Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Radiohead Minidisc

forum rss feed
Author

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5694 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 06:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I should imagine most of the masters are lost if these were archived back in the late 90s (being MD I imagine they were). At the very least a total ball ache to compile again against the clock.
An HQ rip from those original MDs would be fine unless you're a cat or only judge quality by looking at waveforms / post on the Hoffman forum :)

The idea of keeping them in the original as-ripped chunks suggests it's what we have already.

Like Real Wizard I really wish I was more into them (that said, if this came out in '96 '97 I'd be all over them). I feel a bit 'emperor's new clothes' with Radiohead. Posh boys who got lucky in time and career?

Although to be honest there's not many artist I'd patiently listen to this kind of leak all the way through and be able to spot snippets of obscure songs and know what they were / what they became. Queen / Bowie / Suede / Sparks / Velvets.

A shame they are giving the money to Extinction Rebellion. Although I guess most of their fans are now firmly entrenched in the lefty-but-do-nothing camp so will cheer the decision.

Either way, it's a fantastic story, especially the whole way it's come about. Nuts.

And makes me proud to also have an archive of about 40 minidisc of my demos and out takes. I doubt I'll be blackmailed for them though :D

dysan

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry about the BRAINDUMP post

21st Century Music Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
21st Century Music Fan
Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can I be really honest, I only know one Radiohead song and I don't like it (Creep). I know you shouldn't rate a band on just one song but I don't think I'll like their music.

I always thought the best album of the 90s (which I love and both of my parents love) is Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory. I mean it sold 5.1 million copies for a reason.

dysan

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It sold 5.1 million largely for reasons other than the music.

We think we've got it bad now - we truly lost our minds in the 90s.

And loved every second of it.

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MusicFan15 wrote:

Can I be really honest, I only know one Radiohead song and I don't like it (Creep). I know you shouldn't rate a band on just one song but I don't think I'll like their music.

I always thought the best album of the 90s (which I love and both of my parents love) is Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory. I mean it sold 5.1 million copies for a reason.

Ha. If you listened to Creep and some of their later stuff you wouldn't even think it was the same band. :)

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11226 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is technically what Queen tried to do with the Top 100 Bootlegs. They just cocked up the execution.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4963 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Muse > Radiohead

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

dysan

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wtf

dysan

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's interesting to read comments elsewhere. The predicted 'it shows what a rip off the bonus stuff on last years OK Computer reissue was' and how 'there is all this stuff unreleased' so obviously the band should release.

SOME PEOPLE.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 21048 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bucsateflon wrote:

for sure Creep and Karma Police are their only big hits
After that the band started getting hyped by hipsters.

Measuring an artist's quality and appeal only by their singles and characterizing their entire fanbase as "hipsters" says nothing about Radiohead and their fanbase and everything about how small minded you are.

Whether or not you like it, OK Computer and Kid A are two of the most important albums ever created.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 21048 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

Muse > Radiohead

I like Muse more than Radiohead myself. Black Holes And Revelations is my favourite album of the last 20 years. But we can't deny the influence Radiohead has had on popular music - it is massive.

OK Computer is a Mason-Dixon line which everything after it was measured, rendering pretty much everything else to be irrelevant. It changed everything. Thom Yorke developed an allergic reaction to the pop hook 20 years ago, yet they remain the most critically acclaimed artists of our generation. Nobody else is operating at that level. Maybe Kendrick Lamar.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4963 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Rick wrote:

Muse > Radiohead

I like Muse more than Radiohead myself. Black Holes And Revelations is my favourite album of the last 20 years. But we can't deny the influence Radiohead has had on popular music - it is massive.

OK Computer is a Mason-Dixon line which everything after it was measured, rendering pretty much everything else to be irrelevant. It changed everything. Thom Yorke developed an allergic reaction to the pop hook 20 years ago, yet they remain the most critically acclaimed artists of our generation. Nobody else is operating at that level. Maybe Kendrick Lamar.

I don't 'get' their music. That is my biggest problem. Mark Hollis did some similar music after their commercial period. The late 80s/early 90s period of Talk Talk is seen as their best, but here I have the same issue: I can't get into this kind of music, because it is too complicated almost.

Muse has done some odd stuff as well of course, like Forced In, Micro Cuts, Recess etc. But here I don't have the problem, because it is still easy listening somehow (clear structures, melodies etc.) Plus, I like Matt's voice way more than Thom's.

Burn the Witch is a stellar track btw, I have to be honest about that.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

I don't 'get' their music

This is how I've always explained Radiohead to people. You either get their music or you don't. I've followed them since they first appeared so have watched their transition over time. Very inventive. Like any band not everything works but most does.

The Kurgan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2403 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have all the Radiohead albums and most of Muse's.
I've never seen Radiohead live, only on the Telly.
Been to see Muse Twice, at Earls Court (vip area) and at Wembley Stadium (I was almost in the pit).
I prefer Muse myself, they are way less serious, yet very competent musicians, and what a show they put on.
It might be they remind me of Queen, no bad thing.

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Double post.

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Triple post.

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quadruple post.

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kin L.

dysan

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kurgan doing his own multiple posting leakage :D

dysan

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, the greatest punchline to all this is the fact Radiohead have officially released it as 'Minidisc (Hacked)' which is probably the most Radiohead title I've ever heard in my life.