Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > "New" Freddie Mercury track to be released

forum rss feed
Author

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 9500 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

© 2019 Dave Clark International, under exclusive licence to Universal International Music B.V.

We love you Mandy!
Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 300 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg Brooks did say in a QOL podcast late last year that there was a big Freddie solo product coming out this year. Maybe this track is part of something big.

Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 300 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg Brooks did say in a QOL podcast late last year that there was a big Freddie solo product coming out this year. Maybe this track is part of something big.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5643 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are those podcasts still happening? I listened to a few

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Official Video is being premiered at 8.30am UK time on 20th of June

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjt291COa0

Don't shun it!
dysan

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dave Clark should command respect for the choreography at 0:24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIstQ-DgZ8Y

Another Roger (re) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 589 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks like the video will be in HD. So excited to see the master in glorious quality again. ;)

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs
Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 591 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Up on Spotify now. Sure is a great vocal!

badboybez user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well that video was a bit meh

Another Roger (re) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 589 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you expect Radio GaGa production on that video? The fact that we get to see Freddie in HD with some new footage at this point is amazing. I loved it.

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 9500 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We love you Mandy!
dysan

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lovely

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2083 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awww I love that.

Supersonic_Man89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 303 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Could have made it more professional by cutting/blending it with some archive footage over the bits where the video obviously doesn't match the take. But I dunno... to be honest, it's quite a confused release. Really it should have just been on the FM Collection 2000... as it's not unique or different enough to deserve a standalone release with press etc. And as much as it's great to hear a stripped back version of it... Freddie's performance was sung that way for a 'bigger sound' on a bigger record... whereas this one just sticks with the piano. So those accusing him over 'oversinging', it sounds like it when it's just him and the piano of course.

I think there's still better stuff out there unheard more suitable for a release.

Thrill Yeti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lovely to hear the vocal up close. Hopefully the start of a bigger project.

fruhzs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 39 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked it, as others said at this point in 2019 it’s a bonus to have things like This still pop out. Plus I enjoyed this vocal take.

mariah carey user not visiting Queenzone.com
mariah carey
Bohemian: 172 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's beautiful

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Royalty: 1333 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Supersonic_Man89 wrote:

Could have made it more professional by cutting/blending it with some archive footage over the bits where the video obviously doesn't match the take. But I dunno... to be honest, it's quite a confused release. Really it should have just been on the FM Collection 2000... as it's not unique or different enough to deserve a standalone release with press etc. And as much as it's great to hear a stripped back version of it... Freddie's performance was sung that way for a 'bigger sound' on a bigger record... whereas this one just sticks with the piano. So those accusing him over 'oversinging', it sounds like it when it's just him and the piano of course.

I think there's still better stuff out there unheard more suitable for a release.

--------------------------------

At the the time the FM 2000 collection came out, the master reels of both audio and video were not found yet. Sure Dave Clark wants to earn a bit of money by Freddie's succes, so don't blame him for releasing this.

‘Time’ was the brainchild of Dave Clark, former leader of the hugely successful multi-million selling group The Dave Clark Five, and one of the UK’s most prolific and celebrated musicians, songwriters and producers. Time, the West End musical, which opened at London’s Dominion Theatre in April 1986, merged sci-fi, rock music and ahead-of-its-time special effects and multimedia. With a cast including Sir Laurence Olivier and Cliff Richard, it broke box records and played to over a million people during its two-year run.
For the show’s multi-million selling star-studded concept album, Dave had a song in mind for Freddie (‘In My Defence’), and despite industry naysayers claiming he wouldn’t do it, Freddie agreed to fly to London from his then home in Munich, Germany, to record the song at Abbey Road Studios in October 1985. Of Dave’s minimal band of four session musicians, Mike Moran, who had never met Freddie, was introduced on piano having known Dave for many years; such was the subsequent relationship born with Freddie that Mike went on to write ‘Barcelona’ with the Queen frontman years later. The 'Time' session was recorded in a haze of late nights and fuelled by ‘fabulous food, vodka and Cristal Champagne’, courtesy of Freddie’s personal chef Joe Fanelli.
Dave Clark further recalls of the recording session: “We got on great...if I didn’t like something I’d say, and vice versa...we were both aiming for the same thing: to make something special.”
When asked by Freddie if he had anything else, Dave replied with an affirmative, offering the musical’s title track, ‘Time’. In January 1986, they returned to Abbey Road Studios with a group of amazingly talented musicians to record the song. Dave wrote the song with John Christie, unbeknown to them at the time at how the words ‘Time waits for no one’ would be so relevant today. Starting off as a rhythm track, the session recorded 48 tracks of backing vocals (Freddie plus John Christie and Peter Straker), 2 x 24 track tapes locked together - which had never been done before for that amount of backing vocals at Abbey Road - and the final version of ‘Time’ comprising of a huge production of 96 tracks.
The video for the song was filmed in three hours on a Tuesday at the Dominion Theatre and was quickly wrapped to allow the musical to prepare for that evening’s performance - it had opened earlier that month with Freddie attending opening night. Worried about capturing the full performance, it was a 4 camera shoot, which was cut together quickly in order to turn it around for that week’s broadcast of the UK’s hit music TV programme Top of the Pops. Going straight to video, not the original 35mm film it was shot in, the song was released on 6 May of that year, and the original footage was consigned to the vaults.

4 Decades on…96 Tracks to 1
Dave Clark had always remembered that performance of Freddie Mercury at Abbey Road Studios from 1986. The original had sold millions, and in his own words ‘worked’. But the feeling he had during the original rehearsal, experiencing ‘goosebumps’, hadn’t dissipated over the decades, and he wanted to hear this original recording - just Freddie on vocals and Mike Moran on piano. After much searching through the vaults to find the version without all the backing vocals, he finally retrieved it from his tape archive in the spring of 2018.
Bringing in original keyboardist Mike Moran to record a new piano track, restoring the huge potential of this historical performance at the latter’s studio in Buckinghamshire, Dave, firmly believing ‘the impossible was possible’, eventually produced the performance he had longed to revive - stripping back the 96 track version to a version with just one: Freddie Mercury.
But the audio needed a visual and Dave didn’t want to just cut old footage together. He had the negatives from the 4 camera shoot and the unprocessed film which was being stored for a time at Rank Laboratories in Pinewood but returned to Dave after his 2014 documentary Glad all Over The Dave Clark Five and Beyond. A four-day lockdown in a special facility to pore through the negatives with his editor led to the discovery and production of this visual masterpiece, a perfect representation of Freddie’s ‘magic performance...he tasted every word’.
‘Time Waits For No One’’ is a tribute to the musical force of Freddie Mercury; the performance, the drama, the vocal range, and after four decades waiting in the wings, is finally out for new and old fans alike; a stunning eulogy to the Queen frontman, produced and directed by one of his closest friends.

I sincerely hope Dave will also find the lost audio soundboard masters from the Dominion 1988 performance and the single camera feed that recorded that night.

I agree with you with the editing of thisnew video. Man so many of Sync shots. Better take some distance footage as they had acces to all 4 camera negative reels.

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2445 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was Dominion '88 - Freddie's very last live performance - recorded by 1 camera??

That's the first I hear of that!

on my way up
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3738 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queenman!! wrote:

I sincerely hope Dave will also find the lost audio soundboard masters from the Dominion 1988 performance

Do you know for a fact that the feed to the front of house desk was actually then sent out to a recorder, or is this just a 'best guess/hope' that it was? Thanks.