Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 01:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow...could the Scrabble Wars have been outside of 1991-1993. I would have loved to play Scrabble with Freddie, Phoebe and Lee.

thundergod

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 01:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mean 81-83 of course.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 02:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See, guys night IN, imagine the fun Scrabble tournaments that could have been lol! Y’all were probably having too much fun for Scrabble though.
Katydyd5, I also like piecing together bits of Freddie through these stories, making him more real for those of us who didn’t get a chance to know him. :)

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love it Katydyd5!

Freddienotfreddy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 06:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NotQuiteASchilling,

The white shorts are so small! The best part, is he has them unbuttoned, just like all his other pants. I love it. They look so good on him.

There is another concert, I believe it is Argentina 1981, where this time it small leather black shorts he changes into at the end, also barefoot. I wonder if the bare feet was probably due to his feet just being tired by the end of a show, because he actually seemed to this a lot at the end of shows.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddienotFreddy (love that name btw!) Yes I asked Thor and Lee about the bare feet performing - I think that question got lost. But I love what Thor said about Freddie's quote about give them WARDROBE! I also love Every Night's a Party at Melina's Mansion. He is singing that in the bathtub in that great footage with him and Jim and it's adorable

I saw something on the internet today about the white shorts saying something like "The only performer who could ever be taken seriously in these tiny white short is Freddie Mercury". Maybe it was on Villiers meme page. He sure rocked them! I will have to look up the black shorts too ahaha

Today I've been watching the 1982 Live at the Bowl concert. They are amazing. Playing some Hot Space. Back Chat is growing on me Noooooooooo

Thor and Lee were you at the Live at the Bowl concert in 1982?

thundergod

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually YES,
We were at the Hollywood concert but to tell you the truth, I don't remeber it being at the Hollywood Bowl.

I only saw Donna Summer and the Queen plus that "Bad Company" guy...the crowd did not come alive
until they played the original footage from Bohemian Rhapsody on the big screen...go figure...right?

Lambert is not perfect but way better than that Roger something!

thundergod

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I may be very wrong about this...and if so, I apologize for a weathered memory..

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

The "Bowl" NotQuiteAShilling referrred to is the Milton Keynes Bowl in Buckinghamshire, England. One of their greatest ever shows!

Also one of the concerts where poor Freddie had to play guitar during Crazy Little Thing... with a bitten hand thanks to nasty Bill Reid !

thundergod

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh good...thank you...I thought I was losing my mind!

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NotQuiteAShilling, I’m actually liking some of the songs on Hot Space, they weren’t all disco clubby like I thought they would be. Back Chat does grow on you but Cool Cat is probably my favorite, little different than other songs. :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, regarding Scrabble. From what I've read the band and crew played Scrabble while touring as a way to pass the time. There are pictures of them playing on a bus, and the video I shared was a plane. If you read Peter Hince's book he talks about it too. If I'm remembering correctly I think it was Peter who said if the crew was playing backstage and Freddie happened upon the game, he would insist they start over so he could play too. I think it's also in the Hince book where he says that the Scrabble board was somehow left behind on a trip to Germany and Freddie had them go out and buy the German version. Peter says he was very upset because the English version has only 1 Z, but the German version had many Z's because it appears so often in their language and he felt that was somehow an unfair point advantage. Someone correct me if I'm giving the wrong source here.

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a very petite woman, but I envy Freddie's confidence wearing those white shorts. Thor- was he happy with how he looked in general? He sure could pull them off!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 19, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor,

In the past you have talked about clubs you and the guys visited with Freddie in NYC. Were there any places you only went to once...and for whatever reason, really disliked and never went to again? Did Freddie suggest where he wanted to go, or did he just leave that up to you and the others? Did you always stick together, or were there times when part of the group went to one club and the rest of the group to another? Were there any instances where you and the others went home, maybe you had to work the next day, but Freddie stayed out longer with Peter (or Paul P.) because he was having too much fun and didn't want to leave?

Blenkolove user not visiting Queenzone.com
Blenkolove
Bohemian: 210 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 19, 03:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stevendabudgie....
Hi!! I watched The Nomi Song on YT.......and I have to say I had NEVER heard of him before....i found him and his 'act' to be completely Bizarre....and yet, like a traffic accident....i just Couldn't Stop Watching!!! This is not meant to be derogatory in Any Way but he reminded me of an amalgamation of Joel Grey from Cabaret, Latka Gravis (Taxi...Aka Andy Kaufman) Ziggy Stardust and Devo....singing Operatic New wave!!! Nomi is SOOO BIZARRE, plus the fact he was performing in NY city......seems like an almost impossibility that he escaped Freddie's notice.
I can almost see a 'Nomi' influence in the Video of 'I'm Going Slightly Mad' ??????
Thank You for turning me on to Nomi......i can think of quite a few friends that I want to inquire if they have ever heard of Nomi??!!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 19, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What do world famous rock stars do to pass the time while traveling between shows...why they play Scrabble, of course. Thanks Katydyd5 for reposting again. I love how relaxed and happy Freddie looks in this video. I wonder if he played Scrabble as child?

One of the most poignant parts of the documentary "Freddie Mercury-The Untold Story" was when Freddie's costumer designer and good friend, Diana Moseley, talks about playing Scrabble with him one day. It was just the two of them. As she left he said to her, "Thank-you for spending the afternoon with an old man.". Try watching that without tearing up. It makes me grateful for all the good friends Freddie had who made sure his final months were filled with love, caring, and friendship.

thundergod

Posted: 17 Jan 19, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Sweetandtenderhooligan,

As any gay man, Freddie took a long time to get ready. But this was mostly adjusting his face to perfection. As far as clothes went, he favored some outfits like the yellow striped tee shirt, the light blue jeans, and sometimes the yellow "Dallas" tee-shirt that we have a picture of and was seen, I think, in an interview or a music video. He liked the way he looked in these limited outfits and wore them time and time again.

thundergod

Posted: 17 Jan 19, 04:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
We mostly stayed together. I, personally, did not have to be at my 12-hour shift until 6 pm on work days and I believe Lee did not have to go to work until 4 pm. John and Joe had various work days and off days and they came to every outing as they could. In 1981, the West Village had the largest array of bars and clubs and the major dance club, the Saint was the ONLY place to go on a Saturday night. Studio 54 was the Sunday place.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 19, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted: 17 Jan 19, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, what did “adjusting his face to perfection” entail? Did he wear stuff like eyeliner out? Is there going to be a pic of y’all out or getting ready to go out in your book?