Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May replies to fans slagging off Adam Lambert.

forum rss feed
Author

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5643 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting setlist. Still quite a lot of new / PR stuff.

I'd have hated that.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5762 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Holly2003 wrote:

Interesting comments about the split with Paul Rodgers. First time I've heard that as a reason. Does anyone know if the setlists in S. America really changed as much as Brian claims?

This is a setlist from Chile with Paul

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queen-paul-rodgers/2008/estadio-san-carlos-de-apoquindo-santiago-chile-6bd69af6.html

Thanks. A quick survey of other setlists on that tour does suggest fewer non-Queen songs by the end of the tour; but it does seem an odd reason and the wording suggests some reading between the lines is needed. Firstly, the story has always been that when they started collaborating as Queen+ Rodgers wanted an all-Queen set, and B&R insisted that Rodgers's stuff should get a good airing. So far so good, as that tallies with part of what Brian
said in the interview. So why then would Rodgers object when fewer of his songs were played, when it was his original idea to play none at all? Maybe he changed his mind over time. Maybe it's an ego thing. But IMO it does seem a bit unlikely. Brian's comment "Paul needs to get back to his own career” seems a bit terse, even though he said it was by mutual consent. Rodgers has since said something similar but different in an important way: he said that they had accomplished everything they set out to do and there was nothing else to achieve. That very media-friendly wording suggests to me something being held back. It's been mentioned on here by someone "in the know" that they had a bust up towards the end of the tour in part because of Rodgers' not bothering to learn the words to songs and using a teleprompter extensively (which perhaps also explains why his phrasing and tempo was often out of step with the band, and also why he never sung the same song the same way from night to night). It was also suggested that Rodgers, Taylor and May weren't getting on together, that they used separate dressing rooms, had two "camps" etc. I suppose in the overall; scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but it's always fascinated me.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2083 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

rockchic65 wrote:

Holly2003 wrote:

Interesting comments about the split with Paul Rodgers. First time I've heard that as a reason. Does anyone know if the setlists in S. America really changed as much as Brian claims?

This is a setlist from Chile with Paul

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queen-paul-rodgers/2008/estadio-san-carlos-de-apoquindo-santiago-chile-6bd69af6.html

Thanks. A quick survey of other setlists on that tour does suggest fewer non-Queen songs by the end of the tour; but it does seem an odd reason and the wording suggests some reading between the lines is needed. Firstly, the story has always been that when they started collaborating as Queen+ Rodgers wanted an all-Queen set, and B&R insisted that Rodgers's stuff should get a good airing. So far so good, as that tallies with part of what Brian
said in the interview. So why then would Rodgers object when fewer of his songs were played, when it was his original idea to play none at all? Maybe he changed his mind over time. Maybe it's an ego thing. But IMO it does seem a bit unlikely. Brian's comment "Paul needs to get back to his own career” seems a bit terse, even though he said it was by mutual consent. Rodgers has since said something similar but different in an important way: he said that they had accomplished everything they set out to do and there was nothing else to achieve. That very media-friendly wording suggests to me something being held back. It's been mentioned on here by someone "in the know" that they had a bust up towards the end of the tour in part because of Rodgers' not bothering to learn the words to songs and using a teleprompter extensively (which perhaps also explains why his phrasing and tempo was often out of step with the band, and also why he never sung the same song the same way from night to night). It was also suggested that Rodgers, Taylor and May weren't getting on together, that they used separate dressing rooms, had two "camps" etc. I suppose in the overall; scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but it's always fascinated me.

Yeah reading between the lines of what they've both said and things said on here I get the feeling they did have a bust up but have decided it's better to say it was by mutual agreement and keep the details quiet. Maybe they've reconciled their differences and don't want things to sound bad, it would be interesting to know what really went on but I doubt we'll find out tbh.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20994 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is in marketing mode. And he's not fabricating at all.

Obviously he's talking about Freddie and Adam in the LIVE environment, not in the studio. This should be a given considering the only work he and Roger have ever done with the latter is LIVE work.

He's talking about Lambert's voice. Not creativity or showmanship. He has made this clear numerous times.

Apart from much of the 79-82 era, he's basically right - Lambert is the more consistent and disciplined live singer.

And if anyone has listened to more than the officially released live albums, they'd know that.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5643 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep I agree it's pretty clear. I don't get why there's continued discussion about it apart from the boohooing.

Chief Mouse user not visiting Queenzone.com
Video Man
Chief Mouse
Deity: 2177 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wizard, spot on. I don't particularly enjoy Lambert but that is a fact. Give Brian a break. It's barely anything to do with Freddie and doesn't undermine him in any way. We know Freddie's live capabilities.

King of all Queen fans user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 35 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is a grumpy old money grabbing machine who has lost touch with the real world.
Used to be a sympathatic guy but since several years behaves like a Dick with a capital D

There you go

Jazz+ user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jazz+
Deity: 2579 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is talking bull, how is Lambert better than Freddie and more exactly ?
Freddie was an outstanding song writer and pianist he was too clever for Adam Lambert and that is a fact, Freddie is regarded as the greatest Rock male singer ever.
Freddie wrote some belting songs that Lambert would never achieve so Mr. May is been very spiteful and selling Adam yet again.
Hype is Lambert's middle name.

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Brian is talking bull, how is Lambert better than Freddie and more exactly ?
Freddie was an outstanding song writer and pianist he was too clever for Adam Lambert and that is a fact, Freddie is regarded as the greatest Rock male singer ever.
Freddie wrote some belting songs that Lambert would never achieve so Mr. May is been very spiteful and selling Adam yet again.
Hype is Lambert's middle name.

Have you actually read the article of the other comments by Real Wizard, Chief Mouse, Dysan? He isn't talking about Adam as a songwriter, pianist etc.

Jazz+

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

King of all Queen fans - Yeah Brian and Roger have become hard nosed arrogant fools disrespecting Freddie now for 8 years and using him to make money with holograms and pictures in the concerts.
He is very rude to make Adam look better than Freddie, how dare he do that when Freddie worked his ass off with the band over those 21 years,
Freddie wrote many many great songs and is arguably the greatest song writer in Queen, so maybe Brian is pissed off about that.

Jazz+

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rockchic Brian says Adam can do everything Freddie could do and MORE........What is the more bit then?

Jazz+

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie is a legend lets get that straight, Adam is not. Brian hypes Adam at every opportunity he gets and we all know this is a publicity stunt.
Many Many Queen fans have told him Lambert is no where near as dynamic as Freddie and Brian does not like to hear the truth.
I still believe on some level he was so jealous of Freddie getting the most attention in Queen, and having the most success with his song writing.

Jazz+

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day drop I agree with your post, spot on.

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, don't let facts get in the way of having a bitchfest about Adam again will ya, confirmation bias is alive and well I see.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1848 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow. Nice trolling there.

I think it's blatantly obvious Brian is referring to Adam's LIVE SINGING abilities, not overall talent or some other crap.

He can hit the high notes on every single Queen song live, which Freddie rarely did, and he does it consistently over the course of a tour. That's a fact. I don't know what the big deal is.
This doesn't negate any of Freddie's skills or his legacy.

If you don't like the sound of his voice or his style or whatever, then so be it, but I think it's been proven -over and over- for 7-8 years now that Adam is a good fit for a Queen singer. I've seen them live 9 times in the U.S. and the audience just LOVES him.
On the other hand, I saw Brian and Roger 5 times with Paul: 4 of them in Europe, where nobody gave a crap about Paul and once in the U.S., where it was a more varied crowd and they responded better to Paul.
Still, nowhere near the good response that I saw in every single Q+AL show.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 865 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 19, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Could it be everyone is right? If I was still 15, I’d agree, Brian is a total douchebag dissing Freddie... everyone is hotheaded when they’re young and immature. But now I’m 35, and I think Brian’s comments are spot on. Actually the Wizard said it best from my point of view, today.

With maturity, we learn how to understand Brian’s comments without distorting his intent. He never said Adam is better than Freddie. Nor did he say Adam is as good as Freddie. He meant Adam can handle the duties just as Freddie did. Whereas Paul Rodgers, who is CLEARLY a better vocalist than Adam Lambert, could not.

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 591 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*sigh* *shakes head*

The Circle of Eidolon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This thread was started by the narrowest of minds trying to present a broad view of dislike towards a member of the band he claims to be a fan of.

Again providing no proof was his only proof. Yet again jumping in a shallow puddle of an unfounded version of a perverse reality that feeds his mind.

He repeatedly covers the same subject, gaining no respect and showing little understanding of the subject he preaches. What is worse is that he sees fit to argue with the person who presented the article from which he based his "lesson" then argued with people far more knowledgeable then he.

Again he has learned nothing, again he has faced reality with closed eyes and ears.

The Circle of Eidolon has one question. . . . That is. Inspired, by what?

While you splash in your puddle you will not see the incoming deep tide of reality that will wash over you. . It will be at that point you realise that you "inspired" can not swim.

The Circle of Eidolon has spoken. . .

Jazz+

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is only hyping Adam because he knows Adam is his only ticket to staying in the public eye so he is making use of the fact.
Brian is been very disrespectful to Freddie though by putting Adam on top of the mountain because he surely does not deserve that praise at all.
Adam is a mediocre singer which any cruise ship or men.s choir would have in its attendance.
Freddie was the brains and the style and flair behind Queen and with out him Queen would not have existed and May & Taylor would not have been millionaires that is for sure.

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Circle of Eidolon is right as usual, pity no lesson will be learned, confirmation bias at it's finest as usual.