Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jan 19, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But check this out...it says number 8 worldwide

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-2018

thundergod

Posted: 07 Jan 19, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops- but just for 2018...not the record...my bad

thundergod

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I just got permission to introduce you all to the song that our longtime QZ friend, Robby Bloodshed collaborated on with his friend, Ripsnorter (aka Jamey)
as a tribute to Freddie Mercury, with all proceeds going to the Freddie Mercury Phoenix Trust. Wow, such love for Freddie...it's incredible and
wonderful that Freddie is so much coming back to us at this time! Have a listen and please read the commentary from both Jamey and Robby...pretty
impressive.

http://www.mercuryphoenixtrust.com/site/post_The%20Show%20Goes%20On%20(Gone%20But%20Not%20Forgotten)%20by%20Ripsnorter%20(feat:%20Robby%20Bloodshed)_11691

for itunes it is : https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-show-goes-on-single/1447421474

Enjoy, Thor

V2727V user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 00:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone!

I’ve been lurking for a little while now, but with every intention of posting once I finished both threads. Success!

I’ve been a fan of Queen since I stumbled across one of their songs on the radio at age 8 in the mid-90s. I’ve been in love ever since. It continues to break my heart that Freddie Mercury passed away before I knew he existed. However, the fact that Queen’s music and Freddie’s charisma have been able to create new fans (and sustain original fans) decades after he passed speaks volumes!

Thank you all for such an informative and entertaining forum and thread! Extra-special gratitude to Thor and Lee for sharing their personal memories of Freddie.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome V2727V,

I know what you mean. Interspersed with all those wonderful moments I have listening to Freddie, I definitely have times when I look at him and feel such a deep sadness that he left us so young...knowing that he had years of new music left to grace our world.

However, I am excited about this the tidal wave of Freddie and Queen love!!!

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops....last sentence...not "this the"...just "this"

Catus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was so happy when I heard of their victory! To be honest, never really cared about these ceremonies but yesterday I found myself nervously checking the news every 5 minutes ) Hurray, and Queen forever! Congrats to all of us!

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So exciting to watch the Golden Globes and see the wins! I must say that listening to Rami and his words thanking Queen and Freddie made me so thankful to him. He very obviously has a complete reverence for Freddie Mercury and that really comes through. Wow. You can tell what an honor it was for him to play Freddie and what Queen fan wouldn't appreciate that?!

Yes the movie had issues, I am the first to agree. But the fact that it has brought Queen back front and center where they belong, and brought a whole new generation to love them makes me happy. And that all of this was honored by the Golden Globes makes me VERY happy.

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NotQuiteAShilling.

Wonderfully put...I couldn't agree more!

Rami's respect for Freddie and the responsibility he feels to honoring his legacy is very touching to see. You can tell this was more than just an acting role for him.

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I just listened to Robby and Ripsnorter's single. Can definitely hear Queen's influence there. Very cool song.

I recently came upon this interesting interview with Freddy given shortly after A Day at the Opera was released in late '75. He claims that "Love of My Life," which everyone assumes is about Mary, isn't personal at all. This makes sense since he and Mary didn't break up until the following year.

http://pictures.queenzone.com/test/20179302019902702.jpg

I've also just finished reading the updated version (from 2008) of David Evans' and David Minns' book about Freddie. You can read the most interesting bits for free online here by clicking on "Look Inside."

https://www.amazon.com/THIS-WAS-REAL-LIFE-Freddie-ebook/dp/B00VELVBNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546967340&sr=8-1&keywords=David+Minns

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 19, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DCQueenLuvr, I love the Minns/Evans book because there were lots of little tidbits and gems that were new to me. I find Diana Mosely very interesting and imagine she could share some stories! I did see her panel discussion at Montreux and wanted her to go on for so much longer. She gave some good insights into Freddie in the book. I also liked hearing from some lesser known people from the early years who shared their stories. The last section is difficult, but the fact is, it is part of his life. It was lovely to see so many people honor him. He must have been such a force of nature.

I listened to Robby and Ripsnorters single twice last night. Any chance we could see the lyrics? I thought the commentary pieces were so touching. Seeing two young men so influenced by Freddie and Queen says something about the lasting joy of their music. It means so much to so many people.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 19, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Folks

I was watching BBC Breakfast this morning and caught the video they showed of The Queen's Guards band playing Bohemian Rhapsody (presumably in honour of
the double win at the Golden Globes,cans the Battalion nomination) thought It'd share the YouTube link.

Wouldn't our Freddie be proud! As he himself would put it, he'd be grinning from his arsevto his elbow, my dears. ????

I loved it. Makes me proud to be English! ????????

https://youtu.be/lURg3kxso2s

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Jan 19, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regards the ??????'s I forgot emojis don't work here! They were smileys and flags *sigh*

Lee Kathleen Nolan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 19, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow...what a great week for everything Freddie.
I was glued to TV when those tw awards were announced.
Jamey...BRAVO DIVO!
I like the turn the blog has taken since the unsavory
have disappeared. The fact that so many people are sharing wonderful thoughts is exciting, and I’m so thrilled that I have a part in it. I love sharing these stories about Freddie because so many people never got to experience or know anything about this side of him.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Jan 19, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Am I really boring? :-(

I never seen to get any replies or response on my admittedly few posts.

I can't think of any interesting questions that haven't been asked yet and don't want to ask really personal questions about Freddie.

Hope Bo Rhap and Rami do well at the Bafta's and Oscars, too.

Take Care, all.

Kind Regards

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Jan 19, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have you all received your OIQFC Winter 2018 Magazine?

It's a good one.

There's a nice article on how Freddie acquired that Policeman's helmet at the Wembley 1986 concert, plus a contribution from a man who was a student of Brian's when he did a stint as a maths teacher.

And about Freddie's early days in England arriving from Zanzibar, including his citizenship application form,. I learned that it was Jer's sister who the Bulsara"s family stayed with when they first arrived before moving to 22 Gladstone Avenue.

It was an interesting read.

thundergod

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear FreddieDarling,
I certainly apologize if I, personally have missed any of your questions. I am really making a six to seven hour a day effort to find a publisher. It is time-consuming pursuit as almost every individual publisher or publishing company wants tweaking of our query and proposal to fit their requirements. (i.e. "no more than 100 words" here or" no less than 200 words" there. "submit in DocX only" or "submit in PDF only", etc. etc.

Please bear with me during this ramped up phase of making sure our book gets published and ASAP.

thundergod

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CONGRATULATIONS THREAD FOLLOWERS-

Exciting News for all of our QueenZone followers. The other day I discovered the list of the total number of replies to each individual thread.
If you don't know (which I didn't for the whole 19 months I've been on here), the following will get you there.

Click on "Talk" at the top of the screen where it lists Home-Band-Talk-Information-etc.
Then, click on "Forums"
Then, "Queen - GENERAL Discussions"

Well, I looked at the number of replies since I joined QZ on July 17th of 2017.

....and the Queen Zoney awards go to:

# of replies

(1) thundergod * GOLD * 2246
(2) thundergod and "Kathleen" *SILVER* 1743
(3) GoldenSalmon *BRONZE* 556

* HONORABLE MENTIONS*
(4) YourValentine 372
(5) Dysan 300
(6) Sparkle 296

***ALSO...if you come across some of our favorite troll's
names over these years, you will see that most of their attempts at "Hate Threads" are all totally wiped off the site!!! My own original thread went from 147 pages to 113 pages with a great deal of the troll input DELETED. Thank you, Mr. Richard Orchard, (CEO/General Manager of QueenZone.com).

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 02:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddiedarling, could you tell me the magazine you refer to???.....i think I can guess it ends with 'Queen Fan Club' but what's OI part?? How do I get such periodical ?? TY

Thor, and Thor and Kathleen....CONGRATS ON YOUR GOLD AND SILVER AWARD!!! Also.....happy to learn that Trolls are obliterated!!! .....Now Get That Book Published!!!....Puh-leez!!!!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieDarling, you are not boring at all! I've meant to comment on several of your posts, but I just haven't gotten to it. Actually, your comments on the IQFC magazine interested me. Is it an actual print magazine or is it online? I don't belong to that group officially, though I do follow their FB page. I don't remember what the cost to join is, but I think I remember it was kind of steep for me at the time I checked it out. However, both of the articles you mentioned interest me so I might have to investigate again. I did see the video of The Queen's Guards playing Bohemian Rhapsody and thought it was great. Are you on FaceBook? Did you happen so see the Ohio State Band open the football season this fall with a tribute to Queen? If not, I'll find the video and post the link. I'm always delighted when anyone honors Queen and Freddie in any way.

Thor, I'm not at all surprised that you guys have the Gold award for posts. I think it is the atmosphere you've set here. It allows people to feel safe in what can sometimes be a very contentious place. (QZ) It has been so much fun to "meet" other fans from all over and share thoughts. But most of all, the generosity you and Lee have shown in sharing your dear friend has been something I would never have expected to find. I knew who both of you were before you even began your thread, and because of that, I felt both shy and kind of awed. I mean, here you were, THE NY Daughters. How lovely it has been to find you both to be real and genuine people.

Lee , I'm so glad the administrators finally stepped in and removed some of the posts. I've never understood people who need to be ugly just for the sake of hurting other people. I think we were very successful in our isolate and ignore campaigns, but it was still painful to read some of the things that were being said. Hopefully we won't have to do that again, but if we do, we know how to band together to shut them down.

Thanks to all who post here and share questions, information and feelings. Even when the board has periods of inactivity I check in every day just to make sure I don't miss anything.