Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Radiohead Minidisc

forum rss feed
Author

The Kurgan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2378 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No joke, this site is impossible to navigate whilst using a smartphone and crack pipe.

Kevin Spacey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 91 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WTF is your problem bucsateflon? You post that Radiohead is shite or something to that effect and either everyone agrees with you or they are demented. Arguing opinions is useless so if you have nothing else to contribute to this thread get lost in space.

Punctuality is the thief of time
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all hear to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1608 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 19, 23:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The 'masters' are mp3 files @ 128 kbps, each a bulk rip of one of the 18 MDs. This is a shame as it means a lossy source (MD) was re-encoded in a lossy format (mp3), further degrading the audio. Also, there are no track splits and no documentation other than scans of the actual discs. A fantastic listen, anyway!

Wilki Amieva
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20991 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 03:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kevin Spacey wrote:

WTF is your problem bucsateflon? You post that Radiohead is shite or something to that effect and either everyone agrees with you or they are demented. Arguing opinions is useless so if you have nothing else to contribute to this thread get lost in space.

We should probably stop trying to reason with internet trolls in their mothers' basements.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MusicFan15 wrote:

I always thought the best album of the 90s (which I love and both of my parents love) is Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory. I mean it sold 5.1 million copies for a reason.

Blur was always better... it just took history to prove it (each successive album was better than its predecessor, in my opinion). And while Definitely Maybe was a better album than Morning Glory. The latter was a definitely a worthy follow-up.

Oasis, unfortunately, were too closely linked with the Beatles. They finally freshened their sound up when it was already too late... Don't Believe The Truth was where they finally got it right since Morning Glory.

However, Oasis vs. album sales... look at the sales figures on Be Here Now.... and then listen to Be Here Now... and listen to how badly Noel hated it. That album helps to prove that sales figures are not representative of how good an album really is.

Finally, Oasis target audience are the masses whereas Radiohead never intended to please their fanbase or widen it for that matter. They deliberately tried to sound less commercial as time progressed. Instead, they chose to organically progress their sound and compositions. The reward comes upon repeat listens. Kid A and In Rainbows are shining examples. OK Computer was their Revolver (in my opinion, again) as it appealed to the masses with their hits (Karma Police, Paranoid Android, No Surprises, Let Down) while progressively moving forward (Climbing Up The Walls, Exit Music, The Tourist).

If you had to pick 5 albums that defined the 90s - this is one of them. (Nevermind, Achtung Baby are two other obvious ones)... arguably Morning Glory could make that list (even though Definitely Maybe is the better album) along with Automatic for the People.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5637 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki Amieva wrote:

The 'masters' are mp3 files @ 128 kbps, each a bulk rip of one of the 18 MDs. This is a shame as it means a lossy source (MD) was re-encoded in a lossy format (mp3), further degrading the audio. Also, there are no track splits and no documentation other than scans of the actual discs. A fantastic listen, anyway!

I thought they were 192kbps? Quite a difference in real terms :)

I like that it's been done like this - just a dump of stuff for people to pour over for a few weeks. The source and quality is part of this. This was all positively hifi in 1997.

You just know it will be bootlegged in a more convenient form soon

dysan

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A note about hipsters. I think it's this album that is responsible for the hipster. At the time it was all the 18 year old indie Kevins and Emilys buying it and noting how clever it all was. Around the same time they gave into their long held puzzlement of Stereolab and became chin strokers. Kevin indie grew a beard and you can now see him aged 40 discussing real ale and incredible obscure jazz records that listening to OK Computer made him see a connection between the Pulp and Shed Seven records of his youth and the dark underground of his weird uncle John's record collection.

Emily Indie now has 4 children and is married to an accountant in Oxfordshire. She doesn't listen to much these days beyond radio 2 ('it's just better!') and occasionally goes to see Spice Girls and Ariana Grande shows with her pals in the frumpy mums network. She sometimes finds her old OK Computer tape and remembers the days of staring at her Thom Yorke poster. For it was that that made her realise she is ok to lower her own bar of what she finds attractive in a man.

Hence her husband, Richard Accountant who has no interest in music, but went to raves with his mates in the 90s and still talks about it like he's an expert on everything.

dysan

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 07:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Jimmy interesting 90s selection there. I think for me it would be too objective to make a selection so agree with yours. Definitely Nevermind, of the REM albums - I think you're right, but maybe Out Of Time because it was the one that really made them. I guess begrudgingly Oasis would be in there but would argue DM captured those heady days when Britpop went over the top. Radiohead - yeah, a given. Blur? Maybe not. Pulp? Maybe not. Suede? The debut was a huge seller and certainly opened the floodgates for what came after it. These lists always have an weird one, so I'll say Stars by Simply Red just to get the letters page buzzing :D

dysan

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed - which is why she let it all go, but Kevin continued his pursuit and expertise of other peoples art while dabbling in his own behind closed doors.

Kevin fancied Emily, but apart from a few brief drunken snogs they never dated as such. She ran more with the 'cool' chavy kids who were more football and cricket. He lost his virginity at uni a few years later and never got over the fact Emily was seeing an older guy all through 6th form who worked in as an office cleaner. He treated her quite badly and Kevin prayed for the day they split up. Which was too late for him because they had drifted apart by then.

dysan

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm writing all this in John Cale's voice on The Gift.

aristide1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 595 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Art rock, alternative rock and experimental rock genres (with a touch of electronica and space rock) usually describe alienated music for alienated audience.
It's a surprise to me that people with allegedly high musical tastes talk about Radiohead and Muse.

Maybe your children used to listen this music and you empathize with them, or you are an amateur musician who feels that your playing is as good if not better than theirs, etc.
Because I can't imagine you actually like this kind of anti-music.

dysan

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If this is anti-music, you'll shit when you hear Sunn 0)))

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5751 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was still listening to Iron Maiden in the 1990s, although with diminishing returns. I recall RATM, Pearl Jam and Faith No More were "new" and big. Achtung Baby had made U2 cool (rather than just annoying), so when Zooropa came out, students at my uni held an outdoor listening party in the quad. Good times. But rock was dying too. Grunge stuck the boot in and rap almost delivered the coup de grace. Almost.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
dysan

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music returns to its primal states when it has no direction. The Balladier and the Metaler

aristide1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 595 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't want to spoil your school memories Dysan, in fact I was referring to Wizard and Kurgan (one of those rare occasion when they are associated).
It must be this beautiful music who brought them together.

dysan

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was adding to the hypothesis.

We've all gone Radiohead Ga Ga

Or we're rushing Radioheadlong into it

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjISA-FIIA

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

These guys were also cool for a while -- probably the most accessible hip hop band for white Irish guys like me :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disposable_Heroes_of_Hiphoprisy

Other popular student bands like The Orb left me confused, alone, and frightened for the future. Those feelings have never really gone away, although can be alleviated by listening to the Rolling Stones and other dinosaur rock.

dysan

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was similarly stranded on my own little island while schoolmates lapped up all sorts of awful 90s stuff. I can listen to most of it with a sense of wonderful nostalgia now, but back then, I was really concerned.

No wonder Britpop happened. A whole generation breathed a big sign of relief at the stay of execution.

The Kurgan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2378 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 19, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aristide1 wrote:

Art rock, alternative rock and experimental rock genres (with a touch of electronica and space rock) usually describe alienated music for alienated audience.
It's a surprise to me that people with allegedly high musical tastes talk about Radiohead and Muse.

Maybe your children used to listen this music and you empathize with them...

I actually introduced my Daughter to Muse and took her to her first Muse concert in 2007.
I had been following them since their early days, when my daughter was listening to the Spice Girls.
I still like Muse, I think they are a great band.
My Daughter later moved on to Radiohead, and I think I can safely say they are still probably one of her favourite bands to date.
She also moved on from physical releases, and I inherited almost every Radiohead album from her when she left home.
I have listened to them all, many times, and grew to like them a great deal.
This is how discovering music sometimes works, which doesn't surprise me at all.

Coincidentally, she is off with her mum tonight to see.........The Spice Girls.