Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Possibility of A Jazz Box Set?

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20078 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Apr 18, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

blueroom wrote:

No chance. If we didn't get one for ANATO we certainly won't for Jazz.

Bingo.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 3641 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 18, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Geez. So nobody likes the idea of 65+ year old naked women revisiting the bicycle race poster?

I think it'd be such a horrendous thing, it'd actually be a great idea

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"
AudioSynthesis user not visiting Queenzone.com
AudioSynthesis
Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 05:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How I would love a Jazz box... but I would much rather have an expansive collection of outtakes. They could just release the QFC Convention tracks and I would be happy.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2362 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hopefully the next "big" release is a 1979 live box set!

on my way up
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5039 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I doubt QP/Jim Beach will release anything live unless it's Q+Lambert. They're mainly interested in casual consumers rather than dedicated fans , and a live set that doesn't have all the 1980s hits won't be attractive to the general public. Some live landmark event might sell if it's advertised as such. Rio, Hyde Park maybe. But they've missed significant anniversaries of those events already, so it might be a while before we see them, if ever. As others have said, the next release will likely be related to the movie -- a soundtrack, a re-release of GH, or some Fred compilation. In other words, nothing to get excited about.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4876 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whatever boxset will come out, it will most certainly disappoint. It's Queen we're talking about.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Rick wrote:

Nothing really. The Jazz tour was nothing really special. NOTW was far more interesting.

People who were there would probably say they were both interesting. We only have so much perspective from the bootlegs.

NOTW had the crown lighting rig, and Jazz had the second stage dropping from above for the acoustic set. Equally impressive technical feats. No matter how Queen's records were received, they were always at the forefront of concert production.

I agree. This is actually how I visit shows from the bands I follow: even if I'm disappointed by an album release, I go see them live supporting that album. Concerts are complete different experiences. And more often than not a band only plays a few tracks of the actual release anyway. Same for Queen during the Jazz tour.

OhioMustapha user not visiting Queenzone.com
OhioMustapha
Bohemian: 286 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My ideas were

1. Remastering the album
2. Live DVD and CD of Hammersmith or of Paris 1979
3. The full album with Alternate Takes
4. Bicycle Race poster or the Jazz album cover poster
5. An album with "never heard before" live takes of songs like Fun It, Jealousy, In Only Seven Days, or More Of That Jazz

Dim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 124 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz is a great album with all Queen elements plus new experimental ideas. It lacks on sound production like Queen I, The Miracle and few songs on Innuendo. The band like the songs but not the sound.

I believe that if it had better quality sound it would have be one of the best 70s album.

For me it is their white album, very experimental! It has middle east sounds to heavy rock, dixieland band style to pop rock.

I was listening their three single on DTS from Greatest Hits DVD, they sound beautiful!

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3344 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dim.....I agree 100%, the songs are great...with a few changes like production/sound, and exclude a few songs that weren't very good, it could have been one of their classic albums. Also the track order, all those things were fixable. Maybe they were rushed by the record company?

blueroom user not visiting Queenzone.com
blueroom
Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the album... every track, including Roger's often-criticized tracks and other tracks that are usually called "filler", has a special place in my heart... but it wasn't nearly as critically or commercially successful as Game, NOTW, or ANATO, and it wasn't a huge change of style like NOTW was. It's just not as unique as some of the other albums and that's why I don't think it'll be getting the deluxe treatment.

Obviously, I'd love to be wrong, though. I would happily purchase and enjoy a deluxe Jazz just as I did with my NOTW box.

OhioMustapha user not visiting Queenzone.com
OhioMustapha
Bohemian: 286 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 18, 22:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only reason there was a change of style for NOTW is because the punk movement, which resulted in stuff like SHA, SOTS, and FFTI.

musicland munich user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bayern - Bavaria
musicland munich
Royalty: 1629 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 18, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

Geez. So nobody likes the idea of 65+ year old naked women revisiting the bicycle race poster?

I think it'd be such a horrendous thing, it'd actually be a great idea

Yes, a lovely idea ! How about JIZZ Box ?

Munich - Cocaine and low taxes !

You can add me on FB - Musicland Munich QZ - don`t miss the QZ !
blueroom user not visiting Queenzone.com
blueroom
Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 18, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OhioMustapha wrote:

The only reason there was a change of style for NOTW is because the punk movement, which resulted in stuff like SHA, SOTS, and FFTI.

I don't think that was the ONLY reason. It was definitely a big part of it but, I think that after 5 years of making (mostly) similar types of music you'd want a style change of some type or another, even if there wasn't a larger shift in music generally going on as well. I think Roger or Brian said something to that effect in the American Dream doc, at least.

Also, is Sleeping on the Sidewalk really considered a punk song?!?!? I don't see any traces of punk in that track, more blues or country style to me.

musicland munich user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bayern - Bavaria
musicland munich
Royalty: 1629 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 18, 01:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

blueroom wrote:

OhioMustapha wrote:

Also, is Sleeping on the Sidewalk really considered a punk song?!?!? I don't see any traces of punk in that track, more blues or country style to me.

That`s an easy call for me..

Where do Punks sleep ? ON THE SIDEWALK ;)

Munich - Cocaine and low taxes !

You can add me on FB - Musicland Munich QZ - don`t miss the QZ !
MackMantilla user not visiting Queenzone.com
MackMantilla
Bohemian: 754 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 18, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

Hopefully the next "big" release is a 1979 live box set!

I also think so.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2050 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 18, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With regard to the difference between the NOTW tour and Jazz.

Yes NOTW had the crown which gave the show a spectacular (at the time) opening, but lighting wise it actually didn't offere much more, a circular truss with a cross stage truss effectively hung above the stage. During the shows the lighting was no more effective than on the previous tour ( maybe less so) where the arched proscenium truss framed the other lights which were hung in vertical columns in a wide arc facing the audience.

The Jazz tour with the pizza oven rig had a spectacular opening, once in show trim the rig was angled so that the rig not on,y light the stage it provided a spactacular focal point. It was used as vast colour washes with banks of colour or individual rows of lights or sections of the rig. Far more wide ranging than the crown. It also felt huge and quite modern at the time as no one had ever presented lighting in that way. It also set the pattern for future rigs. Add to that the second stage which was flown in, as Mr Wizard has mentioned, during the US shows and the atomic white drum riser lights and the gong lights, the Jazz tour presented a stunning visual show which went beyond the opening.

Both NOTW and Jazz tours presented a great setlist too, looking back now maybe the earlier tour wins on that because it presented some older songs, however the Jazz tour gave us a great extended Brighton Rock and the acoustic set. Both tours were great and better than The Magic Tour, but that's just my view

jozef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 151 posts

Posted: 25 Apr 18, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony your view is exactly the same as my opinion .... ;-)

aristide1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 339 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 18, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Jazz box set would be great, preferably with Hampton Hawes and Hank Jones.

Chopin1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chopin1995
Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 18, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

Yes, Freddie was gay: but he also knew well enough that naked ladies make for GREAT DECORATION. ...naked men. ...well that's an exclusive set and would alienate most.

Though i don't think they'll touch the alBum or even greet its anniversary I'd like to suggest a few things:

1) bicycle race poster/banner
2) queen -jazz remastered
3)*entire album remixed to sound decent
4) Queen @ Hammersmith -"CONCERT FOR KAMPUCHEA" dvd (with extras, commentary interviews)

5)jazz dj mat (*is a great graphic and would lend itself to this well, reverse graphic is band inner photo
6) DVD 5.1 abandoned project resurrected
7) NEW 2018* BICYCLE RACE POSTER featuring 30 of the previous models (who are still alive) in the nude with empty bicycles representing the dead [leaving critics to go WHAT THE FUU***!]
8) THE VERY BEST FOR LAST : *****PRICING WILL BE ADORABLE AND CONSIDERATE TO THEIR FANS

This would be the best box-set ever!