Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 19, 02:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T.

Posted: 21 Jan 19, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, I tried but couldn't delete my previous blank post. It was unintentionally sent. I thought I was relatively computer savvy and literate as a person - till I joined QZ! LOL
I'm a newbie. Am I the only one who feels the Web site is slow and in need of an upgrade? BTW, how the h - - - do I delete a post I made?

Thor 'n Lee, buena suerte! I hope you both land a book deal during your time in CA (Thor, I'm the one that sent you an e-mail when I couldn't upload photos into QZ Fan Art.).

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 19, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. Hi and welcome. I've yet to figure out how to delete a post, and if you go back a page or so you'll find a blank post from me that I was unable to delete just like yours. Maybe someone else knows how to do that..

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 19, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm still trying to figure out how to apply directly to someone's post without copying and pasting what they said in a new box. Any directions on how to do that?

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 19, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So I took my girls to the Panic! At the Disco concert last night and got a video of the band singing Bohemian Rhapsody, thought I would share it with you all. I think moments like these keep Freddie’s memory alive, because there’s about 12,000 Panic! fans all singing Bohemian Rhapsody and hopefully finding and listening to the rest of Queen’s music! Link to video below

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=onkilIEgq4c

Posted: 24 Jan 19, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing Anniebee! I often wonder what Freddie would have thought if he had known BR would be a song that audiences would still be singing with the performers. I'm sure he could not have imagined this or that he would be so loved long past his short time on earth. I'm grateful the movie has opened up a whole new fan base for Freddie and Queen. I believe Freddie and the band will still be at the top long after I'm gone because they are so unique and special.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 19, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello All,
I am back in town after a very good meeting with Lee.
We worked on the book and improved and updated our manuscript and proposal to reflect the excitement about the movie, the drawbacks of Freddie's true character portrayal, and the recent Golden Globe wins and Oscar nominations. Good to be back! Now, I need to start sending it out to as many literary agents and publishers as possible. I will be very busy...but will always make some time for all of YOU!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 19, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm so happy to see you back, Thor! How was Palm Springs?

thundergod

Posted: 24 Jan 19, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha Ha Sweet,

Palm Springs was GREAT!

The bookwork was time-consuming but with a fine sense of accomplishment! Now it's up to the publishing gods!

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 19, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good to see you back again Thor! Glad you and Lee got a chance to get together, regroup, and work on this book to make sure it will get some interest. I’m hoping you get some good leads with this! It will be nice to see all of the hard work you both have put into it pay off. :)

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 19, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

You and Lee sound re-energized. Glad to hear that!

I am curious about your writing process. Do you and Lee discuss ideas, write down notes, and then expand on the notes? Do you both take turns typing or is one of you responsible for that task? Are you doing your own editing or do you have someone else helping you with that? You both have your own unique writing styles…is this book a combination of those styles so that you speak as “one voice, or are you each sharing your memories separately? Just trying to get a behind-the-scenes peek at how this book came together. Thanks!

Posted: 25 Jan 19, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Glad to see you back Thor! As Rainbow said, you certainly do sound re-energized and that is wonderful to see. Fingers crossed!!

Jo T.

Posted: 25 Jan 19, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Honestly, I can't imagine why a publisher would NOT want to publish your and Lee's book. Publishers should be vying for it. Strike while the iron is hot, hot, hot!

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 19, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome back Thor! We missed you guys, but so glad you had such a productive and uplifting time! It's in the Lap of the Gods now...C'mon publishers - pay attention dang it!

thundergod

Posted: 25 Jan 19, 05:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks all for your support!

I managed to get 5 more queries and proposals off today. One said they would only accept a two-page query by regular mail and would need 8 weeks to get back. Are you kidding me?.

Anyway, the other 5 seemed reasonable.

thundergod

Posted: 25 Jan 19, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Rainbow,

I will try to answer your questions. The whole query and proposal have been written for months as has the entire manuscript. Updating the proposal was done by me. .As Lee likes to say, writing is never done and editing and improvements are ongoing throughout the process.

Basically, we started with me reading the current paragraphs then pausing to make improvements to the sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar with a discussion between us to exchange better words, more commas and hyphens, and thesaurus utilization to prevent repeated words being too close together, which sounds awkward when reading back. Then, we would switch roles, where Lee was at the computer and I listened to his reading the passages out loud. This technique worked well for us and we were both very satisfied with the results.

thundergod

Posted: 25 Jan 19, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Continuing...
As you pointed out, Lee and I do have different writing styles. In our full manuscript of 17 chapters, it is obvious who is narrating the story. But, for the query and proposal, I listed in the sampling of four chapters the ones that Lee wrote. and the ones I wrote. We chose two of mine and two of his.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 19, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Thor,

Thanks for giving us “behind the scenes” access! For novice writers, it’s great that you and Lee hit your stride relatively early and figured out how to tackle this book project. It sounds like you formed an effective partnership. Can you imagine doing this back in the days when you only had a manual typewriter...or better yet, a fountain pen and pads of paper (think Tolstoy writing “War and Peace”).

I took a typing class in high school. We had to choose between learning on a manual typewriter or an electric. Most people recommended leaning on a manual because you didn't know if you would have access to an electric typewriter once you left class. So I "wisely" chose to learn on the manual. That makes me laugh now. And where does one see a manual typewriter these days.…probably in your grandparent’s attic or a history museum!

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing more of your writing process Thor. Did you have any idea what you two were getting into when you started? I think there is always room for editing when writing, especially if you take some time away from the piece and then take another look. You guys also discovered another invaluable technique when you read out loud to each other. Seeing it in print and hearing it can yield two very different interpretations. When I'm writing emails or posts on FB or here on this forum I don't worry so much about correctness because I'm having fun. When I had to write professionally it was much more tedious and worrisome. I was on several committees that wrote grant proposals and I thought that was deadly boring. I believe I was put on those committees more because of my ability to call BS when necessary rather than my writing skills. It sounds like you two are doing something similar to grant proposals when writing the queries to publishers. If so, I feel your pain. As always, thanks for your effort. It IS going to pay off.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61 - I took typing class in high school too. We all had electric at that point - early 80's. What I remember most is how LOUD that class was LOL! Remember White Out and the correction tape - what a pain that was! Pen and paper or ink wells and scrolls - I can't even imagine...