Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie confirms Queen are not Queen if four members are not there

forum rss feed
Author

Mr Right user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Right
Royalty: 1248 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was watching a very interesting interview with Freddie and Dave Clarke from 1986 chatting about the musical Time and Freddie's involvement in the project and half through Freddie said each and every member is NOT Queen and they are only Queen when the four band members get together as a band whether it is in the recording studio or on the stage, so how will that affect the QAL fans now, we have heard from the horses mouth just what i thought all along Queen is NOT Queen without 4 band members and two band members does NOT make it Queen, Freddie said it so do not knock me.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6980 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian also said it... but people are allowed to change their minds. If you're not interested in the collaboration with Adam, don't buy their tickets, posters, physical or digital releases, etc. Simple as that.


John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2274 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed he did, but he also said in other interviews that the other three had the ability to function without him. That Queen could be Queen without him, that no one wanted to leave in case things carried on without that persons involvement. All those were things Freddie said about him or anyone else leaving.

Also on one of the DVD documentaries ( I can't recall which at the moment) when talking about Mr Bad Guy which he and CBS were expecting to sell in huge quantities he talks about leaving the band and going on to another phase of his career. When Ian Gillan left Deep Purple they found David Coverdale (who by the way hadn't seen the inside of a recording studio before joining them, Fish was replaced in Marrilion by Steve Hogarth, David Lee Roth by Sammy Hagar in Van Halen, Ozzy By Ronnie James Dio in Sabbath, all those guys left bands and were replaced and got on with careers away from the bands they were in. Roger Waters left Pink Floyd then threw everything out the pram when Floyd carried on withou him, are you saying that Freddie would have acted like a complete fool had he known (or had he left and been replaced). I think not.

And before you mention Led Zeppelin, they have a long history of failed reunions some of which never got past talking, some never got past a small number of rehearsals and some got as far as one off gigs

dave76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
dave76
Bohemian: 759 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He said the same thing in Rio in 1985. He is not the leader of the band. He is just the lead singer. Freddie loved to be extravagant but he never saw himself as the leader. To him everyone were equal members. I love Freddie for that.

Mr Right user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Right
Royalty: 1248 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The point of this thread is to just point out that the magical ingredients as Freddie pointed out is Queen is not Queen in any shape or form if the four quartet are not together so even if May & Taylor have carried on there limp career playing the hits it is not Queen.
They cannot recapture that magic and ambience that was once Queen, those four guys who were a complete unit and today only two remain but we all know it will never top what the four of those guys had from 1971 to 1991.

MercurialFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
old fashioned dandy
MercurialFreddie
Royalty: 1034 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was very interesting what he said precisely about Queen and the distinctive sound it needs and the particular sound of each of the group members. Sure, technically, Queen could and in a way is functioning without Freddie. But without him Queen lost not only the voice, but all the tremendous features which his musicianship consisted of. Writing lyrics, composing songs, studio-production...etc etc. Brian and Roger just can't hold it all anymore and after MiH it was clearly evident that they couldn't. Then the question arises: what is harder ? To go out there and play old songs live or to go into the studio and try and compose some new brilliant music? People will always expect on a new Queen album Freddie's voice. That's why, even though RT is calling that sort of work "scrapping the barrel", they should polish unreleased / nearly completed tracks from the 1972-1991 and put out something good. Believe it or not, but when they released Let Me In Your Heart Again it was played on every radio station in Poland.

If there is version of Fun It sung entirely by Roger, can we assume that there is a version with Freddie, singing all the vocals?

bucsateflon user not visiting Queenzone.com
bucsateflon
Bohemian: 448 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie fanboys are just as bad as Adam Lambert twats...


Fuckers
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20434 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Right wrote:

They cannot recapture that magic and ambience that was once Queen


Nobody says they're trying to. That idea exists only in your own head.

Two founding members of a band are touring, and for some reason denouncing them has become your life's purpose.

Keep on trolling.



Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.



http://www.queenlive.ca
Mr Right user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Right
Royalty: 1248 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Real Wizard Freddie has spoken and you surely you are not that thick to dismiss what the man is saying here.
Queen are not Queen if 4 are not there as a group, has that not registered in your head yet???
Any worthy Queen fan knows the magic is lost "live" now.
It is not in my head because Freddie has spoken and said so stamp your feet all you want but you have lost this argument.


FunLovinCriminal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never knew that Queen ever had anything magical attached to them. They were never friends really and a lot of what they produced musically and publicity-wise was very much calculated. How that could have come across as 'magical' mysteriously eludes me.

MusicFan15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see your point Mr Right but that's at a time when they could all perform in Queen. Freddie wasn't ill then so you can understand why Freddie said that as there wasn't a reason stopping either of them from not performing. But obviously Freddie can't now and John doesn't want to. Brian and Roger never quit and because they perform Queen hits why should they form a new group with a new title to perform Queen hits?

I'll keep it short: Adam Lambert isn't in Queen, he sings with Queen.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 3761 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So is Mr Right that guy quy the 1971-91 signature from a few weeks ago?

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ale Solan
Deity: 9273 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 18, 22:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MusicFan15 wrote:

I see your point Mr Right but that's at a time when they could all perform in Queen. Freddie wasn't ill then so you can understand why Freddie said that as there wasn't a reason stopping either of them from not performing. But obviously Freddie can't now and John doesn't want to. Brian and Roger never quit and because they perform Queen hits why should they form a new group with a new title to perform Queen hits?

I'll keep it short: Adam Lambert isn't in Queen, he sings with Queen.


Adam Lambert sings with Brian May and Roger Taylor.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1165 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 18, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MusicFan15 wrote:

I see your point Mr Right but that's at a time when they could all perform in Queen. Freddie wasn't ill then so you can understand why Freddie said that as there wasn't a reason stopping either of them from not performing. But obviously Freddie can't now and John doesn't want to. Brian and Roger never quit and because they perform Queen hits why should they form a new group with a new title to perform Queen hits?

I'll keep it short: Adam Lambert isn't in Queen, he sings with Queen.


Exactly, they don't pretend to be original Queen, that's why they added the + and since it's Queen music they play and since collectively they wrote over half the music I can't see a problem with using the name and adding the +.




rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1165 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 18, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Right wrote:

The point of this thread is to just point out that the magical ingredients as Freddie pointed out is Queen is not Queen in any shape or form if the four quartet are not together so even if May & Taylor have carried on there limp career playing the hits it is not Queen.
They cannot recapture that magic and ambience that was once Queen, those four guys who were a complete unit and today only two remain but we all know it will never top what the four of those guys had from 1971 to 1991.


Brian's answer to that - "People are gonna say is it really Queen without Freddie, well I have no idea, I don't know what the answer to that question is but people wanna hear Queen music, they wanna hear it done great and they wanna hear Roger & I play and we love to play so having this opportunity is great"

What makes you think they're trying to recapture or top anything? They've made it plain in every interview that they're simply out there playing their music live for the fans who still want to see them play, that it's a collaboration and that they didn't want an imitator or to try to replicate what they had with Freddie.


Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 352 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 18, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What don't people understand?? Brian and Roger are musicians. Playing music is what they enjoy and they do it well, even now they're in their later years. Adam Lambert has given them the chance to continue playing the music that has been a part of them for most of their lives and many people are enjoying it. They will never capture the essence of the band again when Freddie & John were in it and they're not trying to. They are keeping the music alive and new generations are discovering and enjoying listening to them. Fucken good on them I say and I hope it continues for a few more years yet. Whether you like Adam Lambert or not he's one of the few who can do these songs somewhat justice. We all know he's not Freddie. Fucken let them live their lives how they want and enjoy playing music.

Mr Right user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Right
Royalty: 1248 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 18, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yous people are missing the point here, what Freddie was saying is that the Queen sound would never be maintained if all four members were not present ,
Again he stipulates that Queen only exists when the band members perform together, that sound those harmonies etc........
Yes we know May & Taylor remain defiant by calling the band Queen but really that is a false representation as all 4 members are not on that stage.
They keep the name Queen because it is a money making name people know, but physically it certainly is not Queen as we knew them.
Freddie is correct in what he says and if you disagree then that is your problem.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 9132 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 18, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ugh...keep searching little boy.
Just don't open a goddamn thread every time you think you have so-called proof that Q+AL shouldn't exist.
SPOILER ALERT: You will never find it, nor will your bitching ever stop them from performing together.

Get over it.


We love you Mandy!
Thistle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3545 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 18, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Right wrote:

Yous people are missing the point here, what Freddie was saying is that the Queen sound would never be maintained if all four members were not present ,
Again he stipulates that Queen only exists when the band members perform together, that sound those harmonies etc........
Yes we know May & Taylor remain defiant by calling the band Queen but really that is a false representation as all 4 members are not on that stage.
They keep the name Queen because it is a money making name people know, but physically it certainly is not Queen as we knew them.
Freddie is correct in what he says and if you disagree then that is your problem.



You are being selective, you twat. You have given ONE quote that Freddie said ONCE, yet choose to ignore the concrete evidence that people have countered you with - also quotes from Freddie and the rest of the band.

Freddie might have said that, once. He might have meant it at he time, i.e that whilst 4 members existed, those 4 members would be Queen. He didn't say that the band couldn't ever exist without him when he was gone.

What he said could have been tongue-in-cheek, as he was known for a sharp sense of humour. It could even have been a quick answer to satisfy a line of questioning at the time.

Thing is, people sometimes say things that they mean at the time, but later change their minds. Some people just rip the piss.

Taking ONE quote and using it to suit your (extremely tedious) agenda, whilst others have shown you concrete counters that were said AFTER that, shows how much you just don't get.

You're slow and repetitive. Give it a rest now.


Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 409 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 18, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The band uses the Queen name but it isn't Queen.