Forums > Queen - General Discussion > How were you first introduced to Queen?

forum rss feed
Author

tempusfugit user not visiting Queenzone.com
tempusfugit
Rocker: 23 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1974 I heard Seven Seas Of Rhye on Radio 1 chart countdown,and was blown away. At the start
of the guitar solo I was sure I heard a violin. I can remember around that time going to a girls house and her older sister
was heavily into Queen. She had on her bedroom door.....You can only come in here if your into Queen.
Well what was a boy to do? Later that year a schoolmate lent me Sheer Heart Attack and that was it,hooked.
Tickets went on sale early in 1975 for the December tour and got the last two. By the time the show came around
Bohemian Rhapsody was at it's 4th week at number one,and walking into the gig a guy asked.....
any tickets for sale? I doubt I would have sold them for any amount.

dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 827 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By a good friend of mine who played me Bicycle Race as it had a Star Wars reference..........

Helena Dax user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My parents took me to the cinema to see Flash Gordon and the song stayed with me forever, and my next memory is the IWTBF video.

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 530 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was introduced to the band and their music when I was 12 and at the time my cousin Joe was their lighting director and designer from January '77 til the end of the '79 Japanese tour and then again he came back on board for The Works Tour. It didn't matter much to me at the time until I heard "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" on the radio in November of '77 when I saved all my pennies, nickels and dimes to buy the News Of The World album in the hopes of seeing his name in the credits... it wasn't. So, being young and not knowing anything about their back catalog of music, I bought each album preceding "News" trying to find his name. That didn't happen until the Jazz and Live Killers albums but up to that point I got addicted to each album and have been a fan ever since... Fortunate to have seen them twice in Providence in '78 where I got to see what Joe did for his job and then again in '80. GREAT memories growing up with that band!!!!!!!

Dr Magus user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 629 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Earliest Queen memory is the Radio Ga Ga video when still at primary school. Unfortunately it took Freddie's death to get me into Queen properly. My parents bought Flix 1 & 2 and the whole family watched them nearly every day for a couple of months.

badboybez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1978. 7 years old and I had some record tokens from my grandparents. Went into WHSmith and saw the cover of News Of The World. That was it and the record tokens were spent!

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5660 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 19, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Same (WHSmith too!). Once I had some cash to buy my first tape after a the family copy of GH. a tape copy of the debut and a gift of Live Magic, NOTW got the nod because of the cool cover. Wasn't too fussed about WWRY and WATC, but woah I had to have that! Kudos in the school yard. That first blast of SHA and I had my new favourite song.

raucousmonster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 107 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 19, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Earliest definite exposure to Queen was watching the Flash Gordon movie on tv in the early 80s. I remember loving the theme tune but I never explored who tyhe band was. Then I remember hearing Body Language on a BBC documentary about sex around 1983/84. I was too young to be allowed to watch it but I could hear the music and remember really liking it. The first time I heard the name QUEEN was seeing a clip of One Vision on Top Of The Pops on UK tv but. All it showed was the oh woah woah bit so it wasn't enough to judge them on. Finally I fell in love with the song and video for A Kind Of Magic and then a friend let me borrow his cassette of the album and the guitar on One Vision had me hooked.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 9507 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jan 1991 - first showing of Innuendo on Dutch Top 40 program.

We love you Mandy!
King of all Queen fans user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 35 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 21:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I fucked the niece of that Trident death on two legs guy.
She was more the ‘Heat between my legs’ girl
That’s how I met the band.
There you go...

All hail to PAPA EMERITUS XIII !

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 21 Jun 19, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Earliest memory is hearing Killer Queen on the radio, likely within months after it was released. I was young and bad at understanding song lyrics, and as I didn’t know the name of the song I called it the “Marie Antoinette song”. Makes me laugh now that I called it that.

Somehow this led to me buying Night at the Opera. I’m guessing this has to do with when I had money from my first job.

dysan

Posted: 21 Jun 19, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's always beautiful hearing these stories. That rush of excitement making your own first purchase and the logic behind it.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this message is...
matt z
Deity: 4483 posts

Posted: 21 Jun 19, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My family was flagged down by what turned out to not be a man in distress, but rather a hitchhiker

We were beaten and pummeled and left in a basement while my

Oh wait, long story short. When i reached the highway i clawed into a diner and grabbed the phone to call the police. But the song i heard when i was on hold. It was playing in the diner.

Geez. I can hardly remember, but i think it was a Queen song .

Needless to say, i tried to forget those weeks. Therapy, drugs, alcohol, repeating the abuse, ... but it never worked.

Every time i hear Queen I'm that little boy aged 9 in the diner again

Ah, the memories

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

dysan

Posted: 21 Jun 19, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's such a familiar tale.

spiralstatic user not visiting Queenzone.com
spiralstatic
Bohemian: 201 posts

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I learned the violin and piano as a child l & I'd get up at 5am to practise, then I'd lie in a dark room with earphones on & my reward to myself was to listen to the radio for an hour before I had to go to school. It was interesting, but there was no music I LOVED. It was more just about discovery.

Then one morning this VOICE came out of the radio. I got chills. I felt it. Thus it was, as a kid I heard Heaven for Everyone. And that voice was THE one for me. I listened to and read everything I could about Queen and Freddie, I fantasised about having a time machine to take me back to the 1970's and I was well into my teens before I discovered there might actually be some good music being made my bands in current-times too.

This does also mean that my introduction to Queen was tied up in death too, which when I think about it might be the biggest difference to discovering Queen pre or post 1991??

kokaxx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 19, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

in Jan. 1979 a friend of mine came back from a Queen concert and kept playing the Jazz album back and forth. Fell in love with FM's unique voice and the song Jealousy.
In the following months I got familiar with 70s Queen and in late 1980 finally saw the first Queen concert.