forum rss feed
Author

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 517 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 May 18, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Rick wrote:

I wonder if Under Pressure with Bowie will be part of the movie.

It'd be one more person to legally work out things with. So I doubt it.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2976920/?nmdp=1&ref_=m_nm_flmg

Max Bennett is listed as playing a character named David in the film. Maybe it's Bowie...

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 637 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 01:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the "1974" setlist with Fat Bottomed Girls was deliberately done to piss off people on forums like this one.

Sounds like something Greg Brooks would do. Sweet sweet revenge.

Cruella de Vil user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cruella de Vil
Bohemian: 355 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw it again, I still like it but Freddie NEVER would have crowd-surfed at any time let alone in a tight pair of satin pants!

ggo1 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 215 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian looks and sounds exactly like Brian... which is a little freaky. May take a bit of getting used to Rami as Freddie, he looks a lot more like later Fred than the younger one, but hes a fabulous actor and i hope he'll pull it off. Some of us on here are going to be too close to the subject matter to evaluate it properly. I know I'll find it difficult to overlook any obvious errors but ill try to remember that its only a bloody movie. The fact that they brought it forward from Christmas Day to November 2nd in North America means the studio think it has something. If they thought it was poor they'd have pushed it out to a dead week in February.

john bodega user not visiting Queenzone.com
john bodega
Deity: 12799 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I think they should have used the actor who portrayed Freddie in the documentary "The Great Pretender""

Pretty sure you don't want a guy that looks 50+, prancing around doing all the 70's stuff. His Freddie impersonation was pretty much limited to 'I have AIDS, darlings - it's AIDS!'. That documentary was a maudlin shitshow and I'm glad Brian made a public point of (politely) calling it out as such.

Rami might look like he should be in the quarantine section of an airport, but at least he's an actual actor.

john bodega

Posted: 16 May 18, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

""24 November 1991, Freddie Mercury died from complications due to AIDS.
Queen went on to continue their success, with a young singer called ADAM LAMBERT"

This is really what I'm pulling for! If we're honest with ourselves, no one actually misses Freddie, any more than anything else you were into in 1991. Well, I have a shirt from back then that I wish I could find and reprint in an adult size, but that's beside the point.

The movie should, at least in the final act, do away with all of the sentimentality and focus more on Brian's incredible knack for picking new musical partners. Maybe an emotional scene with Kerry Ellis singing one of his songs, and he starts crying into the camera.

In any case the whole thing is a missed opportunity to make what people really want to see : a film adaptation of the WWRY plot.

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1722 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't believe I'm siding with Greg Brooks but this thread has proved the "queenmoan" label. The dumbest most trivial shit being talked about. Do you people find joy in ANYTHING?

john bodega

Posted: 16 May 18, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Do you people find joy in ANYTHING?"

You've been on Queenzone for how long now?!

Come on guy, a movie is finally getting made that many people on here said would never happen. Asking Queen fans not to pick at something is just ... unnatural!

Jeremy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm happy for them. They (Brian and Roger) wanted this for a long time. It's great that they can be creative in whatever way they choose. Good for them.

Having said that, please, John Deacon...don't let this happen. It looks like the Weird Al parody on FunnyorDie.

Don't let them Spinal Tapp my favorite band whilst Brian and Roger sit in blissful ignorance that they (and yourself) are being laughed at instead of celebrated as they (and yourself) should be.

They've even got the guy imitating Freddie's LiveAid accapella in a whiny Lambert-esque shrieky silly tone

Mr. Deacon, Sir...please help.

SpaceGrey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the trailer were shown footage from Rainbow, Houston( If I am not mistaken), and Montreal ( again if I am not mistaken)

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2583 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Michael Allred wrote:

Can't believe I'm siding with Greg Brooks but this thread has proved the "queenmoan" label. The dumbest most trivial shit being talked about. Do you people find joy in ANYTHING?

Spot on, it's hard to believe really, but then again this isn't really a Queen fan forum, it's really just a place where those that have come off their medication can gather and spit at each other

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 722 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's important to keep in mind that this film is made, primarily, for the people who have Queen Greatest Hits in their collection. (or indeed, on their playlist...) If they aimed for the audiece which think Queen II is the best album, and that anything post 1970s was a commercial sell out, it wouldn't have worked as a major film.

The vast majority of the "I own the Greatest Hits album" group have no idea that John Deacon never sang backing vocals. Or that one of the members in Queen is named John Deacon, for that matter! Fat Bottomed Girls on a 1974 set list? They don't know, and they don't care.

Subsequently, people on this forum will never be pleased with the attention to detail. I get why people are frustrated by it, but the harsh truth is that this film is not made for those who know every aspect of Freddie's life and career.

Personally, I really enjoyed the films about Johnny Cash, and Ray Charles. I'm sure if I did some research, I would be able to find loads of historical errors etc.

Now; for the trailer itself; I think it looks and sounds very good, regardless of what you may think of the choice of actors and their acting.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4873 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did Deaky have a say? As in: did they ask him permission to make this movie?

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the trailer were shown footage from Rainbow, Houston( If I am not mistaken), and Montreal ( again if I am not mistaken)

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John blunt better than Malek
Malek is won only because he's popular

john bodega

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If we put both of them in a paper bag, and the only way to get out is by acting, then Rami is the only one getting out of the bag.

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John blunt more Freddie that mr robot

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8910 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SpaceGrey wrote:

John blunt better than Malek
Malek is won only because he's popular

John Blunt looks more like him, but Rami is an actual actor. The TV movie was a cringefest all the way through. This has potential and i'm actually pyched to see it.

"This is where the operatic section comes in." had me laughing out loud though...hope that'll be the only quote they lift off the documentaries. John singing background vocals on Bo Rhap was surprising...to say at least. Maybe they tried....but told him to bugger off after a few takes. xD

Queen-fans are really hard to please. Unless it was Freddie playing Freddie, there'd be still people complaining about the hair, the teeth, the accent, the lisp, the belt, the pants etc..

We love you Mandy!
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6464 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This actually looks a lot better than it might have. Yes, Rami looks quite a bit off, but hey, I've seen biopics with far worse resemblance in the lead actor. And I see it's been mentioned before, but Brian's speaking voice is so spot-on it's utterly freaky.

I've been skeptical about this film from the start, but the trailer is not nearly as bad as I had feared. Still, it's just a trailer, not the real thing.

Also, are we going to see a chicken beat up Roger?

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2583 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

Did Deaky have a say? As in: did they ask him permission to make this movie?

I'm sure like the rest of the time so long as it keep the cheques falling through the door he won't mind...

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"