Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The fair feller's master-stroke (help needed)

forum rss feed
Author

Nick Browning user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nick Browning
Bohemian: 257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 May 18, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fuck off

Nick Browning user not visiting Queenzone.com
Nick Browning
Bohemian: 257 posts

Posted: 15 May 18, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Lemon wrote:

Fuck off yourself if you just came here to tell me to fuck off. I hope the other answers will be a bit more serious since I asked a serious question.

go fuck yourself, and do the university work yourself

MemeOverlord69 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 15 May 18, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gotta side with Nick here. After you baited us with the Lund recording, kindly fuck off.

OhioMustapha user not visiting Queenzone.com
OhioMustapha
Bohemian: 289 posts

Posted: 15 May 18, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

heres some information

Mercury was inspired to write "The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke" after seeing Richard Dadd's painting The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke. For the intricately arranged studio recording, Mercury played harpsichord as well as piano, and Roy Thomas Baker played the castanets. Taylor called this song Queen's "biggest stereo experiment", referring to the intricate use of panning in the mix.

The song, like most of the songs on the album, features medieval fantasy-based lyrics, and makes direct reference to the painting's characters as detailed in Dadd's poem, such as Queen Mab, Waggoner Will, the Tatterdemalion, and others. Apparently whenever Queen had spare time, Mercury would drag them to the London's Tate Gallery, where the painting was, and still is today.

The complex arrangements are based around a backing track of piano, bass guitar and drums, but also included harpsichord, multiple vocal overdubs and overdubbed guitar parts. The lyrics follow the claustrophobic atmosphere of the painting, and each of the scenes are described. The use of the word "quaere" in the lyrics (in the repeated line "What a quaere fellow") has no reference to Mercury's sexuality, according to Taylor.

The song was performed only a few times during the Queen II Tour. There was thought to be no recording of the song live until 2014, when it was released on Live at the Rainbow '74.

blueroom user not visiting Queenzone.com
blueroom
Champion: 84 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ copy-pasted from wikipedia

OhioMustapha user not visiting Queenzone.com
OhioMustapha
Bohemian: 289 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 4233 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, you are doing a University talk on something you know nothing about and cannot find research sources for. Bizarre.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10437 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll soon have to give an oral

Good for you, congratulations

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6590 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Lemon wrote:

I do know stuff about the subject but I have to support my claims with sources and there are other sources that I've found that are helpful for me. The only thing I'm asking for is additional sources.

If you decide your position first, and then look for sources to back it up, then you do not belong in university.

And you've done yourself no favors with your Lund wind-up.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Chopin1995 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Chopin1995
Bohemian: 657 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh dear...

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6590 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok here's a hint - start by using Google Books and, especially, https://books.google.com/talktobooks/ (yes, this is a serious hint in case you're unable to tell the difference between serious hints and snarky jabs)

And no, we would not be more helpful if you offered a reward - we would be more helpful if you showed a little decency and didn't go around creating wind-ups like your little Lund-escapade. Because respect is a two-way street.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

The Ghost of Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 122 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's this wonderful thing called a library. I suggest you check one out. (Ha! See what I did there?)

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2274 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Lemon wrote:

I don't decide my position before looking for sources. all I meant is that I can't for example include the fact that Roger said that the word "quaere" is no referrence to Freddie's sexuality if I can't find any other source than wikipedia about it. . . . . .

Sorry haven't you just said it IS a fact. The info having appeared in Wikipedia isn't questionable according to what you've stated. It's either a fact or not. Your wording is questionable and as such I don't fancy your chances of conducting an educated and informative "oral"

Surely your wording should be, the claim that Roger said. . . .
Not, the fact Roger said. You now not only have to find evidence that Roger said that but also that Wikipedia only posts facts.

dysan user is on Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 3770 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quaere - old Irish Railway navvy slang for odd

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6989 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Frederick's comment about having been inspired by the painting and attempting to depict it via the song comes from the famous BBC interview first broadcast on 24th December 1977. It's not a book, but you can hear him actually saying the words (far better evidence than a second-hand quotation) and you can find the audio interview on a number of official sources. That's also the interview where Roger said it'd been their first major stereo experiment.

Brian confirmed that the song'd been inspired by the painting on his website, on the 3rd of September 2004 (chances are, that no longer exists but perhaps an archive or something can help you out). Again, not a book, but still a direct comment from a live witness who was actually there. Brian also commented on the 'duet' effect and why they refused to pan each vocal on opposit sides of the stereo spectrum.

A further comment from Brian on the painting and how it relates to the music (or how the music relates to it, to be more accurate) comes from Classic Rock magazine, published in February 2014. Yet again, not a book - but still a printed source quoting a witness recollection.

Roger's insights on the word choices and the complexity of the music can be found on a Mojo interview published in April 2004. As usual: not a book, but still a printed source by a reputable magazine quoting a live witness. That's, presumably, where whoever edited that Wikipedia article took it from.

A couple of Classic Rock interviews (published in March 2011 and February 2014) also feature Roger briefly mentioning the song and talking about its musical craftsmanship.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 601 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead, re:

>Wow, you are doing a University talk on something you know nothing about and cannot find research sources for. Bizarre.

Universities have to fill their spaces somehow. Recruiting people that can't think for themselves is standard patter these days.......

A 2:1 to keep the pass rate high awaits........

gambri user not visiting Queenzone.com
gambri
Bohemian: 156 posts

Posted: 16 May 18, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can you confirm that in Lund they have played Fairy FellerĀ“s Master-Stroke? Thank you
Irony mode on :)

dysan

Posted: 16 May 18, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15A0F5aOoPM

dysan

Posted: 16 May 18, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok

dysan

Posted: 17 May 18, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're a rude little chestnut aren't you?