Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 214 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 03:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydid...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!! THAT LINE FORMATION AND THOSE TWO 'FLAGS' WERE ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 03:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydid - Amazing!!!! Those bicycles and the wheels turning..are you kidding me?! Ha! That was Great!

FreddieDarling - the Royal Guard YES! I know Freddie would get such a HUGE kick out of that! HE's smiling Arse to elbow for sure

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 03:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee and Thor CONGRATS on the Silver and Gold! AND....for expunging the trolls - whoot whoot! When I was catching up on the 2 threads there were some ugly ones for sure. Nice job

Darling Freddie - yes please tell us more about the magazine. I'd love the read the police hat story

Thanks to everyone for all the great links. It's so much fun checking them all out. YouTube has given up suggesting Freddie/Queen videos to me haha I've watched them all

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope everyone got the joke that those awards were just made up by me in jest..... but the numbers are very accurate, the awards are not.
Maybe my fault for not being funnier than I thought.

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love all the links everyone shares. Thank you all so much. I love being shown new articles, videos, books etc about Freddie and Queen.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 512 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

Almost 4,000 posts on the combined threads. I think that is pretty darn AMAZING! It certainly reflects the fun atmosphere you guys have created...and I am so grateful. That so many people enjoy sharing and leaning about Freddie is testimony to what a rare and captivating person he was.

thundergod

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perfectly said Rainbow, Freddie is an inspiration to all generations and continues gaining in popularity as he looks down on us from above We Love You Freddie !!!!

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You all may already be familiar with this, but I accidently found this site that gives details of all Queen concerts along with pictures, links to interviews and reviews, etc. I found it very entertaining and informative. There is a part where Brian talks about how they were so on fire and in sync during the Wembley 1986 shows and they had no idea it would be close to their last time performing together that was heartbreaking.

http://www.queenlive.ca/

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a fun article. Freddie talks about almost being crushed by Roger's drum kit and Roger spraying Brian in the face with hairspray during a fight. I would have loved to witness some their rows.

http://www.queencuttings.com/images/70s/Circus_17mar1977_p02.jpg

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 459 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Folks! :-)

Thanks for the responses.

Thor: I think I have only asked a couple of questions, but that as a while back and I can actually remember them now. I quite understand you can't answer them all at once. Don't worry, we all have"lives" which get in the way of such things :-)

Blenkolove and Katydyd5 the magazine I refer to is the Official International Queen Fan Club run by Jacky Smith. It costs £25 per year within the UK for a print version and £20 for pdf sent info only. Not sure about the rest of the world. You get 2 magazines per year now, plus perks of special signed copies of books etc. Advanced booking for concerts and events plus access to the online archive of every single copy of the magazine, right from the first newsletter ! That is worth the subscription on its own!

If the Thread owners (Thor and Lee and indeed Richard Orchard) think it would be allowed I'd happily send a PDF copy to anyone who wants to private message me with their email address. I pay for the printed versions, but have access to the archived data, too including the latest one. Love the story of the Bulsara"s arrival in the UK.They must have felt very cramped at first, I imagine. If their arrival in the UK isn't a good reason for bigots to accept immigration then I I don't know what is!! So, if it's OK to, PM me and I'm happy to share. :-)

No. I don't really do FB but yes I did see the fabulous Ohio State marching band with their Queen medley when they played in formation! WOW! They were so impressive!

That's all for now folks.
Have a good Thursday!

Bye for now! :+)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 458 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, LOL, you got me. I thought those awards were real. I'm so gullible! Actually it was pretty funny!

thundergod

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey FreddieDarling,
I would think that making e-mail connections with QZ members is perfectly ok. I communicate with some members who have made their e-mail address available to me and vice-versa. These same members have not stopped participating in the forum. My only dilemma is trying to match their real name with their QZ name and then remember who is who. ( I am ashamed to say).

P.S. A while back, a few QZ members told me that Jacky has expressed that she does not care for our forum thread nor support publication of our book - just sayin'

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's good to see you again, Thor! Did you have a good time in Palm Springs? I haven't been there in a few months and I'm itching to go back and veg in a pool with a drink in my hand.

I'd love to email if you're up for it some day. I'm also in SoCal (WeHo, to be specific).

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jacky and I got into it when I was trying to spread the word about the book and just to get an idea of the number of people intrested, I told Lee I would start a petition and have a headcount on hand to show the book publishers. Lee was kind enough to give me a call about it and he seemed thrilled. Im always happy to help the daughters when I can. Jacky was quick to turn it down and twist it into something it never was. "Why are they cashing in on him? They just want to get money with the movie coming out." I replied with "Like you did with your book months after his death or like you did when you forged autographs of his and sold them at auction with a letter of authenticity you created?" She deleted the comments and shut up pretty quick lmao. In the autograph collecting world she's known as the one who took secretarial signatures too far. Plenty of artists have sec sigs when the demand gets too high, but they usually use stamps of genuine signatures or at the very least, do not issue their own certificate of authenticity and then SELL them as genuine. Jacky was doing that for so many years, Julien's, RR and Christie's auction houses turn everything from the fan club away. Regardless of it's provenance. I would also love to see a receipt for the donation homegirl made with the payments she got for interviews in B-list unofficial documentaries . Surely Ms High and Mighty donated her earnings off Freddie to Freddie's AIDS charity since she was so concerned about his friends cashing in. But if that was the case, one has to wonder why she deleted my question about it and then deleted the post entirely :)

*cough cough*

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 459 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, Thor for your response.

I am saddened and surprised to hear that Jacky Smith is so against the idea of your book. Why? Freddie had nothing to be ashamed of with his friendship with you! And I'm certain anyway, given the amount of respect that you always show toward Freddie that you would not print anything you might conceivably consider defamatory or harmful to his memory and legacy. If anybody nowadays cannot handle the fact that Freddie was gay without getting an attack of "the vapours' then they seriously need to get an education !

Your idea for your book takes nothing away from Queen's own fan club. Peter Freestone wrote his books about life with Freddie but they're eager enough to request his presence at conventions all the time to draw in the paying customers! Hypocrisy! (BTW I gave immense respect and fondness for our dear Phoebe and loved his books)

I wish you every luck in getting this book published and am so looking forward to it.

Kind Regards

FreddieDarling

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor- what are your thoughts on Phoebe?

I can only form an opinion from interviews and his book and I felt that he described Freddie with dignity and love. I could be totally wrong, but he seems like a good egg to me.

thundergod

Posted: 10 Jan 19, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Villiers and FreddieDarling,
So, that will end the conversation about Ms. Jacky.
Please do not respond with any comments about this subject. I'm sure she regrets her mistakes.
If you feel you must, please just send me a PM about any of this. I kind of started it and I should
really have taken my own advice. I should not have spoken about it in public on the thread.

So the white flag has just been put up BEFORE the war. Back to positive things that everyone here
likes. Soooooo, I just sent out three new publisher queries. Fingers crossed everyone.!

Let me also tell you that I just accepted an offer from Jamey (Ripsnort) to co-write a new song with
him dedicated to Freddie. Quite an honor. I'm scared as hell but we'll see what I might be able to
come up with. 100 years ago, in college, I got an A+ in poetry (half of it in writing poetry). What the heck????
Anyway, it is sure to be a lot of FUN!

Love ya, Thor

thundergod

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter Freestone is one of the most loving, dedicated, kind, level-headed, self-sacrificing, industrious, and one of the smartest and creative individuals I have ever met. Oh, did I mention that he can cook his way and impress guests at any sort of dining, whether formal or casual? Also, he can do 6 or 7 tasks at the simultaneously and keep everything organized.

Nah, I didn't like him and I can certainly see why he was left out of the movie...NOT!

Freddie absolutely depended on him for EVERYTHING. I would say that after 1980 until the end, he was singularly the most important person in his life, unknown to the public, but more important than even the lady in his life and the several special gentlemen!

thundergod

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, please remove "at the" It should have been deleted when I changed the phrase from "all at the same time" to "simultaneously".

Villiers2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 19, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My friend had lunch with Peter back in July and asked him about the movie. He said he had no say in the script at all but was heavily involved with the recreation of Garden Lodge. I think too many people come down on him for the misrepresentation of Freddie in the film. He had nothing to do with it and couldn't change it. It would've been nice to see him in the film, not only represented as a character but as an Easter egg like they did with Lambert at the gas station. A split second, no lines, just a quick nod to them. Apparently Brian and Roger were in the film too for a split second as roadies. Imagine slurping down a Sprite in the theater and catching a glimpse of the real Peter Freestone feeding birds or something the background lol.

Or having Peter run a record store and have the band walk in during their early days excited to see if their album can be purchased yet.

"Excuse me? Have you got the new Queen album? I'M the singer, dahling. Freddie Mercury."

Peter: "Freddie Who? Never heard of em."

Brian said they would annoy record shop owners in the early days like that. Just hoping people noticed their first record. Can you imagine being Freddie Mercury and knowing you have talent and just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up with it? Lol