Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Best introductory album?

forum rss feed
Author

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 2774 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Side A of Live Killers is a great intro to the band.

Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This might be a surprising choice, but please read my reasons: The Works (if the person in question is used to mainstream radio pop, re: age-comment)

This album has everything Queen is famous for in an easy-to-absorb-form.

- radio-friendly pop-rock with catchy melodies (Radio Ga Ga, I Want to Break Free, Keep Passing the Open Windows)

- heavier rock (Hammer to Fall, although a live version would be better, Tear it Up)

- classic rock'n'roll (Man on the Prowl, I Go Crazy)

- piano ballad (It's a Hard Life)

- acoustic guitar ballad (Is This the World We Created)

- some weird stuff Queen always pulled off (machines)

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 19941 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ I see where you're coming from, but there are just too many duff tracks.

Why not just do Greatest Hits if you can get all the best songs here but also with I Want It All instead of Tear It Up, and Crazy instead of Man On The Prowl?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sheldon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought the fun was in not choosing GH albums :D But even if included it would be difficult. If you choose GH1, the songs might be too "old" and the pop-rock (which is extremely important outside of the US) aspect will be lost and if you choose GH2, you will loose the essential Queen-sounding songs. But of course, not many of those on the Works either.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3305 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Depends what they like....If they like classic Rock like The Who or perhaps even Metal but they only know Queen hits and want more, I'll go with SHA and ANATO, even Queen 1. The heaviest album they did. .If they like radio pop/rock I'll go with The Game.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6815 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheldon wrote:

I thought the fun was in not choosing GH albums

Exactly, especially when you consider they were far more than just the hits.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It drives me crazy when people say they were only a hits band.....non die hard fans that I know have mentioned the non hits as their favorites, songs like prophet song, It's late, Dragon Attack, Sheer Heart Attack.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 2774 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 18, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Make a Queen mixtape of your favourite songs. Your friend will love the time you put in and might put out for you xxxx

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 637 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 01:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mixtape? Lol what era are you living in?!!!

Wish I still had my Walkman... maybe I do actually. Project for this weekend!

Today it’s a f**kin Spotify playlist - today sucks.

I used to love making mixtapes and burn mixed cds. My free time went out the window not too long after I assumed a mortgage :-(

NastyQueenie74 user not visiting Queenzone.com
NastyQueenie74
Bohemian: 107 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they're interested in further listening, I'd be willing to make a Queen 1-The Game compilation CD.

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote:

Britpop, dude. When the world wanted to be in swinging mid-90s London.

Actually I was referring to both Grunge + Britpop

we got Superunknown, Nevermind & In Utero, Ten & Vitalogy, Dirt, Siamese Dream, Dookie, Weezer's Blue allbum, Parklife & Blur's self-titled epic, The Bends & OK Computer, Different Class, Definitely Maybe & Morning Glory, Automatic For The People, Achtung Baby.

Most if not all of the above - are today, classic albums. all released between 1991-1997. I'm sure I left out a few. Music after 1999 with the exception of White Stripes, Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend, bombed.

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 03:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

dysan wrote:

Britpop, dude. When the world wanted to be in swinging mid-90s London.

True.

But I wouldn't call that a "movement" as much as artists from the same place with a similar sound.

Grunge had a singular thread - a coming of age, a learned cynicism, a fuck you to corporatization and what MTV did to popular music in the 80s. Music videos eventually became productions with budgets of small countries (and funded by the artist who also saw none of the ad revenue). Artistic vision was sold off to the highest bidder. A generation clued in, and they were pissed.

Fast forward a generation. Kids have a cell phone that can make pancakes by the time they're 8. They think everything is fine. That's why there is no grunge for the 21st century. Most kids have been bought off and don't realize how badly they need it. They have Nicky Minaj now.

It all started with Limp Bizkit, Spice Girls, Britney Spears & The Backstreet Boys. The beginning of the end.

That music like today's was like Bic razors. For fun, for modern consumption. You listen to it, like it, discard it, then on to the next. Disposable pop.

Who said that? lol

Dim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For someone who doesn't know much about QUEEN

Made in Heaven solid, melodic, easy listening with beautiful songs.

News of the world great album pure Rock

Any live album especially Rock Montreal or Live Killers

A Night at the opera

The Game

Sheer heart attack

QUEEN II

Innuendo

The works

Now for someone with some with open mind,

A Day at the Races
QUEEN II
Innuendo
A Night at the opera
Live at the Rainbow
Jazz

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1532 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Jimmy Dean wrote:

I can see someone who grows up on Bieber and Beyonce being turned off by ANATO.

These seeds have to be planted early in life.

Never mind a rock band, I'm more sad that they will never be able to listen to Vivaldi or traditional Irish tunes and even recognize it as music. Miriam Makeba? Paco de Lucia? Nana Mouskouri? Ravi Shankar? Not a chance.

Grim this may sound, but this is from 15 years experience in teaching music to thousands of students. You have to get them early, or it's game over.

I believe this is true most of the times indeed. There's always going to be the exception on the rule, but I think you're right. Same goes for most forms of culture and art I suppose.

It certainly worked this way for me. They're probably not even aware of it but my parents fed me with both 50s 60s 70s groups/singers as well as all different types of other music (classical, folk, Irish traditional indeed, bits of opera, bits of jazz etc). When I look at my record collection, its main focus/foundation is exactly that. 50's onwards pop/rock/soul and a big chunk of all different types of other music on the side. I'll probably never be a huge jazz cat, but I do have a fair amount of Jazz records. Probably only because some version of 'Take Five' or some other classic was played every now and then when I grew up. Same for Bach, Vivaldi etc.

I was 8 when I first heard 'The Show Must Go On'. Of course a few months later Freddie died and Queen was all over the radio. Turned out my mom had 'A Night Of The Opera' on cd. That formed a really important foundation for my appreciation of the band. So by the time I discovered Queen II in the record store there was absolutely no way back.

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was a metal fan, still love the heavy stuff. My Introduction to Queen was SHA, Queen2 and Queen. For what It's worth. If the person is a proper rock fan or metal those are good albums to start with. This was 1988, so Metal in the 80's like Maiden, priest, Dio were writing mostly in fantasy music. Dragons, monsters saving human kind and Maiden with Eddie, so hearing Queen writing about Fairy kings, or Great King Rats....And Black Queens wasn't dated so much. For me it was a natural fit. Most Metal music is straight forward and typical guitar driven. What I loved when first giving Queen a proper listen was obviously the voice of Freddie and the guitar sound. Also, how diverse they were. Hearing Brighton Rock wasn't really different than the music I was listened to back then, pretty heavy. Then followed that up with Killer Queen. Then stoned cold crazy and leroy Brown. I only heard the hits at that point, but when I gave them a proper listen I realized how great they were. For their diversity alone.

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1532 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^ For me it worked exactly the other way around. Because I am a Queenfan I appreciate heavy metal. (and becasause I couldnt stop listening to Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' when I was 6 or so haha.)

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You mean Queen got you into heavy Metal? I could see that. They were pretty heavy at times, especially in 1974. Live they were a top 5 heavy band back then. Only a few were heavier.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimmy Dean wrote:

It all started with Limp Bizkit, Spice Girls, Britney Spears & The Backstreet Boys. The beginning of the end.

That music like today's was like Bic razors. For fun, for modern consumption. You listen to it, like it, discard it, then on to the next. Disposable pop.

Who said that? lol

Pop music has largely been crap since the 50s. There was only that one blip between ~1965-75 where most people listened to LPs, and most of the LPs were good. LPs and 45s were consumed by almost entirely different audiences. But then after a brief period of FM radio being experimental, they switched to playlists like AM and short singles became the norm again, and thus began the death of the LP.

If anything, today things are far better than they were 20 years ago, as the internet has opened everything up. Artists aren't beholden to record companies anymore, and there are literally millions of bands one can listen to.

The only real casualty is the idea of the classic album. Indeed, the last classic album most of us can agree on is OK Computer, and that was 1997. The classic album basically died because everyone under the age of 40 who doesn't consume mainstream pop has different musical taste now. It's not better or worse - just different.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 227 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazed no one has mentioned Sheer Heart Attack.

Side one is up there with side one of Pepper and Abbey Road.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Jan 18, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dr Magus wrote:

Amazed no one has mentioned Sheer Heart Attack.

Side one is up there with side one of Pepper and Abbey Road.

I did ! It was my second pick.