Forums > Queen - General Discussion > A Day At The Races.....Failed attempt at ANATO or Part 2 of greatness?

forum rss feed
Author

LOTV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 234 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apart from the obvious connections in title I've never seen them as partners. The recent NOTW review narrative as has tried to paint them as such but I don't see it. I like them both on their own merit and see no more reason to directly compare than I do say Jazz and The Game.

Sheer Heart Attack is my favourite album.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3353 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nah, I do think they're connected like twins. From the artwork to the Album title and song structure. I like both as well, but they were smart enough to change direction with the more straight foward News Of The World.

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Martin Packer wrote:

What is interesting, but unsurprising, is that we all rate each of the songs differently. It's bloody typical of us. :-)

I notice that with Queen fans more than other bands I like. I think It's because they wrote so many different styles of songs. I'm, lucky enough too have an open mind. So I love almost everything they did until 1980. But everyone has their limits, and they lost me with Hot Space. The Works was ok but this is when they became a singles band.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6930 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

Nah, I do think they're connected like twins. From the artwork to the Album title and song structure.

But that, again, was more of a common denominator for their 'British Era' (and even later on), so to speak. Their albums tended to have:

- At least one strong rock number, usually (but not always) written by Brian, with relatively straightforward harmony and form and which sounded quite powerful live: 'Keep Yourself Alive', 'Ogre Battle' / 'Seven Seas of Rhye', 'Now I'm Here', 'Sweet Lady', 'Tie Your Mother Down', 'We Will Rock You', 'Fat Bottomed Girls', 'Dragon Attack' (sort of), 'The Hero', 'Put Out the Fire', 'Hammer to Fall' / 'Tear It Up', 'One Vision' (sort of), 'I Want It All', 'Headlong'. MIH was a comp so it doesn't really count here.

- At least a piano ballad, usually (but not always) penned by Frederick: the slow sections on 'My Fairy King' and 'Black Queen', 'Nevermore', 'Lily of the Valley', 'Love of My Life', 'You Take My Breath Away', 'My Melancholy Blues', 'Jealousy', 'Play the Game', 'Life Is Real', 'It's a Hard Life', 'Friends Will Be Friends' (sort of). That tradition ended in the late 80's, which strongly contributed to the later albums feeling so different. It also skipped the Flash OST, but then again that was a one-off and, to his credit, 'The Kiss' was originally demoed as a piano-driven track.

- A prog/rock epic, usually guitar-driven, quite powerful and with clever form and harmony: 'Liar' / 'Great King Rat', 'Father to Son', 'Brighton Rock', 'Prophet's Song', 'White Man' (sort of), 'It's Late' (quite simple harmony though). That one seemed to have ended when they left the UK.

- A classical-influenced (or baroque-influenced, or Victorian-influenced) piece, usually (but not always) by Frederick, usually keyboard driven: 'My Fairy King', 'Black Queen' and 'Master-Stroke', 'Lap of the Gods' (the 'other' one), 'Bo Rhap', 'Waltz'. That one ended there although it could be, to some extent, be argued that 'Was It All Worth It' had shades of that.

- At least a piece by Roger and at least a piece (with some exceptions such as 'Innuendo' and the first two albums) by John. In that sense, it's not too shocking that 'You and I' resembled 'Best Friend' (though I'd say it was closer to 'Spread Your Wings') and 'Drowse' shared some traits with 'Car' (though they were both IMO far closer to 'Tenement Funster' than to each other).

- And so on...

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
Oscar J user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1453 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ In what, if any, of those categories would you put Innuendo (the song)? Seems to fit squarely into the third one to me.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6930 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, the third one, defo.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 05:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Count me with the proud minority that actually prefers ADATR and always has. I love both albums though...I love all of the '70's albums. It's my favorite string of albums from any artist from any era.

Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder what the interpersonal dynamics were in the ANATO / ADATR period. Probably more mutually supportive than in the 1980s. Team Dynamics is quite important, in terms of the quality of the product.

Martin

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 20:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember one of their producers said they worked more as a team in the 70's than they did in the 80's. I think it showed in their work.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20138 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed. By the 80s it was all business. They were working separately, had separate limos to the gig, and separate dressing rooms. They never hung out socially unless it was after a gig.

But hey, it was after a solid decade of work to climb up to the top. Once you get there, there's only one place to go. And relationships tend to go with it.

We've seen the 1977 backstage and studio footage, and the One Vision studio footage. But if there was footage from 1982 or 83, I bet it'd paint a different picture. There's probably a good reason why the cameras weren't rolling.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 3051 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How about some other pairs of albums where the 2nd one is considered a pale copy?

Sparks - KMH and P (1974)
Bowie - Low and Heroes (1977)
Blur - Parklife and Great Escape (1994/5)
Tindersticks - 1 and 2 (1993/95
Tin Machine - 1 and 2 (1989/91)

Are Queen 1 and Queen 2 a pair? If so they buck the trend where the second one is better.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2097 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Indeed. By the 80s it was all business. They were working separately, had separate limos to the gig, and separate dressing rooms. They never hung out socially unless it was after a gig.

But hey, it was after a solid decade of work to climb up to the top. Once you get there, there's only one place to go. And relationships tend to go with it.

We've seen the 1977 backstage and studio footage, and the One Vision studio footage. But if there was footage from 1982 or 83, I bet it'd paint a different picture. There's probably a good reason why the cameras weren't rolling.

This ^^^

Although we should also bare in mind that as the tour budgets increased so did the opportunities to "live" on tour less as a group of people and more as individuals making the experience as comfortable and or fun as possible.

Freddie's circle of friends etc could fill a limo without any other band members!

So yes there was defiantly an element of them not being as close as they once were, but also an element of practicality

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Until the last year....then I think they got close again and worked together. You could hear the results on Innuendo, really good album. Especially the title track. Vintage Queen all over again. It was all about the music again and It showed.

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1267 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ANATO and ADATR are like having 'Sgt Pepper' and 'Abbey Road' back-to-back. 1A and 1B as far as quality, each exceptional in their own rite.

I think back to the day, and the one thing that stood out on ADATR was no 'medley' or crossfades or instant transition from one tune to another.

Personal tastes: I love side one of Queen II, sides two of SHA, ANATO, and NOTW.....but side two of ADATR always gets the nod as my favorite album side.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3457 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote:

How about some other pairs of albums where the 2nd one is considered a pale copy?

Sparks - KMH and P (1974)
Bowie - Low and Heroes (1977)
Blur - Parklife and Great Escape (1994/5)
Tindersticks - 1 and 2 (1993/95
Tin Machine - 1 and 2 (1989/91)

Are Queen 1 and Queen 2 a pair? If so they buck the trend where the second one is better.

Bon Jovi - Sluppery When Wet / New Jersey. You can almost translate each track over from one to the other!

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How are Queen 1 and 2 a pair? They sound nothing alike. Queen 1 is a Cream/Zep influence. Straight forward hard rock record. QUEEN 2 Was originally named "over the top" for a reason.

dysan

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 20:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeh lol

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5061 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 18, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

Bon Jovi - Sluppery When Wet

I prefer that name to the original title :)

Slappery When Wet is also good.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 18, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RTB said that relations were not very good during the making of Jazz and there was a lot of separatism.

dysan

Posted: 06 Jan 18, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Away from home and too much coke will do that. Perhaps that's why it's their first truly insane album?