Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Bohemian Rhapsody: What the haters didn't get

forum rss feed
Author

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 19, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Poor Grammar wrote:

Being a huge success, it doesn't stop Bohemian Rhapsody being hated by some Queen fans. Everyone here gave their opinions about the movie, but very few people actually did some research about that film. There are some elements the haters on this board didn't get. Of course, you have every right to not like the movie, but it is annoying to read mistruths on a Queen forum.

First, Brian May and Roger Taylor have been blamed for every single flaw of the script and sometimes montage (someone almost blamed Brian for the singing-along during Hammer To Fall). Is this board and a huge part of the internet, they are rumored to be the executive producers of Bohemian Rhapsody movie.
BUT, they are actually NOT. They are not co-producers either. They are executive MUSIC producers, which is something completely different. It's unfair to blame the music producers for what you consider to be script flaws. As far as I know, John Williams was never blamed for the existence of Jar Jar Binks, so why is May blamed for everything in Bo Rhap?

Then, there are a few people here believing that Brian said the movie was factually accurate. But he never said that, in fact he said the opposite.
Brian May: "It's not really about the facts so much." http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/nhknewsline/backstories/brianmay/index.html

The changes of facts were also not commanded by Brian. Graham King said: "I told May, ‘We’re making a film, not a documentary’".

In the movie Freddie doesn't break up the band, Roger does. In fact, Freddie says he doesn't want Queen to stop and he doesn't leave the band, but his bandmates are pissed off and decide to split-up. There is something else you guys missed.
If you were in a "Roger did a solo project first" mood, you forgot about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epki8NAbWg
Yes, it is Freddie having a solo project in 1973. Though Brian and Roger appear on the a-side (as well as Taylor appears on Star Fleet and May, Deacon and Mercury appear on Strange Frontier), they don't appear on the b-side, hence why this single is considered as a Freddie release. And there is something else you didn't notice.
What you didn't notice is that the band get pissed when Freddie tells them "I signed a deal with CBS". In fact, Freddie was indeed the first to sign a deal for a solo project outside EMI. And he was also the first who wanted his project to be more successful than the "last Queen album". Plus at the time, it was a common thing for singers to release a solo album and become more successful than their band (Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel, Sting...).

About the "We haven't played together in years" line, they didn't perform live between november 1982 and september 1984. Almost 2 years. Though Live Aid was the very last concert of The Works era, it seems to be placed at the very begining of the tour in the movie. Is that really a big deal? Plus, in real life they really had to rehearse and get trained because of the "more than one month break" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3MtdSka8xE&feature=youtu.be&t=60

About May, Taylor and Deacon being portrayed as saints who went home to their families and never used drugs, can you name one scandalous event due to their drugs use in the 1970-1985 period? Plus, Roger's girlfriends are not hidden in the movie at all. He is clearly shown as a womanizer. Freddie even jokes about it twice in the movie. And in reality, Brian and John happened to bring their wife and kids on tour with them, so portraying them as family men is not too far away from the truth.

About the depiction of Deacon, his contribution is not erased and he is not shown as a loser. Aside from Freddie, John's contribution is the most respected one. He is credited as the writer of YRMBF, SYW, AOBTD and IWTBF, while Brian is only credited for WWRY and SL (not named), and Roger for IMILWMC. The movie credits Deacy on twice more songs than Brian. About the depiction as a loser, the only thing that can indicate that is a "lack" of dialogue. But in fact, John used to describe himself as "the quiet one" of the band, and wasn't talking much in band's interviews. In a 2 hours movie, Joe Mazzello almost had more dialogues than John Deacon in 25 years.

About the press conference scene, why all the hate? It's personally one of my favourites. The love story of Queen and the press being outlined in 3 minutes. I think some of you missed the point of this scene. I believe it was not about showing Freddie not being polite with the press, but to show how the press was nasty to Queen and specially to Freddie. And it does it very well.

About the Fat Bottomed Girls scene, it was not only meant to show Queen perform live in 1974, it also shows Freddie questioning his sexuality. He is dating Mary, everyone believes he is heterosexual, but inside he knows he is not.

About the "begging" scene, he doesn't ask to go back to the band. Though that scene might be a bit exagerated, in the middle of the movie the band rejected Paul Prenter and Freddie wanted Prenter in his life. He didn't listen to his bandmates. In that scene, he apologised for this and showed how humble he was. That's how I see it.

Before someone brings up some useless movie critics, I would like to conclude with a Freddie Mercury quote from a 1981 Rolling Stone article: "What do I think about critics? I think they're a bunch of sh*ts".

With love.


is there a summary?

Dougie 4 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 19, 04:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People are allowed to have their opinion....and in my humble opinion, the movie does a disservice to Freddie and I don't like it

dysan user is on Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5377 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 19, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think what irked me most is now people use it as a factually accurate piece and (from a zero start) they have now become Queen experts based on one watch.

So when I tell them it was actually loaded with inaccuracies (most of which I accept as necessary plot devices) they say it's not 'BECAUSE I SAW IT IN THE FILM'.

We usually conclude that it was a fun film but should be taken with a pinch of salt. Like Velvet Goldmine. And I put myself in my own position when I first saw The Doors in 1991. I knew next to nothing about them but liked the 'Best Of'. I now am expert level on The Doors and see the film wasn't too accurate. But unlike BR - the lay person could tell when the film was in a 'fantasy' sequence. Like when Wayne & Garth turned up and met Jim in the Desert. Or was that Waynes World?

But I do stand by my original opinion (expressed in my live commentary thread) that Rami is only good in about 2 or 3 scenes. I don't think that was his fault though. Strange editing and wardrobe. BM and JD are spot on throughout. I can't believe some of John's expressions. Excellent. RT: problematic.

dysan user is on Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5377 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 19, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mean, this one will run and run.

dysan user is on Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5377 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 19, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of the bits that should've featured more in the film - like the fantasy / explainer bits in Velvet Goldmine. The camera sweep at around :30 should've been way closer to the crowd to hide lame stage and cut quickly to Brian or roger to punctuate the music and hid the clumsiness of Rami's movements. Should've cut to the stage with the explosions you hear on the soundtrack but, again, are lazily not actually present on the stage.

Mr. Poor Grammar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 19, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi k-m

k-m wrote:

Larry Lurex - who cares? We all know what it was like, so Roger was definitely the first one to go solo.


Larry Lurex was a Freddie project outside Queen. Yes it was released a few weeks before the debut album, but it is still a solo project.

k-m wrote:

May & Taylor executive music producers only? Well, in the name only. We all know they had a right to veto many choices or even pull the plug on the whole thing. Quite an influence.


They could have pulled the plug on the whole project in the way they could have not given the rights to use Queen music to Fox. And you can't make a movie about Freddie and Queen without using any Queen music. That's how they could have cancelled it.

k-m wrote:

Brian did say the film was generally accurate, I am not even going to waste my time looking for the exact quote, I simply heard him say that, for example in a BBC Radio 2 interview.


Don't worry, I know what he said. At the premiere of the movie, he compared the accuracy of the movie to the accuracy of a history painting. I think it is a good comparison.

k-m wrote:
Freddie doesn't break up the band? Oh really, who invites them to his house then with Paul whispering in his ear "We cannot prolong it any longer". He clearly knew something serious was about to happen and it did. But no, it wasn't Roger who announced he just signed a major deal for two solo albums, it was the Fredster.


Depends what you mean by "Freddie breaks up the band". It is Roger who announced to Freddie "You just killed Queen", meaning that Queen doesn't exist anymore, but it's Freddie who signed the deal and all that stuff.

k-m wrote:
Never heard about Deacon's contribution being erased claim, that's a new one for me. He's clearly credited with AOBTD and IWTBF so not sure where you got this accusation from.


That particular thing wasn't explicilty said on QZ. Some fan accounts on Twitter (which I hate) imagined what a Netflix serie about Queen could be like, saying this time Deacy contribution would not be erased. And on this place, I have seen various posts saying that John was disrepected, so I assumed they were talking about the same thing.

k-m wrote:
Same goes for the alleged press scene hate - really? One of the more truthful moments in the movie.


I have seen some posts here saying that scene was b/s because people would not imagine Freddie talking like this to journalists in public. In a non QZ context, there was also David R. Fuller on Tumblr who said that Freddie never had a nervous breakdown in a press conference, which led me to think a lot of people missed the point of the scene and didn't like it for this reason.

k-m wrote:
The begging scene - once again, I think we watched different films then. It's clearly Freddie who phones Jim first asking for a meeting, then kicks it off with a long apology and is sent outside by Bri at some point while they make up their minds if they should let him back in.


I'm not a fan of that scene either and I admit it is exagerated. In my original post, I was referring to the long apology. Yes, it was Freddie who phoned Jim first while watching the Paul Prenter interview, then there is the apology. Then he talks about his solo project, saying things similar to what the real Freddie said in interviews. Eventually, there is a mixture of various things that happened later (the big band meeting in Switzerland Phoebe mentioned once in ask Phoebe: http://www.freddiemercury.com/en/ask-phoebe/blog-9 + others things you already know). I saw it more as a "should we carry on?" moment than a "should we let Freddie back in?" one.

It is like a history painting.

dysan user is on Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5377 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 19, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Larry Lurex was a Freddie project outside Queen. Yes it was released a few weeks before the debut album, but it is still a solo project.'

On a technicality, I suppose it is. In the same way Brian playing guitar on a Holly Johnson album is technically. If it had been a hit, would Freddie have become Larry Lurex in the same way after studio projects like Alvin Stardust and Gary Glitter (almost accidentally) became hits? I wonder. Queen might have become the backing band and they would've toured as Larry Lurex but playing their 1973 set plus those 2 songs. A fascinating thought.

The difference of course is that we probably wouldn't be discussing them in 2019.

I often wonder the same if Bowie's pre-fame Arnold Corns project would've been a hit. Both would be firmly in the Junkshop Glam file but with an intriguing tale.

aristide1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 578 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 May 19, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This movie is a projective test of faith, not in the band but in yourself as a fan.
Explaining it scene by scene is as bad as destroying it scene by scene.

I went to the cinema determined to like it and I liked it more than I expected. The facts? Fuck them.

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 654 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 May 19, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see it would be very difficult to reason with you indeed, Mr Poor Grammar. Therefore, I give up.

Dougie 4 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 May 19, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aristude1: Sorry I disagree with you.

It is completely possible to be an ardent fan of the band and yet not like a movie made about them. I mean I am a thinking, feeling human being, not a bleating slavish sheep.

Dougie 4 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 May 19, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry I spelt your username wrong

dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 May 19, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Grammar, re:

>Larry Lurex was a Freddie project outside Queen. Yes it was released a few weeks before the debut album, but it is still a solo project.

Project; implies there was a *plan*. There wasn't. A solo release? Yes. Project, absolutely not.

dysan user is on Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5377 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 May 19, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nah project could be building a house or having a wank while mum pops the bins out.

AlbaNo1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
AlbaNo1
Bohemian: 402 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 19, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I appreciate the thought that went into the original post , but still don’t believe that the real timelines and historical accuracy needed to be moved that much. The superfan and general cinema goer could both have been satisfied with something closer to the truth

dysan user is on Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5377 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 May 19, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2381 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 19, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mariah carey wrote:

BoRhap sucks and that's it.


The less said about this disrepsectful shitfest of a movie the better. May even said that the facts are right that they DID NOT PLAY for ages b4 Live Aid. Idiot

FMBMJDRT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jun 19, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Mack's analysis of the film on his Facebook page is very good.

mooghead user is on Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 4685 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jun 19, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who? Link? Relevance?

FMBMJDRT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jun 19, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Mack = son of Reinhold Mack and godson of FM and JD. Queenzone discussion of it is here http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1527627/freddie-mack-reviews-bohemian-rhapsody.aspx but Facebook link appears to have been taken down. Some clips of it here https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOk8rjAMgL/?hl=en

Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 250 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jun 19, 06:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Poor Grammar,

Just let it be. It's OK to like the film and it's also OK to not like the film. Same with Queen + Adam Lambert. Some people love it and some hate it.

Let it be.

No one will suddenly like or dislike the film more because of your post.


You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)