Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > QAL in Newcastle - Review

forum rss feed
Author

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 237 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not by a Glambert.

I'm afraid it was pretty boring. They played OK but Adam came across as very insincere and the whole thing was so scripted and safe. Adam's speech about Freddie is so scripted it doesn't come across as genuine at all, he even cracked the same Frank head jokes.

There were some highs - AKOM was surprisingly good as was ILWMC, Roger sounds in good voice. UP was very good as was WTLF.

I'd seen them twice before and they were great but Adam isn't hungry for it anymore and they came across as doddery old men. Fairclough and Spike were in many many ways the real stars. It's not rock n roll any more it's musical theatre.

If they tour again I wont bother.

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 2588 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is WTLF? As Brian says, they are now a well oiled machine! LOL

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 237 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jesus wept. Work it out. Although it's a Queen song so you would't recognise the original.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe the correct anagram is WWTLF.

scottmax user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 417 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I’m not sure which show you were watching on Friday night.....
Maybe you should’ve went there with an open mind and not still be pining for the deceased lead singer?
It is what it is, 2 original members of our favourite band doing a damn good job of keeping the live side of things alive after a barren 20 years or so of not touring as Queen.
This is just my opinion of course, but I’m certain that your view of Fridays show would be dismissed by the other 10,999 patrons who were in attendance

oliverd05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
oliverd05
Bohemian: 295 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fully agree Scott! I’ve seen Queen and Adam lambert 9 times in the last 3 years, and it’s gotta be said, Newcastle show this tour was the best show they’ve done in my opinion, I just wish someone recorded it!

d.oliver
Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 2171 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How did Brian's and Roger's playing seem to you, LOTV?

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used to like the speech...not this time around. I was horrified by this in the N.A tour that AL dedicated Two Fux to Freddie. That came across as very self serving.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2183 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Newcastle gig was one of the best, if not the best, I've seen on this tour.

The entire band put loads of effort into the show. TOTV saying Lambert came across as insincere and not hungry for it makes a nonsense of what the rest of the audience saw. The connection between the three of them is evident by the eye contact and smiles. Anyone at the front or along the thrust to the B stage would have seen this.

Those like LOTV who are quick to critise Lambert's rehearsed lines seem to have forgotten how much Freddie would stick to the same pieces of chatter. Or the king of the one Liner David Lee Roth using the same line, not just show after show, but tour after tour! Or Paul Stanley's song into's to Love Gun or Cold Gin or the whole of Metallica's poor touring me set in which Hetfield's lines to the audience where as reheased as anything Lambert has said.

The truth is if your presenting a show as big as the current Queen production, with so many moving parts, both lighting, video and staging everything has to be rehearsed.

Having access to YouTube gives a different prospective to live touring shows. But the best way to see any gig is to get a ticket and lose yourself in the moment which is what most of the audience do night after night

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree everything has to be rehearsed. I'm still shocked there was only a day or two of rehearsals before this tour...I don't feel that was enough time, and with AL messing up Bohemian Rhapsody proved that there was much care or thought put in into his parts this time around.
My highlight...I'm so happy and emotional DOOL was played at least twice. I'm hoping it will be played in London. I think that will be perfect way to pay tribute and respect Freddie and John, surely Brian and Roger won't leave it out in London?

SweetCaroline

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal Harmony, I agree with you 100% that seeing them live and being in the moment is different than just watching a YouTube video!

SweetCaroline

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Icy, will you ever forgive Adam for being human? At least he didn’t stop cold and telll the accompany musicians, “oh f*ck I messed that up, I’m sorry but I have to start over!”

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You and your Bible thumping again. Forgive?? I'm bringing it up because it's in the context of rehearsal time.
Oh so he was meant to mess up like Adele? If you can't understand why she messed up during that, there's no use talking to you about it.
AL messed up big time with Bohemian Rhapsody three times in a row, sweetcaroline...will it hurt you or him to admit to it?

someonewholikesadam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 765 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would jump in there and try to help you Sweet Caroline but it's for naught. Many of these Queen fans are so miserable.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another red alert sent and received? LOL.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another red alert sent and received? LOL.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 04 Dec 17, 23:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

someonewholikesadam, yes I know! In the review about QAL in Classic Rock, they specifically mention the Adam haters in the Queen forums!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 05 Dec 17, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just too bad nobody has mentioned about 'hating' AL. Gee, some of you Glamberts must always defend and protect him always. But you fail at it. He's a grown man who doesn't give TwoFux anymore, too bad the same can't be said for some of his fans.
Haters, negativity, and the rest of it, is another thing that is thrown around too easily by Glamberts. It does nothing to help him.

SweetCaroline

Posted: 05 Dec 17, 00:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam is magnificent! Just ask Brian!

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 05 Dec 17, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why? Am I allowed to have my own views? No, AL isn't magnificent, if he was magnificent, perfect, whatever praise you give him would he mess up Bohemian Rhapsody three times in a row?
It's you who feels he can't do no wrong, sweetcaroline. And I don't have to ask Brian because I have given and I'm allowed to give my own views. That's what you can't and won't accept.