Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddienotFreddy, have you seen the video of the making of I'm Going Slightly Mad? I just found one that contains a bit more of Freddie's reaction to the penguin poop. It's cute, and the clip also includes the part where he tells them to clean the couch as only Freddie could.

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I tried to find the link for the I'm Going Slightly Mad, but the only one I have is from FB so I'm not sure everyone can access it.

https://www.facebook.com/QueenAndMercury/videos/855523791284769/

There are many videos that show the "making of", but the one I've attached has Freddie's reaction to cleaning the seat.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to the thread NotQuiteAShilling! I know the feeling of reading through the two threads, lots of ups and downs but there are so many nice people here that share a love and understanding of Freddie that not many others do.

Rainbow, I love that clip of audio and love hearing Freddie's laugh, its such a great laugh! I first heard the audio on Instagram but I wonder if there is more audio like that out there.

Thor, you know we're here to support you so whatever it takes or however long it takes, we've got you!

:)

Born to love you user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Thor, Lee and everyone happy new year. This is my first post on this forum despite reading every page on this thread. I think it is great how two of Freddie’s friends contribute on here and they seem like good guys.

I never had the chance to see Queen in concert, I was around 15 at the time of the Wembley shows but wasn’t the huge fan back then that I was to become later. Just a quick story, My dad doesn’t know much about modern music he prefers stuff from the 50s,knowing how much I like Freddie he mentioned about 10 years ago that one of his drinking pals in London was a driver for Mr Mercury. Anyway I met him in the pub one night and he said that he was a chauffeur for other celebrities too but Freddie was a lovely guy and a big loss, i have to be honest I wasn’t sure if I believed him but others said that he did indeed drive for him sometimes. He called his daughters who brought down a photo album of themselves with Freddie when they were babies, I was very impressed! Good luck with the book guys I hope a publisher is sensible enough to give you a deal, Queen are huge again right now, surely they will see sense, all the best Gary

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for the warm welcome guys!

I have also heard that audio Rainbow and it is pure joy isn't it? I hope that there is more out there yet to be discovered.

Katydyd5 the penguin poop and the behind the scenes footage of Freddie and his couch cleaning demands - too funny!

What a great story Born to Love You! Thank you for sharing!

Thor and Lee - thank you for allowing us to be "flies on the wall" for your adventures with Freddie in the early 80's. Such a gift!

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 I found the GoFundMe and donated

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Born to love you! I love hearing stories about meeting people who have met Freddie at some point, that's cool that you got to see the photos! I'm similar to you, I knew of Queen back in the day but they weren't what I listened to, I have since remedied that!

Blackvy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 269 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome NotQuiteAShilling and Born to love you! It's nice to see new people on this thread :)
Thor!, I hope you can pursue a publisher, I'm looking forward for the book!

Hugs to you all!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Prenter? Seriously? or is that just your QZ nickname?

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 19, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not the best choice for a username

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 559 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 02:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi "Born to love you"...welcome to Queenzone!

I never saw Queen in concert either. How I would love to go back in time and have that chance again! Thanks for the wonderful story. I always enjoy hearing about those nice interactions people have had with Freddie who seems to be consistently referred to as a "lovely" man.

Anniebee and NotQuiteAShilling... Yes, it would be great if some new, undiscovered video or audio of Freddie came to light. Spontaneous encounters tend to not to be recorded..so they are the most valuable. I especially love the couple of Queen outtakes I have heard with the guys getting a bit huffy with each other....those are rather funny...especially this one with Freddie trying to be the calming presence....(again, nothing new to those who have been here a while)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vayg9bDYxqc

Thor and Lee...glad you feel renewed and are

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 02:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops...I didn't finish my sentence...

Thor and Lee...glad you feel renewed and are still working hard to make this book happen!

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1720 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 02:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow,
I got a great lead that I mentioned in the GoFundMe updates. I will also be sending query letters to many, many others. This will be my job for the New Year until it happens.

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 02:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

That's really encouraging...I know it's a big task, but you guys sound very focused. Your QZ rooting section is still behind you all the way!

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just read your update Thor, and that publisher does sound encouraging. I'm glad you are so focused on your goal. We WILL get that book!!

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow thank you! I have never heard that one before. Roger's not happy at all and Freddy just keeps saying "Take Two"

Another argument here with mainly Brian again and Freddie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQPgWvS3WU

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Katydyd5,

I have seen that clip before. I love that Freddie was still getting such a thrill and surge of creativity with his work while in the last stages of his illness.

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi NotQuiteAShilling,

The was Freddie spits out "puurfect" at Brian,,,it such a British argument..lol

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, Katydy5,

I think one of my favorite "making of" is the one for Radio Ga Ga. It isn't very long (at least not the one I've found), but I love it. For starters,I think Freddie is abosulutely gorgeous in the clip. I actually think the time around The Works album is Freddie at his sexiest. The clip is also funny with Freddie continually flubbling the lyrics during the play back and having to check his notes he has hidden in the flying car. Then he appears to be having trouble reading the notes and has to hold the paper at arm's length. Roger is still also full blonde pretty in it also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5r03qO7PFQ

Posted: 05 Jan 19, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is another of my favorite videos. It has everything! It shows Freddie's absolute disgust with lip syncing while he also looks terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peFz-ttL7Gc