Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Thoughts on Thor Arnold and Lee Nolan's eleven year friendship with Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1690 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Repeat posting per request-

Possibly some good news friends...

A publisher from London located a short distance from the Garden Lodge, of all places, wrote the following:

"...you will be pleased to know that our Board of Editors have reported back favourably regarding your initial submission. Therefore, they now wish to view your complete manuscript in its final form."

Sounds positive, but I also sent out five more queries last night to keep the ball rolling.

Fingers crossed, please!

Annie65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 01:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great news about the book!

ForFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
ForFreddie
Bohemian: 135 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 02:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a little late to the thread. I really didn't appreciate how great a person Freddie was, until I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and, started doing my own reading and research, afterwards.

I've always been a Queen fan, but, I'm a little ashamed to say, here, in a thread about Freddie, that I didn't come to truly love him, until BR.....oh, I "loved" him, loved his music, his great voice, but, not until BR and doing a lot of reading and visiting sites such as this, did I come to love him for himself, for the beautiful, inside and out, person he really was....yes, Freddie, in my opinion, was a gorgeous man, teeth and all, I actually think his teeth added to his uniquely, beautiful look.

RIP, Freddie, I'll always love you.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 360 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll add my welcome Annie65 and also a welcome to anyone else I may have missed. This is a great group of people.

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, great news about the interest in the book! I knew all of the hard work you and Lee have put into this would start paying off soon! Also reading back through the posts, I get the feeling that while this book has been a great way for y’all to look back at great memories, I wonder if it has been a bit bittersweet as well. It breaks my heart to hear about the large number of friends you and Lee have lost to aids over the years; that’s why I’m happy to see all of the love coming to both of you on this forum. You guys deserve it and I can’t wait to see this wonderful work of FRIENDSHIP come to life. I think it’s a great way to honor those who have gone before us. :)

Anniebee user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And warmest welcomes to Annie65, LeChienfou and Jo T!! Love to see new people participating!

Sweetandtenderhooligan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 323 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 03:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor- what music did they play in the clubs when you would go to them?

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lee, I assume you're Irish Catholic because of "Nolan," am I right? FYI, I learned that St. Francis de Sales is the patron saint of writers and journalists. His feast day was actually 2 days ago - every Jan. 24th! Thus, we should all pray to St. Francis de Sales that Lee and Thor secure a book deal in the near future. BTW, I'm not even Catholic! LOL

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha ha Sweet,

That is easy....disco, disco, and more disco. Gays, people of color and many women could not get enough of it! The "disco is dead" movement was mostly straight white men. Even to this day, I hear old disco melodies renewed even in some rap songs. I Was Born to Love You was Freddie's tribute to disco, which never really died. Although Freddie never liked to dance, he accompanied the New York daughters to the most popular gay disco of the time period, namely, "The Saint, where the dance floor was highlighted with a real Planetarium machine and a domed roof. Stars, planets and galaxies would suddenly appear on the ceiling as the crowd went wild. Freddie loved the place!

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SO EXCITING THOR!!!!!! I like the fact that they are close to Garden Lodge. Like it was meant to be. Like Freddie's helping you
Fingers (and toes and anything else I can find) are crossed! please please please be the one

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Jo T.
Lee is working today, so on his behalf, I will answer for him.

Lee IS Catholic (Italian and Irish) but is not a practicing one.
Christianity has never been very kind nor accepting of the LBGT community. We both tend to be quite spiritual but shy away from organized religion for obvious reasons.

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But we will pray to any Saint who would like to help us...lol

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you NotQuiteAShilling,

Freddie was immediately in my thoughts when we got this interesting news about this publisher being near the Garden Lodge!

ForFreddie

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 04:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey, what am I, chopped liver? Lol...

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 04:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, Chopped Liver...LOL, I mean ForFreddie,

Welcome to this forum, ForFreddie, you seem like OUR type of people who loved and still love this man!
I did not mean to ignore you at all. We all love new people to our site!

ForFreddie

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor....lol... nice sense of humor....

I get a little, testy sometimes, most people just ignore me...I was beginning to wonder, though, if one needed to be a long time poster to be here....you all seem to know each other.

I actually do have a question, you're probably the best person to ask, I kinda hate to, because it might be a little, sensitive?

Ok.... I am really wondering how everyone felt about Mary.... truthfully.... because, I'm feeling not so kindly towards her, after reading all kinds of negative things about her...but, if what I'm reading is wrong, I'd really love to know, Freddie loved her, I know and, I don't want to think/believe she really wasn't what anyone thought.

If you tell me, she really was everything Freddie thought her to be....and, she really didn't do/say some of the awful things I've heard, I'll believe you....

If you can't talk about it, I'll understand.

thundergod

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This topic sometimes exasperates people, but I will keep it simple and in terms of what I witnessed.

Mary was always polite but always quiet while Freddie was alive. She would sit with us sometimes but was always very quiet. It gave me the impression that she was not interested in Freddie's gay friends nor what we had to say. Her departure again was polite but lacked a certain sincerity. That was fine with me as long as she was so important to Freddie.
I happened to be in London a few months after Freddie's death. Although Phoebe knew he would eventually have to leave, his dismissal from the Garden Lodge was not as amicable as I thought it should have been. That is all I would like to say on this topic.

ForFreddie

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, thanks, you have said , without being too personal, what I do already suspect.

ForFreddie

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 05:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went to the theater with my daughter in law to see Bohemian Rhapsody...she's also a fan....my 10 year old granddaughter went with us.

During the movie, my granddaughter leans over to me and said, " I hope they don't focus on his death too much."

Her mother must have told her the Queen/Freddie Mercury story.

queenfan09 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 19, 05:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a newbie (but long time lurker) and I've finally caught up on this thread - lol. Best of luck Thor & Lee on the final manuscript! I also hope you receive additional positive feedback with regard to your other submissions.