Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NotQuiteAShilling,

I took typing in 79 or 80...I'm sure they switched to electric typewriters soon after. I've never been a strong typist, so Wite-Out and correction tape were my best friends! I often remember being impatient for the Wite-Out to dry and typing a bit too soon.... only to end up with a blurry, blob of a corrected letter! I don't know if Freddie ever used a typewriter in his life...but the thought of that high-energy guy having to sit in front of a type writer and do any writing is rather amusing.

Thor...I know that sadly, some of your very good friends from the time period you knew Freddie have passed away, but for those who are still around, did you have to get their permission before including any pictures with them in your book? If yes, is that something that publishers require? Just wondering how that works. Thanks again for feeding my never-ending curiosity!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I enjoy your "never-ending" curiosity and I hope you'll keep asking questions. You often put into words things that I didn't even realize I was wondering about until you ask. And thanks to Thor and Lee for the patience to answer and educate.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow,
Unless we are told differently, these photos are the property of Lee. Most of the content of our pictures, unfortunately, besides me, Lee and Phoebe, are no longer with us. May they rest in peace.

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor (and Lee) I cannot imagine the magnitude of losing 85% of your close friends to AIDS. I'm so sorry you had to go through that

thundergod

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear NotQuiteAShilling,

Thank you for your kind, comforting thoughts.

With much appreciation,
Thor

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor and Lee,

A sobering reminder of too many people lost far too soon. I hope the friends and family of those who are no longer here will read your book and smile when they see those pictures of happier moments in the lives of those they loved.

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1708 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. wrote:

Honestly, I can't imagine why a publisher would NOT want to publish your and Lee's book. Publishers should be vying for it. Strike while the iron is hot, hot, hot!

Some Publishers have something against indiscrete kiss and tell books by "friends" trying to cash in on a dead person

queenbuzz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70

With all due respect (and I mean it very respectfully not sarcastically) If you read through all of Lee and Thors posts, they are very careful and thoughtful to not exploit Freddie and his memory and always redirect comments to a positive perspective when discussing the past. It is evident to me of their intentions. Their memories are not salacious but I feel that after the movie and the increased interest they feel burdened to share the side of Freddie they knew.

Lee and Thor, Press on as hard as it may be. I am sure if nothing else you are reliving precious memories that you ordinarily would not have thought of and that is priceless.

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 20:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all...first time posting for me. I really want to say how much I’m enjoying this thread and sincerely thank Thor and Lee for sharing themselves and their memories here. Like a lot of people, I became so curious about Freddie after seeing the movie and started reading and watching everything I could to learn more about him. I loved Queen’s music as a teenager but never really knew much about the band and now am finding myself nearly obsessed! I can’t explain why but I often get incredibly sad after reading about or hearing some of his songs (probably because I’m 53 and going through hot flashes like crazy!). It’s been great to read from good sources that Freddie did enjoy life and was happy so thank you for that! I don’t have any questions right now but am happy to keep reading and ask questions when I have some.

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Annie 65 (and a belated welcome to LeChienfou and Jo T.)

Annie65...I completely understand how you feel...there are songs and video clips that always fill me with such sadness and a sense of loss. I can barely watch "These Are The Days of Our Lives" without tearing up. I can't imagine what it is like for Thor and Lee. With few exceptions, this is simply a fun community of Freddie fans who have gathered to celebrate his extraordinary talent. Every new person is a welcome addition to the Freddie family!

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 23:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow 61 I agree with Katydid - I also love your curiosity. Your questions always have such a unique and interesting angle - and it's always things that I also want to know but wouldn't have thought to ask.

Welcome Annie65! I am one year behind you (oh no I don't want hot flashes grrr) and I also loved Queen in middle school and high school. For me it wasn't the movie that began my obsession, but rather the Queen stuff coming out all over the internet prior to the movie release. When I watched the Live Aid performance footage - well that was it. Completely hooked and loving every minute of it.

Welcome to the forum - it's a wonderful place!

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of videos that stir the emotions - I found this one the other day. It's all Freddie and Jim (and Thor I think you are in it for a microsecond in the yard of Garden Lodge). It's really really sweet. The music they used was I Was Meant To Love You - but it's a version with only piano. This one tugged my heartstrings for sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CsMPe6PUdY

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Possibly some good news friends...

A publisher from London located a short distance from the Garden Lodge, of all places, wrote the following:

"...you will be pleased to know that our Board of Editors have reported back favourably regarding your initial submission. Therefore, they now wish to view your complete manuscript in its final form."

Sounds positive, but I also sent out five more queries last night to keep the ball rolling.

Fingers crossed, please!

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 00:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can get through "These Are The Days of Our Lives" now, though not the first time. However, the MAKING of "These Are The Days" rips me apart every time. I think it's watching Freddie, working so hard to perfect his performance when he was so clearly in pain that gets to me. It's also hard to see him trying to get his appearance just right. Another song I have trouble with is "No One But You". They've chosen the perfect shots of Freddie through the years and the words are so poignant that I still cry every time I watch. One other song that brings me to tears every time is "Mother Love" because it's so raw and honest. When Brian's voice comes in on the third verse to complete the song, it breaks my heart. Since I only listen to my CD's in the car, I have to force myself to look straight ahead when I'm stopped at a light so that I don't have to acknowledge other drivers who might be looking at a crying fool. In spite of the sadness these songs still bring me joy because of the talent of the man and the band behind the songs. I will always admire his drive to work as long and hard as he could, and I'll always be amazed at what he was able to accomplish at that time.

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing that video NotQuiteAShilling, there was a lot of happiness there! There were some photos I had not seen before and I'm always pleased to see new photos. I've always liked Jim and I'm glad they found each other even though it was for a relatively short time. I recently saw the statement Brian May released on the occasion of Jim's death. I've just searched for it, but of course I can't find it. I'll paraphrase but basically Brian said that Jim was a good man who was not impressed by the fame and lifestyle of a rock star so he was perfect for Freddie. He gave Freddie that grounding in normalcy that Freddie treasured. Thor and Lee, and all the NYDaughters, did the same.

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 01:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Rainbow and NotQuiteAShilling ...it’s nice to be here! I still haven’t made it through the entirety of These Are the Days video.....Its a tough one. Funnily enough, I was a huge Highlander fan and listening to Who Wants to Live Forever never bothered me back then.....now...it’s the one that makes me cry. Oh...and last night, for some reason, it was In the Lap of the Gods. Go figure. And honestly....I’m not a sad person.....quite positive and upbeat actually. And NotQuiteAShilling, the hot flashes arent so bad as long as you look them in the eye and have a lot of sleeveless tops! LOL. By the way....my name is Ann......as if you couldn’t guess. :)

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way....I never would have posted here if this group didn’t seem so welcoming and kind. Thanks.

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh wow Thor, that is fantastic news!!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds VERY positive. This may be a silly question, but do you have multiple copies of your manuscript? Do they all contain the pictures? I can only imagine that making copies must be part of the expense of writing a book. I am learning so much about the world of publishing from you. My fingers are crossed for sure!!!

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Katydyd,

I have a few copies of the manuscript, but then, if Lee or I make changes, it needs to be copied all over again. As far as photos go, there are six that go out with our queries and only the same six with the full manuscript. We are not going to give out any other photos until we have them copywritten and that won't be until we have both signed a publishing contract.

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm glad to hear about the photos Thor. I'm not quite as trusting as I was when I was younger and I would be hesitant to let those photos out of your sight.

I think you should repost your publishing news. A lot of us are on a posting roll tonight and I'm afraid it got buried. I want everyone to see it!!