Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May replies to fans slagging off Adam Lambert.

forum rss feed
Author

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5694 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can you just quote the bit you are responding to please? Thanks xx

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 869 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 23:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day dop wrote:

Jimmy Dean wrote:

Day dop wrote:

Jimmy Dean wrote:

Day dop wrote:

Jimmy Dean wrote:

Day dop wrote:

May also said, "He’s not Freddie, and he’s not pretending to be him, but he has a parallel set of equipment."

No, Lambert does not have a parallel set of equipment whatsoever.

"Mercury’s vocal cords just moved faster than other people’s. While a typical vibrato will fluctuate between 5.4 Hz and 6.9 Hz, Mercury’s was 7.04 Hz. To look at that in a more scientific way, a perfect sine wave for vibrato assumes the value of 1, which is pretty close to where famous opera singer Luciano Pavarotti sat. Mercury, on the other hand, averaged a value of 0.57, meaning he was vibrating something in his throat even Pavarotti couldn’t move."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/new-scientific-study-confirms-the-audience-freddie-mercury-had-an-unparalleled-singing-voice/
https://www.npr.org/2016/04/25/475611808/why-freddie-mercurys-voice-was-so-great-as-explained-by-science

more distortion. yes, Brian said parallel equipment. He chose his words wisely... he didn't use the word "same" nor did he use terms such as "talent", "league", "skills", etc... he used "equipment"... he purposefully used a generic term and described it as "parallel". Actually the definition of a "parallel" should be enough to suggest he did not mean the word "same".

also, never qualified that equipment. he didn't say the quality of the equipment that adam has is equivalent to Freddie's. not once. my reading skills are quite good. as are my interpretive skills. i can probably say, you and i have the same equipment in that regard. we clearly both have brains, and a device of some sort to communicate with. so far, i didn't insult you... but i you may think i did if i had your interpretive skills ;-)

back to "parallel set of equipment"... parallel, would mean "side by side and having the same distance continuously between them"... equipment would mean "the necessary items for a particular purpose".

i believe he chose the word parallel to mean, no, he is not as good as freddie, as there will always be that same distance between them. But yes, they do have the same "equpiment"... such that they have great voices, can play with the audience, have stage presence, etc etc... and hey, while we're at it... and more: wardrobe changes, more interaction, greater sense of humility, etc etc etc (Stuff a lot of us find annoying... but is still quantifiable as "more").

And finally, the guy has a PhD... so yes, i do believe, he chose his words, to mean exactly what he said... and not what you have quickly interpreted.

You don't like being proved wrong, do you?

I think you need to look up the word "distortion". I've already pointed out that I didn't distort anything in the first place. You've not acknowledged that.

Instead, bizarrely, you come out with "more distortion".
No. Not at all. Lambert does not have a parallel set of equipment whatsoever. I've already said this, and dropped the link to the articles that you can click on to reach the scientific journal and read about Mercury's voice.

Your reading and interpretation skills seem to be as bad as your English.

i'm rarely wrong. not here, definitely not.

distortion: the action of giving a misleading account or impression. (you're making me use a dictionary for the first time in maybe 20 years! and it ends up proving me.... great king rat drum roll....rrrrrrright again sir).

i don't have the best interpretation skills, i work with many people who are better than i, and yes it's possible that my interpretation skills are as good or as bad as my english. I'm not an english major nor do i pretend to be - i'm just a lowly highly trained tax expert that reads and interprets taxation acts, legal cases and other trivial mumbo jumbo like that. i need to work on my queenzone interpretive skills where you are only correct if you believe adam lambert is the worst thing to happen to a queenfan regardless of the outcome. i understand that I need to learn to accept it. alas, this is my greatest weakness. one day, i too, will see the light.

So now you should understand that you've been misapplying the word "distortion" when it comes to what I've said.

Yes, May said "equipment", hence I dropped the link to the scientific journal. What part of this don't you grasp?

You've not read the journal, have you?

Here's the direct link to the journal: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/14015439.2016.1156737

i wasn't clear - sorry, what i meant was you distort the word equipment to mean quality of vocal chords, but i'm using the simple definition in that the equipment is the vocal chords - not the quality. the "distortion" i speak of is that you are giving a misleading impression of what brian meant when he said "parallel set of equipment"... he did not definitely mean that the quality of the equipment was the same... which is exactly why he said "parallel".

If two people walked in parallel forever, will they ever meet? if freddie's equpment is parallel to adam's and say, freddie's is better... based on brian's analogy, will adam ever be as good as freddie?

essentially, we are both saying the same thing, freddie does have better equipment. i'm saying, brian never qualified adam's nor freddie's equipment - maybe he should have. rather than to insult adam, who he is currently working with, he simply said parallel equipment... which could BOTH be argued to mean better equipment, or worse equipment... there is not one person in the world who would argue that adam's "equipment" is better than freddie's.... they are "parallel".... which again, does not mean they are the of the same quality. that is all i am saying.

but no, sorry, i didn't get a chance to read the journal... if they define equipment as quality of vocals, then yes, maybe i am wrong in that case. i used the definition that 99.99% use found on wikipedia.

Except I've not distorted what May said at all. I'm going on what May actually said. You've been going on what you want to interpret it as.

There's been plenty of examples of how it's been interpreted different ways on this very thread, by some defending May's words. Examples including thinking it's his interaction with the audience, some think it's about Lambert hitting the high notes.

I'm going on what the actual words May said. And Lambert does not have a parallel set of equipment.

Brian’s a dick.

The Circle of Eidolon user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 122 posts

Posted: 21 Jun 19, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Day drop Lets see if Vocal Harmony or her user name Circle of Eidolon comments on your post, Mrs righteous now i have spoken lol

We The Circle of Eidolon are aware that you have spoken much but have said nothing. . .

The lesson is obvious, but not to you. You as usual have gained nothing. .

The laughing idiot is no more than that, laugh all you want.

The Circle of Eidolon has spoken

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2781 posts

Posted: 21 Jun 19, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day dop wrote:

I think people already know that Queen and Queen+ aren't the same thing.
The issue is when you log into Queenzone and see Lambert stuff in the Queen section, or you have to unfollow the Queen page on facebook as they keep promoting Lambert, when you consider him to be nothing other than tacky.
I have been to a Queen+AL show, back when he started singing for May and Taylor. And what you see on YouTube is the same as what you get in real life. Harsh, grating vocals.

Sure, Lambert can hit the high notes whereas Freddie couldn't when he suffered from vocal nodlues. But that's just one thing. Everything else, Mercury did way better, so May's choice of words was poor.

Overall, Mercury had a far soupier voice and was 10 times the front-man Lambert could ever wish to be.

Is Adam shit? Yes, in my opinion. I find his voice intolerable, and his style tacky as hell.

Lambert doesn't sing anything better as Lambert's voice is thin, harsh and grating. Freddie had a wonderful tone to his voice.

Awesome some up! Kudos to you!

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 728 posts

Posted: 21 Jun 19, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This agaain? Man o man. Seen Adam with Queen 3 times. Enjoyed it a lot. More then with that other guy.

And yes He was even more special. Sadly died too soon.

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 803 posts

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tired argument, Adam Lambert can hit notes and perhaps, or even likely, more consistently in a live setting. Freddie Mercury was a rock and roll monster vocally, Adam Lambert has a shrill, tiny voice that is what Broadway thinks is rock and roll. Don't care who thinks who is better live he;'s a fantastic fit for ballads and pop, pretty poor at rock and roll.

Metropolis user not visiting Queenzone.com
Metropolis
Bohemian: 172 posts

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look, Adam is an OK singer, alright? He'll probably be fine if he was with his own band.
But nooooooooo, he tries to replace THE greatest singer in history.
I have no problem with Adam Lambert, but Queen+Adam Lambert can never be Queen.

Metropolis

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Mercury's voice is strong even when he hits high notes.
Adam Lambert sounds like the chicken from the BoRhap movie when he tries to match them.

Dougie 4 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 04:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is something about Freddie's voice, it touches the heart...he put so much passion into his songs

Dougie 4 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not all singers put in the same passion as Freddie did...and I love his way of singing

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Seems that Brian has be swamped with complaints about his precious "little gift from god" hype named Adam Mitchel Lambert, he cannot bare to hear Queen fans slagging him off so he goes to the press and tells them all Adam is king of rock he is super he is even capable of been the next president Trump only fag style lol
Brian is really transparent now we have heard all this shit from his mouth now for 8 years so smell the coffee guys it is a publicity stunt, Freddie was mega brilliant but Brian never ran to the press to tell them how brilliant he was did he!

He posted this yesterday about Freddie but I suppose that's not good enough for you.

Many of you will have already seen this ad. This new version of Freddie’s take on the theme song from Dave Clarke’s 1986 musical of the same name is getting lots of attention. I see people asking why it wasn’t available until now, but of course it was. The original version is still up there on YouTube, with 3.4 million views ! A lot of people are asking us why this release was done in certain ways, but none of our team had anything to with this remake - so we can’t help you ! It’s not a Queen song, so it doesn’t come under our jurisdiction. It’s obviously not a Freddie-penned song either - he got involved as a favour to his close friend Dave Clarke. Being Freddie, he couldn’t (like me, I guess!) half-do it. He plunged in and did a huge production on a rather featureless song, determined to make it into a timeless epic ! Freddie’s production included a big ‘orchestration’, and loads of glorious vocal harmonies, and the original video had him interacting (visually only) with the cast of the musical. None of which you get in this new version, because Dave Clarke has, for this release, smartly lifted Freddie’s lead vocal and placed it alone with a new piano track - played by Mike Moran. So you don’t get Freddie’s production, but what you DO get is Freddie’s lead vocal almost naked, and clear as a bell. And WHAT a vocal - what a voice ! Freddie poured so much passion into it you get the impression he could make you weep singing the phone directory !!! I hope this does well, because Dave Clarke is a very nice man, and was a great friend to Freddie. One thing is for sure - the world has a fierce appetite for Freddie right now. How happy he would be. One more snippet. In the new video you see Freddie miming to the track on stage at the Dominion Theatre - where TIME was then playing in 1986 - the very same stage that WE WILL ROCK YOU the musical later was to rock, 8 shows a week packed out for 13 years. And the core story of that musical was Ben Elton’s magical narrative that Freddie was the key to kids in the future rediscovering Rock and Roll. Well, it seems to be coming true ! Long Live Freddie !! Bri

Chief Mouse user not visiting Queenzone.com
Video Man
Chief Mouse
Deity: 2180 posts

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ Very nice of Brian :) Thanks for sharing.

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5694 posts

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'because Dave Clarke is a very nice man, and was a great friend to Freddie'

Worth it for this comment. A really nice thing to say because we just don't know.

Posted: 22 Jun 19, 18:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Seems like Brian has done a U turn from Adam can do this and Adam can do that and MORE to Freddie and "oh he put so much passion into "Time" what a hypocrite Brian really is.
He seems to be trying to cover his past stupid ridiculous comments over now by trying to be nice to OUR Fred.

Do you never get tired of living in your cynical and mistrustful world? No matter what he say's he can't win, there's never any winning with people like you who think there's an ulterior motive for everything. I suppose there was some elaborate and sly reason for his trip to Zanzibar according to you as well.

Posted: 23 Jun 19, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Rockchic: Brian loves publicity and hype and anything to mention the AL word to get his tickets sold.
If there is money to be made he will spout rubbish to the press and he has become a shrew business man from the timid young guy he was all those years ago, you need to wake up love.

And if they needed hype to sell tickets you may have a point but their USA tour has been sold out pretty much for months, they obviously don't need any help in that direction so he has no reason to be hyping anything at the moment.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 7170 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 19, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't mind Adam. He can sing, of course, even if he's not the sort of artist I'd normally listen to (and it's not at all because of his sexuality, I don't care about that).

The point is, neither Roger nor Brian need my permission (or anyone else's, for that matter). People can diss Adam all they want, the fact is he's still more than good enough for the only two people who actually have a say in this.

And yes, in terms of singing Queen stuff on-stage for a full-length tour, Adam can do anything Frederick could, and more. Whether or not he wrote or co-wrote those songs or plays instruments or produces or was there in the trenches is completely irrelevant - they're not hiring him to pen the next 'Bo Rhap', they're hiring him to front and sing, which he does, to a sufficiently high standard that they keep hiring him and promoting him and praising him.

Should Adam ever read this forum, he's unlikely to resign. He's gonna wipe his tears with heaps of hundred-dollar, hundred-pound and hundred-euro notes he's rightfully getting for doing what he loves and doing it right enough that Brian and Roger seem to be satisfied and pleased with his work. While most (not all) of us have never met them and will never meet them, he gets to routinely perform with them, earn good money to do it, make them happy, make himself happy and make thousands of audience members happy.

Even if I hated him (I don't), I'm aware I'm not in a position to judge. He does what he does, does it well, and he deserves to be as famous as he is. He also deserves to be fronting Maylor, as they chose him. Considering they could've head-hunted virtually anybody in the world and they picked him, and considering how good musicians they both are, I think that's as high a compliment as anyone could aspire to. And he's earned it.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.

Posted: 23 Jun 19, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I don't mind Adam. He can sing, of course, even if he's not the sort of artist I'd normally listen to (and it's not at all because of his sexuality, I don't care about that).

The point is, neither Roger nor Brian need my permission (or anyone else's, for that matter). People can diss Adam all they want, the fact is he's still more than good enough for the only two people who actually have a say in this.

And yes, in terms of singing Queen stuff on-stage for a full-length tour, Adam can do anything Frederick could, and more. Whether or not he wrote or co-wrote those songs or plays instruments or produces or was there in the trenches is completely irrelevant - they're not hiring him to pen the next 'Bo Rhap', they're hiring him to front and sing, which he does, to a sufficiently high standard that they keep hiring him and promoting him and praising him.

Should Adam ever read this forum, he's unlikely to resign. He's gonna wipe his tears with heaps of hundred-dollar, hundred-pound and hundred-euro notes he's rightfully getting for doing what he loves and doing it right enough that Brian and Roger seem to be satisfied and pleased with his work. While most (not all) of us has never met them and will never meet them, he gets to routinely perform with them, earn good money to do it, make them happy, make himself happy and make thousands of audience members happy.

Even if I hated him (I don't), I'm aware I'm not in a position to judge. He does what he does, does it well, and he deserves to be as famous as he is. He also deserves to be fronting Maylor, as they chose him. Considering they could've head-hunted virtually anybody in the world and they picked him, and considering how good musicians they both are, I think that's as high a compliment as anyone could aspire to. And he's earned it.

Well said, 100% agree.

Posted: 23 Jun 19, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

You are obviously talking utter crap, have you heard Lambert's thin shrieking voice, he is no showman far from it, and Brian will not shut up hyping him and this has been going on for 8 years now, if Lambert was as good as Brian says he is then nothing would be said as Lambert's voice would sell the tickets alone and not rely on the hype and overkill and May & Taylor to back him up still. Most audiences mainly go to the shows to see Brian & Roger and ignore Adam, but i think fans have a right to let Maylor know that they are disgusted with them picking a cheesy American idol singer as there lead singer what a shock and a huge let down.
They still remain a laughing stock and we know they have lost the plot even if they are laughing all the way to the bank with idiots who still go to see them. Queen arguably where a real band 1971 to 1991 end off.

No idea where you're getting your biased info from but it's certainly not reality. You really are making a twit of yourself with every comment.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 7170 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 19, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Well said, 100% agree.

Thanks. I made a grammar mistake, but it's been corrected now.

John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Rog didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Wales is not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 vox.
Metropolis

Posted: 23 Jun 19, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I respect that Brian and Roger might want to continue their legacy with Adam Lambert, but come on. You have to admit Adam can't replace Freddie. I would still go to Queen concerts, but it's not the same. Queen is Freddie, Brian, Roger, and John. You can't have Queen without Freddie and John. It's just not right, and it's not possible. Brian Roger and Adam aren't Queen+Adam. It's just Brian Roger and Adam.