Author

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2784 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

spiralstatic wrote:

Inspired wrote:

I thought Roger hated disco as he moaned at "Hot Space" ?

I find it interesting that Roger hated Hot Space, because Fun It is definitely (in my opinion) the most Hot-Space-y pre-Hot Space track Queen did. Maybe that's why he hated it? He sort of brought funk to the band, then they took it and ran with it (into a wall) & he regretted starting that off in the first place??? I'm not a fan of the track myself, but it isn't my least favourite on Jazz.

In the late 70's early 80's several bands dipped their toes in the funk/disco pool. Kiss, The Rolling Stones. . . Sparks and more. They did so while still sounding true (production/arrangement and sound wise) to what their fans expected. Fun It went down that route and still sounded like Queen performing a Queen song

Bites The Dust at the time took things further away from sounding like Queen and then certain songs on Hot Space went even further than that adding horns and synth Bass lines. . . . Taking things maybe too far down that road for some fans and band members. Remember looking back these songs sound different to how the perceived difference sounded and felt at the time.

If you put yourself in 1978 looking ahead to how some songs on Hot Space sounded it maybe becomes easier to understand Roger's apparent dislike of Hot Space despite introducing funk to the band.

Jazz+ user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jazz+
Deity: 2581 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 19, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Taylor is a hypocrite bringing funk / disco to Queen world then slagging off Hot Space. He needs to get his priorities in order.

Topps user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great song. Rogers songs between Sheer Heart Attack album and Jazz were all brilliant. Especially Drowse and More Of that Jazz!!

Vocal harmony

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Taylor is a hypocrite bringing funk / disco to Queen world then slagging off Hot Space. He needs to get his priorities in order.

You've already made that point . . .

If you read my post (again) I don't think it's hypocritical of Roger to voice an opinion on the band's direction on that album.

Queen through out their career produced their own take on different musical styles. Fun It was very much a song in the Queen style of the time which carried a funk/disco influence. As I said before it still sounded like Queen.

By Hot Space they went much further down that road and let the style of music dictate how it should be recorded, almost almost forgetting their sound, jumping on the band wagon of that style of music, certain band members or maybe Mack steered the sound (and style) a long way from sounding like Queen.

Roger didn't like it, Brian although more supportive of the album wasn't keen. Roger introducing a style of music to the band is very different to what they released in 1982.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5653 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure Fun It is in the same style as the funk of Hot Space. Probably closer to the New Wave cool as perfected on Coming Soon. And I say that hating Fun It, but loving Coming Soon.

Vocal harmony

Posted: 14 Jun 19, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^^^ Which is what I was saying.

Roger may have introduced "funk" into the Queen catalogue but it was a million miles from anything they did on Hot Space

dysan

Posted: 14 Jun 19, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I think you're right.

Jazz+

Posted: 16 Jun 19, 09:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal Harmony: Everything they recorded sounded like Queen because it was Queen pure and simple.
Hot Space was a great album and as Freddie said it would be pointless putting out another Day at The Races or Night At The Opera, they had to move on with new material and styles of sound.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5765 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 19, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Vocal Harmony: Everything they recorded sounded like Queen because it was Queen pure and simple.
Hot Space was a great album and as Freddie said it would be pointless putting out another Day at The Races or Night At The Opera, they had to move on with new material and styles of sound.

Yeah, that explains why it was so successful and popular ...

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
dysan

Posted: 16 Jun 19, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space is too sexy for it's shirt.
It's so sexy it hurts.

Vocal harmony

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

I actually like Hot Space, but I don't see how you can say that the disco/funk elements sound very obviously Queen like. The production and musical choices sound like a cross between Micheal Jackson and Rick James more than Queen.

The fact it didn't sound like Queen is the reason it didn't get a great reaction from a lot of fans.

Freddie's comments about not putting out another Night At The Opera or A Day At The Races were said in defence of an album even he realised was chancy, they already had a history of each album not repeating what came before and they'd already moved away from that 75/76 period.

dysan

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 17:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The reason the fanbase (generally I mean) have a problem with it is because they would run to the hills covering their bottoms shouting POOFTER!!! at the mere mention of homosexuality. Discuss.

dysan

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember the other day making a joke about a new vacuum cleaner at work - 'I expected to come back in and you'd all be in frocks singing I Want The Break Free' and mimed hoovering. One perfectly normal chap looked at me and said 'we don't want any of that shit' and genuinely looked disgusted at the thought of frocks and gayness.

Jazz+

Posted: 18 Jun 19, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal Harmony Freddie explained why Queen put out different styles of music it is because they attract different record buyers and Freddie said he loved that. Getting the music across to a different audience keeps Queen fresh and hungry for more success.

dysan

Posted: 18 Jun 19, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think money drove their hunger for success.