Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Barbara and Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

RadioDaDa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 74 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happystar.. There is a lot of crap written. Of all i seen i really have a feeling that Peter Freestone and even Thor and Lee in these Forums are genuine people who are speaking truthful and from the heart. And if they happen to make a few bucks now or down the road speaking of Freddie then who cares as long as its true and from the heart. One story i recently seen is Freddie cutting Straker out of his life his last year. I dont know if this is covered in Freestones book but every interview ive ever seen of Straker hes never said that

c.jory user not visiting Queenzone.com
c.jory
Bohemian: 178 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

happystar wrote:

I wonder why other friends of Freddie have not came out of the woodwork to make money out of knowing him, like Peter Straker for example?
I did read about Freddie turning up at Barbara's house all upset asking her to help him when he found out he was HIV Positive.
But basically what we read in the press and in magazines maybe false. Other stories i read about Freddie was that he had a three some with Barbara and Jim,
but i find that strange as Jim always looked uncomfortable in here company.

It wasn't Jim! Also Jim said Freddie and Barbara were not sexual in any way. This comes from someone I know who knew Jim.

It was implied by Barbara that she was involved in threesomes with Winnie and F, but why not one gay man but TWO would want someone like her in their bed, doesn't make much sense. Seeing as according to Jim, F didn't even like the cats in the room with them, when they were getting down.

Freddielove4ever user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddielove4ever
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie didn't see Barbara for 8 months (until June 1986). He went to Munich to talk with her and to see her. Phoebe wrote in his book that Barbara was in a coach after a concert (July 1986).

Peter Freestone - Freddie Mercury - An Intimate Memoir by the Man Who Knew Him Best (Chapter one):

"On July 11 and 12, 1986, the band returned to Wembley with A Kind Of Magic under their belts. Freddie had flown the New York Daughters specifically to see one of these shows. He knew it was going to be something to be proud of. He hired a coach for the show which left Garden Lodge with all his guests including Straker, Mary Austin, Wayne Eagling, Gordon Atkinson, Gordon Dalziel and Graham Hamilton, Barbara Valentin and Trevor Clarke. It was my job to ensure that the coach was laden with goodies for the trip out for the guests and on the trip back
when Freddie himself joined in. This was to be the start of one very long party. I don’t think there are many stars who would indulge in this kind of behaviour. I don’t know that there are that many of his equivalent status who would have that many friends who would come together at one time to celebrate their friend’s success. And they certainly wouldn’t have travelled on a bus!"

In fact, Freddie kept the distance from very close friends including Barbara during his decline. Is this "evidence"? Quite possibly he didn't want Mack (he told it in an interview), Barbara, Montserrat, Straker & Co - friends and colleagues who spent considerable time with him) - see how much he was suffering . Could the distance be evidence that they weren't " real" friends? Certainly not!

Phoebe's words in his first book "Peter Freestone - Freddie Mercury - An Intimate Memoir by the Man Who Knew Him Best "(Chapter five):

"It does seem strange that in his final year both Barbara Valentin and Peter Straker who were amongst the most important figures in his life were sidelined. There are reasons that I know of for
this. There could be many more. The first is that Freddie really did not want people he was close to watching his deterioration. He
didn’t want to put people he loved through the pain of watching him die and being unable to do anything about it. He had spent many wonderful hours with these people going out enjoying
themselves, giving them a great time and he didn’t want to have these people seeing him frail and tired. These people also reminded him of what his life used to be like, a life which he could no longer enjoy."

RadioDada, I read a lot of books about Freddie and I also read Phoebe's second book but I always read positive comments about Barbara...Phoebe liked her a lot :) Barbara has never said bad things about Freddie and not all that we read in the articles is the truth. There are a lot of fake news. About Straker there are two different versions of his story during Freddie's last period of life. Phoebe wrote that Freddie didn't want to see him because he didn't change his lifestyle during Freddie's last period of life (he drank, he was a clown) so Freddie suffered a lot because he thought about and there you will can find Straker's version https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/celebrity-news/freddie-mercury-cut-best-friend-9311760 .

kokax user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 33 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Radio DaDa, HappyStar,
“There is a lot of crap written”
Definitely….and crap recycles and gradually turns into “ facts” multiplied over and over again ....

Freddielove4ever

Posted: 14 Feb 18, 23:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he thought about his past*

sorry I accidentally deleted a part of the sentence :)

Posted: 15 Feb 18, 01:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddielive4ever. Thank you for that great response. Reading all these forums it’s hard to separate fact from fiction which is why I plan on reading these books from people that lived with him rather than people that just wrote about him.
Kokax- who knows what’s true or not. I tend to believe the actual people speaking in these documentaries. There is no turning back from that. Something written in an article, who knows. I’m personal friends of a high profiled family here in NY and know the truth about certain things in their lives. When articles were written I knew certain things were bullshit just to sell the papers. Every interview I seen Barbara in, she never said anything outlandish or raunchy regarding Freddie.

SmokyQuartz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 191 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 18, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter Freestone also said somewhere (maybe you tube, I remember watching it) that Peter Straker came along to a restaurant one lunchtime to meet Freddie and was drunk and over doing the dramatics. Freddie was embarassed.

For all the bad press Straker has had about this, I actually get the impression that Freddie would be friends again with him in a heartbeat, if he was brought back to us. He was good friends with him for a very long time. And Straker does care. I watched an interview with him, Phoebe and Mike Moran. It was obvious Straker cares and by all accounts, Freddie was loyal to those who cared. I think it was probably a case of Freddie was too sick to patch things up and Straker didn't catch on quick enough to change his approach and be more helpful as a friend at that time.

Posted: 15 Feb 18, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Smokeyquartz. I’ve never herd that before. I would think something like that would be patched up quick. They were like family.

Posted: 15 Feb 18, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi RadioDaDa

“ who knows what’s true or not …”
Fully agree ? I was referring more to "non-fact-checked" tabloid articles being quoted on forums, here and there mixed with personal opinions.

There’s no turning back from actual people.... Of course not.

As for BV : Perhaps she provokes quite a bit of jealousy among certain women fans, hence these bouts of deliberate distortions. lol :)

Posted: 15 Feb 18, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry, I meant "Fully agree" without a question mark !

Posted: 15 Feb 18, 19:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kokax.. I mean if B.v said these things that was in that article, then i agree with folks here. But if you try and google search BV allegations on FM all you get back is good loving things. Freddielove4ever had it right and it makes sense . Freddie kept the closest friends away in the last months because he didnt want to change their normally outrageous happy personalities into a sad event with every visit . I never understood but i get it now

Freddielove4ever

Posted: 26 Feb 18, 23:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are welcome RadioDaDa and I totally agree with you kokax :)