lol. Too bad I might drag them there anyway haha

Posted: 07 Dec 18, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Sweet and Tender. I’m actually a little confused about this onslaught of people insisting Freddie always dated woman. There are no facts to substantiate that, and there are many facts, some of which Thor and I are privy to, that supports the opposite. Not sure when there will be a turn around for those people who think that.

Posted: 07 Dec 18, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5...HELLO
Where are you located? I’ll ask my friend in the show if it will be near you.
RE: Mary’s photo...I don’t Know yet. I’m not sure if I need her permission or not. I don’t want to step on any toes in that department.
We’re gonna let the publisher help us with those details.
RE: Dear Evan Hansen. That’s another “OMG”. I had second row seats last year when I was in New York. That DID win Best Musical. The actor in the lead has work to do like you seldom see. He also won best actor in a musical.

SweetestSpring user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 18, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Lee,

All your stories are so fascinating and wonderful, thank you for sharing them. I sincerely hope that you get the book published.. I am looking forward to it!
Thank you for your story about Mary, by your account, she seems like a lovely woman. How nice of her to give you her bag!

Rainbow61 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 527 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 18, 23:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Lee,

Loved the story of your interaction with Mary. That she meant so much to Freddie and had his trust and devotion for so long says a lot about her. Do you still have the Queen duffel bag?

Posted: 07 Dec 18, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, you were a waiter when you met Freddie, right? Did he ever come and eat at your restaurant while you were working? Also I don’t know if you’ve told this before but how did you and Thor meet?

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 18, 01:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, thank you so much for responding to my question about opera and ballet! Loved the screaming and cheering bit! Hope you're feeling better now, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thor, I am so sorry to hear about this publisher - but please don't give up, keep looking! With the success of the movie, you should find your ideal publisher eventually! Personally, I support your project with all my heart - and please count on me in terms of my modest donation. No refund needed, we will see your book published and rocking the book market, I am sure.

MisterCosmicc user not visiting Queenzone.com
MisterCosmicc
Bohemian: 935 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 18, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thundergod wrote:

Dear All,
We got an unfortunate denial from the publishing lady that we thought would be our best hope.
After 5 months of an excruciating wait, she wished us luck but stated she, "did not have a "Vision"
to take on our book." As some might remember, another one after a long wait, "did not have a
"Passion" for our book. All the advice on the internet says to stick with it and have a tough skin
with regards to rejections.
I will have to go back to the drawing-board and put more time and effort into finding others.
Lee and I still have 5 months left before our decision is to be made whether to try self-publishing
or go the E-book route. I'd really like to never give up, but I think all the donors to GoFundMe
need to see progress or perhaps a refund...We really don't want to give up our labor of love.
Perhaps, I can send an honest message to any of the 50+ donors who would like to get a refund
and then continue with those who want to see this project to it's end. Never thought it would be
so hard.

I've published a book before. There's publishers who will publish anything. Check with hundreds of them. But be careful, some will eat your shorts. Be as fully detailed about who you are, show them photos, etc... maybe even show them this thread so they can see the kind of interest in Freddie with diehard Queen fans.

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 18, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also... I have joined the QZ about a year ago, came across Thor's (previous) thread, and spent almost the entire night reading it. I am also mostly one of the lurkers although sometimes I find courage to ask questions :)
I live in Canada (great lakes region), originally from Russia, loved Queen since my teen years but fell seriously in love with them about a year ago.
Thanks guys for a great conversation, I love peeking into this thread from time to time.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 18, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, I'm in the Cincinnati area. It would be lovely to know from your friend if Come From Away will get here in the near future. We tend to get good shows, but maybe a year behind some of the larger cities. We do get a lot of revivals and some shows that I've seen many, many times. Having said that I'd happily sit through Les Mis, Wicked, and others again and again. This year they are bringing back Fiddler and Miss Saigon. Having held my tickets so long, it's natural that I've seen some shows more than once, but there is so much out there it can get irritating to wait a long time for a show. I watch the Tonys every year, knowing we will wait two years before the top shows get here. This is the first year for Hamilton here and I think we are long overdue. We have excellent seats and I'm really torn about renewing because if I give the tickets up I'll never get a location like we have again. When I got divorced my ex wanted to split the tickets with me, each of us getting half the shows. Uh, I don't think so. I told him I had custody of the tickets. Oddly enough he didn't fight me on that issue. I've always loved Broadway musicals, and if they throw in a little tap dancing I'm even happier.