Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Bohemian Rhapsody: What the haters didn't get

forum rss feed
Author

FMBMJDRT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jun 19, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rocketman whilst not a perfect film is so much better. The dialogue is sharper, the excess is not brushed over and Elton admits at the end to being a c###.

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Royalty: 1336 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 19, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw Rocketman by Elton John yesterday. Now that's a true story about the music legend Watching Bohemian Rhapsody is looking at a feel good Disney movie.

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
FMBMJDRT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 19, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree that borhap is a Disney film

Metropolis user not visiting Queenzone.com
Metropolis
Bohemian: 172 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 19, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, I loved the movie. It might not be completely accurate, but the humor/relationship between the band members and the scenes dedicated to their individual songs made it very enjoyable. I also appreciated that it helped spread Queen's story and their music.

Dougie 4 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 19, 05:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish the movie had shown more of the fun loving, optimistic and humourous side Freddie's personality. So many people who knew him found that to be missing in the movie

AlexPasharin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's kinda silly to refer to Larry Lurex being the first solo project of a Queen member. At the times it was more like its producer's Geoffrey Cable's project and Queen members, including Freddie, were more like used as "sessions musicians" on the recording. It wasn't really meant to launch Freddie's solo career, now was it?

I do agree though that people using argument "Roger went solo first!" do not understand the contextual difference between odd solo project by a drummer and a solo project by a frontman. They are clearly perceived differently by general public. Roger's solo album is not a sign of band breaking up, for average Joe, while Freddie's one is. And it is well known that the size of the deal, as well as the fact that was with another label, caused tension with a band.

Queenman!!

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Freddie Forever wrote:

Personally, I loved the movie. It might not be completely accurate, but the humor/relationship between the band members and the scenes dedicated to their individual songs made it very enjoyable. I also appreciated that it helped spread Queen's story and their music.

------------------------------------------

yeah great to see how good they good their relation was. Quite romantic.

fddr153 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've seen BohRhap 5 times now, every time I watch it I see more and more flaws, but Its also a new experience for Queen fans, a cinematic one, even though NOTHING happens like in the movie, its pure fiction, it is, kinda like the musical, a new way to frame the songs, maybe even find new approaches to them (i happen to find a new meaning for We are the champions through the movie, and that's cool), and the best thing in my particular case, was that through the movie i had the opportunity to show Queen to members of my family and my wifes family, Im not in the UK or USA, Im in Venezuela, and for my its almost like a moral duty have people to see other than Maluma, J Balvin, Bad Bunny and other Voldemorts of the sort, 'cause here ITS ALL PEOPLE LISTEN, its sickening, and I for once enjoyed a good afternoon wth this people showin' Queen to them, then puttin' the Live Aid concert so they see the difference, then playin' them more and more 'til they pretty much yelled for mercy xD. But even though, even by lovin' the film by seeing it as an standalone cinematic fiction, people should go and see Rocketman, its better xD Cheers.

Metropolis

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The movie might have flaws, and it may not be accurate, but it introduced Queen and their music to a new generation and I think that makes up for the mistakes. It's a movie, not a documentary!

Aravis user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 28 Jul 19, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am one of those new fans who was introduced to Queen through the movie. Despite living my life in a classical music and opera bubble, I’d somehow overheard dozens of their songs over the past 45 years, but since their music is so diverse, it never occurred to me that all of those songs were by the same ridiculously talented band. It took the Bohemian Rhapsody movie to clue me in.

Immediately after seeing the movie, I knew that I had to learn the true story. (I've no faith in anything from Hollywood being accurate.) So over the past 8 months, I've been buying, listening to, and learning their studio albums chronologically, spending about 3-4 weeks on each album (I'm just up to The Works now). I've also been reading every Queen-related book I can get my hands on, watching an embarrassing number of band interviews on YouTube, and watching endless hours of live concert clips.

I can’t believe how creative and talented this band was, how effortlessly they switched styles, how diverse their catalogue is, and how flexible and beautiful Freddie’s voice was. And their live shows were insanely good! I'm astounded at the ridiculous variety of songs - the genre bending - that Queen do. Vaudeville, jazz, blues, rock, folk, rockabilly, funk, soul...even a rock version of a classical waltz! It just blows my mind. I never know what to expect when I start listening to the next album in the list.

My amazement and respect for this band have grown with each “new” album I’ve bought. I’m completely hooked. The movie was simply the spark which lit the flame.

Metropolis

Posted: 28 Jul 19, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with you, Aravis.

The movie was able to reach a lot more people who didn't know about Queen.

And also, welcome to Queenzone.

Aravis user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 28 Jul 19, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks! :)

Boomerchick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 29 Jul 19, 03:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have never joined a chat group before but was struck by previous contributor's story of only recently becoming a fan and immersing him or her self in all things Queen for the past several months. I have been doing the same and am also blown away by Freddie's musical talent which clearly was behind all of the band's work. I also feel the movie was awful...inaccurate in many instances for no good reason. I appreciate all the effort Rami obviously put into his performance but have to agree wholeheartedly with the critic who called it "stilted, dead-eyed and joyless." It's not at all the Freddie i see on YouTube...so alive and fun-loving, not taking himself too seriously. What a unique treasure he was.

Metropolis

Posted: 29 Jul 19, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The main reason I wasn't a Queen fan from the beginning is because their songs are so diverse

Every time I listened to one accidentally I go "That's a really good song", but I never realized that they were all written by the same band.

:/

Metropolis

Posted: 29 Jul 19, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rami's Freddie portrayal IS a lot more serious than the real Freddie.

john bodega user not visiting Queenzone.com
john bodega
Deity: 12870 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 19, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Only thing I learned from Bohemian Rhapsody is that the screenwriter has a hard-on for writing 'tense press conference' scenes that never happened. Did the same thing to poor old Niki Lauda and James Hunt.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5694 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 19, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is nothing greater in this world that discovering a band who have a whole catalogue and reading up on each album before purchase and spending the time to live in it for a bit.

These days sadly for me it's more about doing deep dives on bands I have only a couple of Best Ofs / studio albums by - that feeling of discovery is still there every now and again and the feeling is exhilarating.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5694 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 19, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

(so what I'm saying is that post up there by Aravis really spoke to me)

Queenman!!

Posted: 30 Jul 19, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

What the hell is wrong with today's society? Are people no longer allowed to have a negative opinion about anything? During the last couple of years Hollywood keeps giving us one shitty re-make or sequel after another shitty re-make or sequel and if anybody dares to express a negative opinion, that critic gets attacked, publicly insulted, or told that they just "didn't get" the movie/TV show.And now even review aggregator sites like RottenTomatoes are changing their whole system because there are people who dared to say that they don't like a comic book movie.

Hey, original poster, did you like Bohemian Rhapsody? Great, I'm glad that you could enjoy it. Did anybody here think the movie sucked? Also great, it's not the end of the world.
I've seen the movie. I'm glad I've seen it but I don't think I will ever watch it again. There are good things about the movie, of course. For example Rami's performance was definitely Oscar-worthy, and the guy who played Brian looked like Dr.May's clone. It also motivated TV stations all over the world to check if they don't have anything Queen related in their archives, and many of them shared that previously unseen stuff with the rest of the world, which is fantastic. But honestly, that's it. The movie was complete fiction, but there's a tiny little problem - it was supposed to be a biopic.

-----------------------------

So true Pittrek....I seems to be more and more obvious that whenever Brian and Roger are involved we get to see or hear something of Queen that they wish Queen had been. kind of like an Utopia thing.

Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 638 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 19, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah it was the truth according to Brian, which isn't necessarily the truth.