Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May replies to fans slagging off Adam Lambert.

forum rss feed
Author

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 4863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We've done this to death in minute detail. Explaining to you at every step in simple terms what these turns of phrase mean. It's not worth continuing as the only possible explanation for your difficulty of grasping what he means is that you are being purposefully obtuse.

Queen Fan MS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Dysan.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2640 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired, you now claim that Brian is only hyping up Lambert to keep himself relevant. . . This of course is the complete opposite of Lambert only hangs around May and Taylor because his own career is down the toilet. So which is it. . .

That's such a brilliantly executed U turn you should be running for Conservative party leader.

Oh and if you're getting your "news facts" from The Star. . . . Good luck

Sparks. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sparks.
Deity: 2290 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal Harmony This news broke out yesterday long before the The Star got hold of it.
Brian is crafty and does things to suit himself as we all know, one minute he is jumping from the roof tops saying Adam Lambert is the best thing since Asda Toilet rolls and the next
he is licking Freddie's arse when the Bo Rhap film came out he is two faced and now he claims Adam can do anything Freddie can do - really?
How about writing a song like Bohemian Rhapsody or Somebody to love or teaming up with an opera legend or even dancing with The Royal Ballet?
Lambert does not deserve all the hype to get tickets sold because a lot of fans are going crazy about Brian and his foolish comments.
He has lost the plot.

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2640 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Go a buy a copy of guitar world. Read the interview p, then at least you'll be reading the comments in context.

The news didn't break anywhere, someone miss quoted Brian and tried to turn it into a news item. Strange that the press spent years doing the same thing to Freddie, and the band in general but now your willing to accept that kind of trash as real

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 4863 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's a good point. He's being whipped into a frenzy by the enemy propaganda. Like the kid in a war movie who goes mad and tries to kill everyone because he couldn't take the pressure.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20786 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Rockchic Brian says Adam can do everything Freddie could do and MORE........What is the more bit then?

Taken out of context and combined with your inability to practice basic reading comprehension separated from your own biases, you're absolutely right.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Never ever heard Brian saying Freddie was the gift of god when Queen were together those 21 years?

Because it was work. Nobody in 1977 thought their current band or any of its members were "legendary" or a "gift from god". It was a job, and they did it. They weren't analyzing what they were doing. Only decades of hindsight can have these guys realize how special their bands were.

If it takes a "gift from god" to sit in for someone like Freddie, it's still a compliment to him, because that's how high the bar has to be set.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

bucsateflon user not visiting Queenzone.com
bucsateflon
Royalty: 1009 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

take your pills you loopy, nutter, fruitcake, are you trying to get 30 thousand posts this week?

Fuckers
Day dop user not visiting Queenzone.com
Day dop
Royalty: 1214 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimmy Dean wrote:

Day dop wrote:

Jimmy Dean wrote:

Could it be everyone is right? If I was still 15, I’d agree, Brian is a total douchebag dissing Freddie... everyone is hotheaded when they’re young and immature. But now I’m 35, and I think Brian’s comments are spot on. Actually the Wizard said it best from my point of view, today.

With maturity, we learn how to understand Brian’s comments without distorting his intent. He never said Adam is better than Freddie. Nor did he say Adam is as good as Freddie. He meant Adam can handle the duties just as Freddie did. Whereas Paul Rodgers, who is CLEARLY a better vocalist than Adam Lambert, could not.

You're missing the point. There's zero distortion.

May said: “Adam can do all the stuff that Freddie did and more."

If you don't think that's May saying Lambert is "better", then I suggest you look up the definition of the word better, the re-read what May said again.

Even if you want to argue May's intent, the end result is the same, it's yet another example of May shitting over Freddie's memory, whether it was done intentionally out of spite towards the "troll" in the heat of moment or not.

You just pissed on my rug, dude.

I read it again but not the definition to better as I believe you are distorting what Brian literally said. He did say he can do what Freddie did and more. But he didn’t say that he is better than Freddie. It is the definition “and more” that is being misconstrued....

Adam uses props, does more wardrobe changes, does tease the audience and speak to the audience a fair bit more than Freddie did... and I’ve been to 2 shows... he gets annoying to listen to after a while.

What “and more” did Brian mean? Is it more plausible to assume the list above? Or does it suit everyone to assume he meant better vocals or that he is better at writing songs, etc.

I agree, Adam does do “more” to compensate for what he lacks. And as such, does a fuckin ace job under the circumstances of not actually being Freddie Mercury.

In no way, shape, or form have I distorted anything. In fact, I've quoted May's words.

Day dop

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

May also said, "He’s not Freddie, and he’s not pretending to be him, but he has a parallel set of equipment."

No, Lambert does not have a parallel set of equipment whatsoever.

"Mercury’s vocal cords just moved faster than other people’s. While a typical vibrato will fluctuate between 5.4 Hz and 6.9 Hz, Mercury’s was 7.04 Hz. To look at that in a more scientific way, a perfect sine wave for vibrato assumes the value of 1, which is pretty close to where famous opera singer Luciano Pavarotti sat. Mercury, on the other hand, averaged a value of 0.57, meaning he was vibrating something in his throat even Pavarotti couldn’t move."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/new-scientific-study-confirms-the-audience-freddie-mercury-had-an-unparalleled-singing-voice/
https://www.npr.org/2016/04/25/475611808/why-freddie-mercurys-voice-was-so-great-as-explained-by-science

Sparks.

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has been hyping Lambert up for the past 8 years so nothing is new here.
You lot on here refuse to accept that Brian is been disrespectful to Freddie, because he was jealous of Freddie and that is why they had loads of bust ups in the studio because Brian was so slow and Freddie got on to him about it. Get real Brian has become so desperate enough to get the tickets sold and make folk curious to go to the concerts to check out Adam its a plot and a lot of people have fallen for it.

Sparks.

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day drop Lets see if Vocal Harmony or her user name Circle of Eidolon comments on your post, Mrs righteous now i have spoken lol

The Real Wizard

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

You lot on here refuse to accept that Brian is been disrespectful to Freddie

No. You have trouble accepting that others don't agree with your opinions. As ever, you have no idea how to differentiate between your personal opinions and facts.

What's the end game of your little crusade here? Have you slowed down the ticket sales or had their Oscars for the Bohemian Rhapsody film revoked with those 2193 posts?

The Real Wizard

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day dop wrote:

May also said, "He’s not Freddie, and he’s not pretending to be him, but he has a parallel set of equipment."

"Mercury’s vocal cords just moved faster than other people’s. While a typical vibrato will fluctuate between 5.4 Hz and 6.9 Hz, Mercury’s was 7.04 Hz. To look at that in a more scientific way, a perfect sine wave for vibrato assumes the value of 1, which is pretty close to where famous opera singer Luciano Pavarotti sat. Mercury, on the other hand, averaged a value of 0.57, meaning he was vibrating something in his throat even Pavarotti couldn’t move."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/new-scientific-study-confirms-the-audience-freddie-mercury-had-an-unparalleled-singing-voice/
https://www.npr.org/2016/04/25/475611808/why-freddie-mercurys-voice-was-so-great-as-explained-by-science

Sure. And at his best nobody could touch him.

But let's not forget that said equipment sometimes failed for entire tours. Have you listened to the bootleg tapes from 1979 and 84?

Brian is in marketing mode. Of course he's going to say nice things about the person who's sitting in for the greatest frontman of all time. He can't say he's not quite as good.

Sparks.

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian should keep his mouth shut and not say things like Adam can do what Freddie does and MORE......... Disrespectful to the late great Freddie,

brunolezouf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 79 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Had Marc Martel been "chosen" to perform with what is left of Queen, there would have been other (or the same, maybe?) complaints probably saying that he is nothing more than an imitator who has skills to play the piano and that he is there to collect money from the Queen cash machine. If you work with someone and you have chosen to do so, you can't be something else than supportive (and this is obviously what May is), or you stop working with that person (reminds me of a story between a certain band called Queen and a singer called Paul Rodgers, maybe they wisely stopped working together because they thought supporting each other woud be complicated but did not want to go into ridiculous criticism from each part in the press or end in a bad mood towards each other, I don't know, I'm not in their mind)

people Booing Lambert all the time make me think of my dad who has a favourite singer, long dead now, but can't bear hearing singers singing his songs as a tribute, just because it does not match with the imaginary world he has built around this singer. The sound doesn't fit with the picture any more when he can hear tributes to his favourite singer. Maybe it is a way of expressing some kind of childish frustration in a different way now that he is an adult.

I like the way Marc Martel sings Queen songs and I think George Michael was very good at it too. I don't like the way Lambert does it. But that's fine to me if people enjoy it. I've tried to listen to shows of Q+AL but I couldn't get into it. I didn't feel the sing along thing I experience with original Freddie Mercury or even Martel. Lambert has a great voice( and yes I think he is able to sing without having to alter the notes because his voice gets strained) and I wouldn't be able to sing half the way he does, he is very talented and if Queen members are happy to play with him, so who would I be to insult Lambert (or May who supports him) like some people do on this forum. If you don't like it, just don't listen to it. There are enough roios of original Queen to listen to and enjoy.

Day dop

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

Day dop wrote:

Sure. And at his best nobody could touch him.

But let's not forget that said equipment sometimes failed for entire tours. Have you listened to the bootleg tapes from 1979 and 84?

Brian is in marketing mode. Of course he's going to say nice things about the person who's sitting in for the greatest frontman of all time. He can't say he's not quite as good.

It's as though May is comparing a Ferrari with a Nissan. However, the Ferrari's engine used to act up during long runs. So May is saying that the Nissan has a parallel set of equipment.

May doesn't need to do that anyway, even for marketing purposes (and I know you're not saying that he does). When it comes to marketing, the movie did wonders for them, and they were already shifting enough tickets before.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inspired wrote:

Brian should keep his mouth shut and not say things like Adam can do what Freddie does and MORE......... Disrespectful to the late great Freddie,

You're out of your league. You couldn't even qualify for a high school debating team.

dudeofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 20 Jun 19, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard, re:

>Nobody in 1977 thought their current band or any of its members were "legendary" or a "gift from god".

Apart from Freddie, obviously: "I'm not going to be a star, I'm going to be a legend!"