Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blenkolove, I was hoping for new material too, and we may yet get some new things. I did just read an article that Rudi Dolezol is writing a book that will be out in the spring. I always enjoy seeing him in all of the "making of" videos, and of course, he and his partner did several Queen documentaries. He should have a new perspective on Freddie and the band. Thor and Lee's book is another new source to anticipate with eagerness.

BTW, I'm no expert, just an obsessed fan.

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's the link to the article about Rudi.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2018/12/14/world-famous-music-filmmaker-remembers-friend-freddie-mercury/?fbclid=IwAR32aZW9_1ZHOR5F6gGcyMbdWppwAJRtDwxrYpkBEuLknnD7fiMGWTrSc0w

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 03:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for reply Katydyd!
I've been an obsessed fan since I first got a glimpse of Mr Mercury!! I look forward to Any and All new material regarding Freddie!! I know Thor and Lee's book will find it's way to us!! And now Rudi's.....just made my night!!
Thanks again for the info......i'll be watching Frddie giggle as he proclaims his love for the word Beelzabub for like a hundred more times on Y T!!!!!!

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy New Year, everyone.

I just bought my tickets to the 2019 Queen tour. Is anyone else going?

Also, I just found this interview of Peter Freestone from last June. Like Thor, he expresses regret that the movie "Bohemian Rhapsody" doesn't show Freddie's fun-loving side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Gfk_1hmkM

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi DCQueenLuvr...

I bought my tickets the day they went on sale!

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have my tickets!! Like Rainbow, I got them the day they went on sale. I don't know what I was doing back in the day, but I missed multiple chances to see Queen live. I figure this is my only chance to see Brian and Roger and hear the music live. I'm excited!

love2spin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Floor Seats MSG 08/06/19. Can't wait!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Honestly, there's a lack of Freddie interviews on Youtube in general.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’d like to see more Freddie interviews on YouTube too, I love watching his mannerisms and hearing him mess around with the interviewer.

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 19, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I got my tickets during the pre-sale day, so excited for the concert.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 19, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@DCQUEENLUVR

Yeah, from what we've heard from friends Freddie was hilarious and fun loving. I wish we had that in that film.

I also wish they had portrayed Peter and Joe. They were huge parts of his life for a long time.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 19, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just purchased my tickets for the show this summer in Houston. Can not wait!

Posted: 03 Jan 19, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love watching Freddie interviews. His speaking voice was lovely. It is also very interesting to hear how his voice changed from the early interviews to the latter ones. I'm pretty sure I read on ask Phoebe that Freddie first started smoking because he didn't like the way his hands flew all over the place when he talked, so he thought holding a cigarette would give him something to do with his hands while he talked, but Freddie then liked the edge smoking gave his voice during the '80s. When comparing interviews from the '70s to the ones in the '80s his speaking voice is also a bit deeper in the '80s, possibly due to the cigs as well as aging.

Posted: 03 Jan 19, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddienotfreddy....I also love Freddie's speaking voice and especially the way he laughs. I know the link for this short clip has been posted before, so for many it will not be new...but it is completely delightful!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hZEYs0Z8ow

I am also very excited about the concert...will be seeing it at the Xfinity Center near Boston.

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 19, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow....THAT WAS PRICELESS!! Thanks for the morning lift!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 03 Jan 19, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Rainbow. Freddie's laugh is contagious. When you can find a clip or video that shares the laugh, it is a delight. I like "the making of One Vision" because there is so much laughter in that one. He must have been a lot of fun.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Queenzone group - I am so happy to find you! I have read through both threads. Wow what a ride. I found this when I saw a review online about the movie and it said exactly what I felt about not capturing the energy, joy, humor, and sharp wit of Freddie. Turns out that review was from Thor, which led me here.

I am so excited for Thor and Lee's book. Can I still make a donation to the GoFundMe page? Could Phoebe be a help with finding a publisher since he has written 2 books?

I am loving the stories and anecdotes. I feel like I have found buried treasure. This could be Heaven....

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome NotQuiteAShilling!

I am glad you have found this forum. It's great that new people like you are making your way to this group because of the enthusiasm you all bring!

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61,
That was a very cute clip...I actually had not heard that one before. Absolutely love is posh English accent with just a little hint of an Indian accent as well. His laugh is great...such a full laugh.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I am back home and have finally recovered from EST.
Listen all, I know that I promised answers to the several pre-Christmas questions that I left behind. Would you all please allow me to work heavily this month on the publishing pursuit? You all have been fantastic at welcoming the new-comers. Please keep that up for me and Lee. I want to double-down on attracting a publisher, which takes a lot of work and time. Please re-ask any questions I did not get to some time in February. Thank you for your understanding
NOW...let's get this book published!

Our Love to all on QZ,- those here for a long time as well as all of the newly participating fans.

With much care and friendliness,
Thor (and on behalf of Lee).