Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Part Three: New thread while Thor and Lee's book is in Publication

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB050, This is a nice non judgemental place to hang out.I had to go back and read the first thread too.I joined on the second thread and it's been a lovely experience we are glad to have you here.You will learn alot here I know I have and appreciate everyone that has taken their time to do the research to share here.It"s nice to meet you.

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee,Brian does love his guitar and he is amazing.His solos are too.Roger is good on those drums too.He is in his own little world.You know they say alot of drummers have to wear hearing devices because of the damage to the ears.I wonder if he has to wear anything or has any hearing damage.He has played those drums for so long.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 516 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome JB050. As soon as I read your intro I thought you sounded great for this thread. We've had some rough spots but overall it's a very friendly place. I came in fairly early in the life of the thread so you'd think I'd be more aware of certain aspects. I wish I'd taken notes like you did. I almost never forget a name, but I wish I could remember life facts that people have shared. I'm always trying to remember if someone shared their occupation, location, kids or grandkids, etc. I'd love to have a little cheat sheet next to me as I'm reading the thread. I also wish there was a search engine specific to this thread (unrealistic, I know) because this thread is so huge that it is extremely difficult to find specific posts from the past. I once spent more than an hour going back through the second thread to find a post of my own because I wanted to see how strong I'd been in my opinion. I finally found it, and was smart enough to note the page. We do go through dry spells from time to time, but I expect it to explode once we all have our hands on Thor and Lee's book. We are very active now due to the Queen+AL tour. You never know what will jump start us.

Neither Thor nor Lee is posting much right now, but Thor pops in from time to time. Lee is less frequent but I love his posts because he can cover a lot of ground in one post when he does show up. Both of them are a lot of fun.

Freddie Darling, I couldn't see your shirt well enough and couldn't get the picture to go larger. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have way too many Freddie shirts and need to force myself to stop looking at them. I'm verging on way too many Freddie coffee mugs too...……..especially since I don't even drink coffee. For me coffee is totally a liquid for dipping biscotti.

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi All,

I saw Queen in concert a few nights ago in DC. They were fantastic. The show began with the set piece (Queen's crest) slowly rising up to the ceiling of the arena to reveal a closed curtain. The curtain then opened and there was Brian May's silhouette. The crowd went wild as he started playing "Now I'm Here."

I also loved how Brian and Roger incorporated Freddie into the show via video. The crowd sang along with almost every song but whenever Freddie appeared on screen and sang, everyone quieted down so they could hear his beautiful voice. It was wonderful. And Queen's light show is just as amazing as it ever was. Roger and Brian just turned 70 and 72 respectively. Thanks to Adam Lambert for keeping the songs alive, and Roger and Brian on stage!!

P.S. I saw The Rolling Stones last month as well. I feel like I have to see these classic rock bands while I can. Tickets are expensive, but if you can swing it, I highly recommend seeing a show. These concerts are absolutely exhilarating!

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2063 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CHEVYMAN wrote:

Emdee,Brian does love his guitar and he is amazing.His solos are too.Roger is good on those drums too.He is in his own little world.You know they say alot of drummers have to wear hearing devices because of the damage to the ears.I wonder if he has to wear anything or has any hearing damage.He has played those drums for so long.

Apparently Roger does wear hearing aids in both ears now.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 541 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I might be in the minority, but guitar solos are always one of my favorite parts of any Queen song I listen to...I wouldn't dream of leaving when Brian is playing! One of my "Bucket List" items is to learn how to play Queen music on the electric guitar someday. (I don't even own an electric guitar, nor have I ever held one) Actually, if the truth be told, my REAL bucket list item is to have Brian May teach me how to play the electric guitar....that might be out of my reach though! LOL

Jo T. and emdee...I am kicking myself for not purchasing tickets for a second show. I haven't even seen the first concert yet, but I know I will want to see another. The only show that is within driving distance for me is the one at Madison Square Garden. I checked Stub Hub...the tickets are starting at over $300. Nope. I'm hoping someone sells their tickets for a bargain price as it gets closer to the day of the show...if so, I would seriously consider buying a couple. I am not so sure my endlessly patient husband wants to see 2 concerts only a few days apart though. I just floated the idea out to him...let's just say his expression was NOT one of joyous anticipation.

emdee0809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome JB050- taking notes was a smart thing to do- Katydyd said it best- we need an index for this thread!!

Chevy- good point about Roger- rockchic65- gave us an answer- thanks!!

Rainbow-husbands don't seem to have that same passion we do:)

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 541 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know what you mean about needing an index. The most helpful tool I have found is the QueenZone search box. Most people probably know this....at the top of any QueenZone page is a search box. Let's say you wanted to reread the conversations that pertained to Marie's Crisis...a bar Thor has talked about on several occasions. You would just type in Thor Marie's Crisis and hit search. (Do not put your search in quotation marks "Thor Marie's Crisis" ...you won't get any results) You will get a list of all the pages that pertain to that topic. It's important to write Thor in the search, otherwise you can get results from the other threads as well. While that is not an index...at least it narrows things down considerably when you are trying to find a particular conversation from the past.

emdee... You might be right about husbands. LOL. In all fairness, I have to say my husband has been wonderful about supporting my Freddie-Quest. He did attend two Queen concerts a week apart, and one of them was about 5 hours away! He definitely likes Queen, but is not passionate about them like I am. If this is the last show he ever sees, he will be okay with that. I will leave the upcoming concert on a "Queen high", grateful to have been there, but in the back of my mind I may be thinking "This could be the last time I will ever see them perform live". Most of the Queen/Freddie things I own have been given to me by my husband, some as birthday/Christmas gifts, and some were surprise gifts he ordered "just because". I have 2 Freddie mouse pads, one for home (that I am using now) and one for work that were both surprise gifts. By the way, we have been married 13 years...and these have been the best 13 years of my life!

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rock chick, Thanks I figured he did not have much to protect the hearing back in the day when he started with the band.He has been playing so many years it hasn't affected his performance at all he is better than ever and as handsome as ever.Thanks for the info.

Posted: 03 Aug 19, 21:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee,I think about random things and I dont know why Roger's ears came to mind but as I looked at him hit the hell out of the drums at the concertJjo showed us I thought about him needing hearing devices.My grandfather worked for the railroad many years and by the time he retired he was almost deaf in both ears.You would think him being a union worker all those years they would've taken better care of their employees go figure.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 379 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!!!! Much appreciated!! Long post alert. Wanted to get back/ reply to each of you individually.

Rainbow61
Thank you!! Ya-it is hard to keep track so many pages back. So much fun, so enlightening and enriching! This thread has really become a great novel! I actually created a QZ login to be part of it. So I now want to go back and view the ‘attachments’

I love that: a "Freddie-Quest" best kind of quest. I can’t get enough too. Says so much about him that there is always more to learn.

Also, wow, I was smiling reading what you wrote about your marriage and husband!!

Jo T
That’s so cool! It would be amazing if you did the Queen Concert road trip to Chicago!! I love that you are contemplating it.

I get chills hearing accounts like yours, that you may have been at the festival. So glad you were at the Queen concert. I’m sure it does give great pause.

NotQuiteAShilling. I also thank you for that restored live aid video. Amazing quality! Very interesting that
"Is This The World We Created?" Is the reason it was pulled. I had watched it a lot and wondered why it was taken off. Good to know!

FreddieDarling— thank you for the shout out and message!! Feel fortunate to be among all of you.

Amidds
Wow! That’s so funny and super cool that you could read it openly at work. What a great suggestion to check library for As it Began. Wasn’t aware of it before seeing it on here. That’s excellent that you found one. I’m going to try that too.

Emdee0809, Can’t wait to hear if you dropped in at the convention.

Emdee0809 and Katydyd5
- Katydyd said it best- we need an index for this thread!!
I agree an index would be cool- when I was reading your post, I was envisioning copying all in to Word files. Haha. Ya, I know that’s crazy-would take a long time.

Thanks for the tip Rainbow, I will have to check out the search option.

(Welcome JB050- taking notes was a smart thing to do)- Emdee0809, thank you!! Can’t wait to hear if you dropped in at the convention. Would have been something to get there.

Has anyone on this thread been to one?
What was it like? Love that Peter is there.

CHEVYMAN. Nice to meet you too! I think I’ll be circling back for refreshers too. I have been really touched by the depth of conversations, candidness, kindness here.

Katydyd5 —(Welcome JB050. As soon as I read your intro I thought you sounded great for this thread. We've had some rough spots)

Thank you!! That’s really cool. I truly loved seeing how the rough spots were handled. It was really an example of love conquering in the end. The ‘ignore’ response was brilliant and could feel the protectiveness you had for each other. Beautiful!

DCQueen. Great concert description. Thanks!

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo T. Thanks for the Brian solo tip.
What a treat that will be cant wait.

Rainbow61. Agreed about the solos.! I’m with you.

I really try not to leave my seat in concerts unless I have to. Always worried I’ll miss something good.

All, I have a curiosity question, have any of you come across photos or descriptions of the conservatory Freddie had built at Garden Lodge?

Jim’s book described it at as completely unique, it’s always great to see Freddie’s artistic and unique visions. I haven’t had luck finding much. Could be yet error. :-)

If it hasn’t been covered already, I’ll circle back to it for Thor and Lee’s on-site perspective too.

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, have you seen this?
http://shop.brianmayguitars.co.uk/

You never know.

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 01:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

User error that is. (Not “yet”). Ok done for now.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Emdee- please update if u get to the convention! I found out way too late to try to go and I don’t think those happen too often. I plan to keep an eye open so I can catch it quicker next time.

JB- um, don’t get to do my reading openly, lol. I hide in my office with the door cracked, acting like I’m scratching my head over balancing accounts. I think my reading face must look convincingly like my concentrating face cuz I keep getting away with it ;). My library doesn’t actually carry the book, they are getting it on loan from somewhere else, so look into that as well. I’ve had such a hard time finding a copy, I may just copy it to re-read in the future!

Rainbow- awesome tip! I’ve been grouping QZ with key words on Google to try to find certain topics. It usually works but not always. Thanks!

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 01:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erm, meant to say “reading biographies” face!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 516 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 01:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I did know about the QueenZone search box and have used it in the past. For some reason it hasn't been successful for me, until now. I typed in my own name and the topic I was looking for recently and it came right up. I think the problem in the past is that I just put in the topic when I should have also used my name or the name of the person connected to the topic. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds,I did that all the time when I wanted to look busy when I worked in payroll at Toyota especially if I was playing games online or looking at fb.Its a great idea.

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds — (JB- um, don’t get to do my reading openly, lol.). That is HYSTERICAL. Very clever.

Posted: 04 Aug 19, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds...and, thanks for the library tip. Good to know. If they don’t have it, I will ask if they can get it thru the sharing program. I’d love to read it.