Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > "New" Freddie Mercury track to be released

forum rss feed
Author

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1470 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 19, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

https://inews.co.uk/news/new-freddie-mercury-track-features-unheard-vocal-performance-from-queen-star/

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 19, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yawn,.......

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Royalty: 1269 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 19, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/music/lost-song-featuring-freddie-mercurys-finest-vocals-set-for-release/ar-AACxpG1

A previously lost song featuring the vocals of the late great Freddie Mercury is to be released.
'Time Waits For No One' was penned for West End show 'Time in 1986 by musician Dave Clark.
However, the Queen frontman - who passed away from complications with AIDS at the age of 45 in 1991 - had recorded his own take on the ballad, which had been lost for a decade until recently.
Clark, a member of the 60s group Dave Clark Five, told Britain's The I newspaper: "The version rehearsed at Abbey Road was just Freddie with a piano. It was magic and it gave me goosebumps.
"The produced version ended up with 48 vocal tracks. It took me years to track down the original master tape of just Freddie singing."
The song - which is described as one of the 'We Will Rock You' singer's finest vocal performances - is set for release on June 21 via Virgin/EMI and will be accompanied with a video of Freddie talking about working on the song filmed at London's Dominion Theatre.
This isn't the only unheard music from Freddie, as it was previously revealed that Queen has unreleased tracks with David Bowie laying around.
Peter Hince, the band's former roadie, was travelling with the British rock legends when they collaborated with the late music legend - who passed away in January last year after a secret battle with cancer - on 'Under Pressure' in 1981.
In his new tome, 'David Bowie: I Was There', he said they had done much more together than the one song.
In an excerpt, he wrote: "They ... performed some original songs they did together , and also covers. They were just jamming in the studio, and it all got recorded - 'All The Young Dudes', 'All The Way From Memphis' and various rock classics."
Speaking to the publication, Peter teased there are some real gems of the icons duetting.
He said: "There's stuff with Freddie and David singing together - proper full-length rock 'n' roll tracks. Raw, but good."
Although Queen's management declined to comment on the tracks, the group's guitarist Brian May recently said the famous pair "locked horns" during the recording of 'Under Pressure', the biggest hit from 1982 LP 'Hot Space'.
The 'We Will Rock You' hitmaker said he tries to focus only on the "wonderful" memories he has of that time, and revealed there is still music that hasn't "come to light" yet.
He said: "It wasn't easy because we were all precocious boys and David was very... forceful, yes.
"Freddie and David locked horns, without a doubt. But those are the things that happen in a studio, that's when the sparks fly and that's why it turned out so great.
"[They locked horns] in subtle ways, like who would arrive last at the studio. So it was sort of wonderful and terrible. But in my mind, I remember the wonderful now, more than the terrible.
"And not all of what we did in those sessions has ever come to light, so there's a thought..."

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Golden Salmon user not visiting Queenzone.com
OwO

Bohemian: 557 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 19, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm all for something new, even if it's just a different version of a previously known track.

There's probably a lot more in the same vein that we're missing.

dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 19, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Clark is better off spending his energy getting the Ready! Steady! Go! tapes cleaned up and released; they're of FAR more historical worth.

QueenFan11 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 19, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm confused. Is this an entirely new song or an alternate version of "Time"?

Either way, new stuff is always exciting. I hope that Freddie's vocals are as good as they make it sound.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 4189 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 19, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ probably an entirely different arrangement according to the article quoted directly above. Words likely the same.

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"
ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 821 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 19, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The track Time is not one of Freddie's best vocal moments; espwcially the ending....not expecting too much from this cash-in release

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1470 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 19, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The news article states that this is a different take so maybe a better vocal performance?

Anyway, I'm starting to have my doubts about it, as it doesn't seem to have appeared anywhere else, and I would have thought this was quite big news.

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 4856 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 19, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bowie 'who passed away in January last year'

Erm… when is this from?

21st Century Music Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
21st Century Music Fan
Bohemian: 251 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 19, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lord Fickle wrote:
Anyway, I'm starting to have my doubts about it, as it doesn't seem to have appeared anywhere else, and I would have thought this was quite big news.

Yeah I thought that too - does anybody know what the original source is? Surely by now there would've been an official announcement especially if the release date is in the next couple of weeks.

Well I'm just 17 and all I wanna do is disappear

Do you know what I mean there's a lot of space between my ears

The way that I touch don't feel nothin'
MrFunster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 573 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am afraid this all fake news again. Very frustrating. Queen says nothing about this release.

MrFunster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 573 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And no results is you search for new releases EMI

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3610 posts

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MusicFan15 wrote:

Lord Fickle wrote:

Yeah I thought that too - does anybody know what the original source is? Surely by now there would've been an official announcement especially if the release date is in the next couple of weeks.

If this is a Dave Clark project it may be that QPL have nothing to do with it and he’s licensed Freddie’s performance himself to the record company. Equally though I’d still expect QPL and Universal to be working collaboratively to maximise exposure if this is happening.

Therefore not definitely fake just because there’s nothing on QOL....and if it is fake you’d expect them to quickly post something to say so?

cmsdrums

Posted: 09 Jun 19, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well the official Bohemian Rhapsody move page has shared the news of Facebook, so presumably that makes it verified?

miraclesteinway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 486 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 19, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just wondering though, that surely the take they released at the time would have been the take that Freddie thought was best.... so why do we need another take of what is ostensibly not the best song ever?

I love Freddie but I think the time for released unreleased songs from his archive is probably over, unless there's something really interesting in there, which by now there probably isn't, although the Bowie stuff sounds intriguing. Duncan Jones I believe is quite protective over his father's work though, so it may not see the light of day.

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 567 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I'm just wondering though, that surely the take they released at the time would have been the take that Freddie thought was best.... so why do we need another take of what is ostensibly not the best song ever? "

Maybe it's just that.. The take Freddie thought was the best was the one that was released, while the take Dave thought was the best was rejected. Anyway, I'm always interested in hearing an alternative take. I understood from the original article that this is an early take, Freddie trying out the song, accompanied by piano alone. Sometimes these early takes are wonderful and fresh while the final results are too polished and lack the emotion and vibe of the early attempts.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 4189 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^maybe they picked this up with the moderate success of PRINCE - that bootleg thing that had been passing around among fans for years.

It also appeared at the end of BLACKKKLANSMAN

Thing is, owing to the nature of his estate and many things unsettled; the only Prince releases so far have been either straight repressings or the works that were already contractually bound by differing publishing/deals etc.

The one off with ARISTA (RAVE UN2 THE JOY FANTASTIC)
Purple Rain (Warner brothers film issues)
Now "originals" (original bootlegs/demos of songs he gave to other artists under pseudonym Jamie Starr, Joey Coco etc) - also bound by the original subsequent publishing

So it's likely CMSDRUMS is correct. Dave Clark ran the musical, wrote the songs mostly and owns the content. Pending whatever share goes to the FM estate it seems like this would be his release

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"
mariah carey user not visiting Queenzone.com
mariah carey
Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 19, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's on Spotify now

cmsdrums

Posted: 15 Jun 19, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote