Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Poll: best of the worst

forum rss feed
Author

aristide1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
I honestly don't get it. There is plenty of music I don't like where I can understand why others might like it, but I can't hear anything in Cool Cat that I can imagine anyone appreciating.

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
That's the whole point - you can't imagine it. This has nothing to do with the music in question, and everything with your utter inability or refusal to consider anything that falls outside your comfort zone.

The Strange Case of Dr. Thomas and Mr. Quinn.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6734 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan wrote:

For me, Cool Cat takes me back to a 1982 I didn't really experience. It's largely a nostalgic romp through the hits of those days and memories of our old house. It's odd that a tune I didn't hear at the time evokes images of that long lost past. Lifting a dreamy veil off happy carefree days playing with Lego and Star Wars figures, walking the dog as my older sister bopped to the New Romantics. Musically, again IMO, It's mainly the singing and slow groove. I DID hate it for years in the same way My Baby Does Me was (and still is) a total 'skipper'.

Ok, that I can understand - pleasant associations can attach themselves to even the most dismal of songs. I have something similar with a syrupy-sweet cover of Mockingbird Hill that happened to be constantly on the radio during a spring and summer in my early childhood that comes with good memories.

Still, those are not attributes of the song in question, in your case or mine, but of our own past. It still amazes me that Cool Cat has a small but devoted following that insists it's a good song - I just can't hear it. It's technically difficult to sing, and it's a different style from anything else on Hot Space (or elsewhere in Queen's catalog) but I still think it's poorly executed and sorely lacking in all manner of qualities, from lyrics to production to arrangement.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6734 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aristide1 wrote:

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
I honestly don't get it. There is plenty of music I don't like where I can understand why others might like it, but I can't hear anything in Cool Cat that I can imagine anyone appreciating.

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
That's the whole point - you can't imagine it. This has nothing to do with the music in question, and everything with your utter inability or refusal to consider anything that falls outside your comfort zone.

The Strange Case of Dr. Thomas and Mr. Quinn.

Yes dear, that's very nice. Now go play, adults are talking.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 788 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dysan, re:

>I thought Chinese Torture would've worked nicely segued into Party at the start of The Miracle.

......or had people returning it to the shops as "faulty" before getting to Track 3.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 4335 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You must mean *Dr Quinn: Medicine Woman

I think it's the production of Cool Cat that wins out on it. It's pure swank but handled with gifted subtlety. Just listen to the demo (*although unmixed) w Bowie on it. It hardly sounds the same.

As a piece of minimalist lounge music it's really a great song. I'm not so much talking about Freddies voice either. More about the way each instrument plugs in at parts to emphasis.

The first time the keys walk at "feeling the beat of my heart" (where Bowie drops in on the demo, talking) right to the Deacon triple notes emphasizing bits in that point.

I really love the space between the notes and the fact that they pulled off a vibe with so little.

But, it is what it is.

I STILL can't really stand STAYING POWER. I've even tried to imagine another group rearranging it. It really is a mess and people have pointed out it's similarity to Zeps OUT ON THE TILES. ..but neither "rock", or "funk"

I think without the ARIF MARDIN horn section the whole thing is essentially a wreck of a cocaine nightmare of a song

"And this is the part where it gets bigger, and then here's the part where it goes down and then back up again! And then i come in with falsetto!"

(Everybody else) ..... well. ...that sounds ambitious. But where's the musical part of this, Fred?

Point is: everybody's got a different take on it.

I can imagine an alternate world where if COOL CAT had appeared on BOWIE's TONIGHT or NEVER LET ME DOWN albums it'd be sung to high praise.

Instead it's just a gem for fans left at the end of an album

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHTt!"
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5119 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Weirdly, Tonight gives me the same memories I've described for Hot Space.

mariah carey user not visiting Queenzone.com
mariah carey
Bohemian: 171 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

I think it's the production of Cool Cat that wins out on it. It's pure swank but handled with gifted subtlety. Just listen to the demo (*although unmixed) w Bowie on it. It hardly sounds the same.

As a piece of minimalist lounge music it's really a great song. I'm not so much talking about Freddies voice either. More about the way each instrument plugs in at parts to emphasis.

The first time the keys walk at "feeling the beat of my heart" (where Bowie drops in on the demo, talking) right to the Deacon triple notes emphasizing bits in that point.

I really love the space between the notes and the fact that they pulled off a vibe with so little.

But, it is what it is.

I STILL can't really stand STAYING POWER. I've even tried to imagine another group rearranging it. It really is a mess and people have pointed out it's similarity to Zeps OUT ON THE TILES. ..but neither "rock", or "funk"

I think without the ARIF MARDIN horn section the whole thing is essentially a wreck of a cocaine nightmare of a song

"And this is the part where it gets bigger, and then here's the part where it goes down and then back up again! And then i come in with falsetto!"

(Everybody else) ..... well. ...that sounds ambitious. But where's the musical part of this, Fred?

I can imagine an alternate world where if COOL CAT had appeared on BOWIE's TONIGHT or NEVER LET ME DOWN albums it'd be sung to high praise.

You perfectly described it. Cool Cat is an incredible song. I love Staying Power though, it's a very good pop song

mariah carey

mariah carey wrote:

matt z wrote:

But, it is what it is.

You perfectly described it. Cool Cat is incredible. I love Staying Power though, it's a very good pop song

mariah carey

dysan

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just like their weird albums. Jazz and Hot Space really are a welcome step away from what the casual punter would think of as the Queen vibe. Same reason I dig Party. I mean, WTF was going on there?

mariah carey

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

But, it is what it is.

You perfectly described it. Cool Cat is incredible. I love Staying Power though, it's a very good pop song

dysan

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That said, Party and Staying Power are hand in hand as album 'intros' suggesting the first part of a larger whole. On the Miracle the journey from Party through to WIAWI is great - although flawed by the album being seemingly short and not the whole 'kitchen sink' deal having a throw away like Party as track 1 suggests. Same with Hot Space. SP is like - GET READY! but the album kind of falls a bit flat because the last 3rd kind of fizzles out. Which is weird considering it has one of their biggest songs right at the end.

no_stairway user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z, cool words about cool cat - really nice, totaly agree/

speaking about staying power, did you hear this cover? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBBkp4Bi3fI

KJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 184 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I voted Calling all girls, but I actually like that song a lot!
As for the Cool Cat discussion, I have to agree with thomasquin.
For many songs that I don't like, I can Always think of a part in that song that I can somehow enjoy.
The guitarsolo in Delilah, the outro of Rain must fall. But nothing comes up for Cool Cat. Maybe they should have used the Bowie singing parts in it

I think I'll be Clint Eastwood

Jimi Hendrix he was good

Let's try William the Conqueror

Now who else do I like?
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3689 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hated Cool Cat when I was young and naive. Now I appreciate it for a glorious slice of laid back summery funk soul it is, with superb bass and guitar from John, and outside 'You Take My Breath Away', possibly Freddie's greatest falsetto vocal (if only he'd be so tasteful on 'One Year of Love'!)

My Baby Does Me is actually in a similar vein but not as timeless, but still with it's merits, and I quite like Rain Must Fall, despite some questionable lyrics - it has however not dated well.

Worst Queen song for me is not even listed...'She Makes Me'.....incredibly tuneless dirge!

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3689 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Duplicate post

dysan

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"hated Cool Cat when I was young and naive. Now I appreciate it for a glorious slice of laid back summery funk soul it is,"

Agreed

dysan

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mean 'same'. Initial dislike because it was boring. Then I grew and widened my palette and came running back to it with great appreciation.

goose44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fun it and don’t lose your head

Jazz rules, especially tracks 1-7. Gets slightly weaker after but I listen to this album the most as it’s fun and rocking. Maybe not their best creatively but that does not matter.

gandorb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 34 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Calling All Girls, and have never seen it as an embarrassment to the band like Staying Power.