Forums > Queen - General Discussion > A Day At The Races.....Failed attempt at ANATO or Part 2 of greatness?

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3364 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 17, 20:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let the debating Begin! A failed attempt at re creating their biggest album? Or do you consider It one of their best?

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20298 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 17, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't say it was an attempt to recreate, but the methodology certainly was similar.

There was less diversity of genres, but it was no less creative or impactful. The Millionaire Waltz is one of the finest pieces in the canon.

But - put a gun to my head and ANATO wins every time. Everything anyone needs to know about Queen is on side 2 of that album. It is perfect.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
Chopin1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chopin1995
Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 17, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^I agree with almost every word. Part 2 of greatness.

To me, The Millionaire Waltz is pretty much on the Bohemian Rhapsody level.

Perfection on ANATO starts a little bit ealier - from Seaside Rendezvous.

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 178 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 17, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Part 2. I always see them as sister albums.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 2169 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 17, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

I wouldn't say it was an attempt to recreate, but the methodology certainly was similar.

There was less diversity of genres, but it was no less creative or impactful. The Millionaire Waltz is one of the finest pieces in the canon.

But - put a gun to my head and ANATO wins every time. Everything anyone needs to know about Queen is on side 2 of that album. It is perfect.

This. I absolutely agree.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 3164 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've read a couple of times recently people citing side 2 of ANATO being their greatest side. It's not one I stick on much: BR - overplayed, GSTQ - boring GC - filler, LOML - too twee, Prophets Song - sheeesh

Side one however... delicious.

I think it was discussed quite recently - my opinion is ADATR seems much more 'slight' that ANATO. Trying the same trick again (package / name) was never going to work so it just gets overshadowed for me despite the fact it has a couple of my all time favs. And I've said it before, but having YTMBA 2nd just kills the albums for me. It just stops it dead. ANATO flows. ADATR is too jumpy in that track order.

Dim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 133 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ADATR is a masterpiece, many see it very wrong, since the previous album had Bohemian Rhapsody etc. But ADATR has the spirit of Queen II and Anato, it show very clearly how pioneer Queen were, what Queen music is, not just a feeling, or expirience but something more, a emotion! That was their creative phase.

In terms of music it needs time for the average listeners to understand. Freddie wrote one of the best vaudeville music. It is classically influenced melodicism of this album. It is not easy album like Queen II and Innuendo.

Dim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 133 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ADATR is a masterpiece, many see it very wrong, since the previous album had Bohemian Rhapsody etc. But ADATR has the spirit of Queen II and Anato, it shows very clearly how pioneer Queen were, what Queen music is, not just a feeling, or expirience but something more, a emotion! That was their creative phase.

In terms of music it needs time for the average listeners to understand. Freddie wrote one of the best vaudeville music. It is classically influenced melodicism album. It is not easy album like Queen II and Innuendo.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5096 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote:

I've read a couple of times recently people citing side 2 of ANATO being their greatest side. It's not one I stick on much: BR - overplayed, GSTQ - boring GC - filler, LOML - too twee, Prophets Song - sheeesh

Side one however... delicious.

I think it was discussed quite recently - my opinion is ADATR seems much more 'slight' that ANATO. Trying the same trick again (package / name) was never going to work so it just gets overshadowed for me despite the fact it has a couple of my all time favs. And I've said it before, but having YTMBA 2nd just kills the albums for me. It just stops it dead. ANATO flows. ADATR is too jumpy in that track order.

I know you're just giving your own personal tastes but I think it;s a bit unfair to dismiss Bo Rap for being overplayed. There is a reason it's overplayed, and that's because it remains one of the great rock songs of all time.

I can't agree that Good Company is filler. The way Brian constructed the guitar orchestra is amazing and that talent is one of the reasons he is admired not just by other guitarists but by virtuosos like Vai and Malmsteen, both of whom, technically, are better players than he is.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
dysan

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed on both counts Holly. Just personal opinion. In fact, Bo Rap / GSTQ and LOML are in the small club of Queen songs I don't have on my MP3 player despite having all the albums on there for shuffle purposes.

RE GC: it can still be filler despite having a lot of work put into it. I was trying to think up an analogy using different London bridges, but it got a bit messy.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1423 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anato sister piece is all. No failure in trying to recapture. Has some magnificent work on it.
Could've even been a double album with ANATO in fact.

Master Marathon Runner
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4373 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just imagine if it had actually been a double album. Amazing.

SIDE ONE

Introduction/Death On Two Legs
Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon
I'm In Love With My Car
You And I
Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
Sweet Lady

SIDE TWO

You Take My Breath Away
'39
You're My Best Friend
The Millionaire Waltz
Good Company
Teo Torriate (Let Us Cling Together)

SIDE THREE

Somebody To Love
The Prophet's Song
White Man
Love Of My Life
Long Away

SIDE FOUR

Seaside Rendezvous
Drowse
Tie Your Mother Down
Bohemian Rhapsody
God Save The Queen

Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 363 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As someone pointed out recently, ADATR has a little to much vaudeville for my liking.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2180 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Absolutely agree apart from that bit where somethings makes me think Races is slightly less bombastic, a little more restrained and a better sounding (warmer?) production, so I tend to go against conventional wisdom and say for me ADATR is slightly better.

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 783 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In terms of live legacy, BR apart, ADATR has it, especially; STL, TYMD, but ANATO is without doubt a better studio album

The problem with ADATR as already pointed out, is the running order imho, more thought could have gone into that; YTMBA is a nice enough song but the album may have been better if it was placed elsewhere, or dropped altogether
...and I don't get White Man....pretty sure BM could have come up with something better

I remember getting it when it came out, let's just say it remains in pristine condition

dysan

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like having IILWMC early on side one of ANATO - having Drowse follow a beat after TYMD's last bang would've been nice.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dim wrote:

In terms of music it needs time for the average listeners to understand. Freddie wrote one of the best vaudeville music. It is classically influenced melodicism album. It is not easy album like Queen II and Innuendo.

Innuendo perhaps, but certainly not Queen II. The arrangements are just as thick and lush (save for the fact that it was done on 16 track instead of 24). The only major difference in the two ensuing years is the accessibility.

Well, that and more diversity of genres and a better skill set in maneuvering the studio. But ultimately what makes ADATR the more accessible album is they got better at melody guiding the songs, whereas the arrangements are what guide most of Queen II.

I guess it's really a matter of taste. I love both albums, but for different reasons. But I guess my point is that Queen II is no less complex than ADATR, and that's where where similarities end.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 2169 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

SIDE ONE

Introduction/Death On Two Legs
Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon
I'm In Love With My Car
You And I
Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy
Sweet Lady

SIDE TWO

You Take My Breath Away
'39
You're My Best Friend
The Millionaire Waltz
Good Company
Teo Torriate (Let Us Cling Together)

SIDE THREE

Somebody To Love
The Prophet's Song
White Man
Love Of My Life
Long Away

SIDE FOUR

Seaside Rendezvous
Drowse
Tie Your Mother Down
Bohemian Rhapsody
God Save The Queen

I like what could have been done. It would have been brilliant.
I'm happy with both albums. These are two of the albums that make me wish I was a fan back then. It must have been incredible to see how popular Queen became at the time.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:

somethings makes me think Races is slightly less bombastic, a little more restrained and a better sounding (warmer?) production,

Can't argue with that. White Man has a restraint that Prophet doesn't have. Its vision is clearer.

But I'll take '39 over Teo Torriatte any day. As gorgeous as the latter is, the former is just perfect. There is more depth to that piece than all of ADATR combined, as far as I'm concerned.

Part of the hindsight is knowing that Queen's backs were against the wall while creating ANATO, while ADATR has them happier and more peaceful with having sorted out their business affairs. It's almost always that fire of uncertainty that has an artist create their best work. But of course, such things are never apparent at the time to neither listeners nor the artist. They just create and leave their cerebral side at the door.

We really are grasping at straws here. Both albums are magnificent, just for different reasons.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Jan 18, 21:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

The press would have destroyed them. The reviews would've been twice as harsh. ADATR on its own was reviewed as overblown and pompous. I can't imagine how much worse it could've been.

But I will give that track listing of yours a shot !